GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Run-flats better than regular tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 02:43 PM
gbondioli
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Run-flats better than regular tires?

I just don't know about the service dept at my dealership... They often seem to think the opposite of what I read here on CL.

Anyway, I mentioned that I was thinking about ditching the runflat tires the next time I buy tires. My service tech said it was a bad idea. Not only for safety reasons, which I can understand, but he said, "I've heard nothing but horror stories from customers that switched to regular tires." WHAT?!? He says the ride quality will be terrible without runflats. I've read only happy testimonials from people on this forum that got rid of their runflats.

Who else has experienced both and has an opinion to share?
Old 06-02-07, 02:48 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

My 55 year old uncle said that the run-flats on his GS430 were noisy and a terrible ride. He said the only good thing about them is that they "run-flat."
Old 06-02-07, 03:28 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleeper408
My 55 year old uncle said that the run-flats on his GS430 were noisy and a terrible ride. He said the only good thing about them is that they "run-flat."
I think so too!
Old 06-02-07, 04:10 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Your service tech is an idiot! I took run-flats off of my GS450h after the first week of ownership. That was five months ago, and I'm just as happy with the ride without the run flats as I was the day I took them off!
Old 06-02-07, 04:49 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Wink

Originally Posted by gbondioli
My service tech said it was a bad idea. Not only for safety reasons, which I can understand, but he said, "I've heard nothing but horror stories from customers that switched to regular tires." WHAT?!? He says the ride quality will be terrible without runflats. I've read only happy testimonials from people on this forum that got rid of their runflats.

Who else has experienced both and has an opinion to share?
Your service tech is a bloody moron.
The only good thing about run flats are if you get a flat, well you can run on them flat........ no need for a spare.
As for noise... runflats are absolutly terrible and almost and basic non run flat will be quieter.
And as far as comfort, My supoer sport PS2's from Mich, which are incredibly hard rubber, NON run flat, are quieter than the old Dunlop 5000's Run flats that came on this car.

Switch them out. You will be nothing but happy, unless you get a flat and don't have a spare, then you'll wish you had them, but besides that, your service tech is a moron, and runflats suck.

Have I made my point.
Old 06-02-07, 09:11 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'd just keep them on until they need to be replaced.
Old 06-02-07, 09:37 PM
gbondioli
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yang1815
I think I'd just keep them on until they need to be replaced.
I am, but they'll be worn out by the end of the summer. Then I'll switch to some even rougher riding runflat Blizzaks... But next summer I'll be tire shopping for sure.

Kinda off-topic, but I'm thinking about a fat 19's setup for next summer. Would that make my 18" spare tire useless? Or would I be able to ride for awhile with one tire smaller without damaging anything?
Old 06-03-07, 01:10 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

if you have a smaller wheel, just get a larger tire.... instead of a 40 get a 50, or whatever your dimensions are.
This isn't ideal, but it woul dbe ok for the 15 minute ride to a shop.
Old 06-04-07, 03:33 PM
rlj4246
Pole Position

The very reason run flats work the way they do makes it obvious the regular tires would ride better. those stiff sidewalls cannot possibly give like a regular tire. Regular tires will also save you some weight, thus better mileage, but I don't know if it will be measureable. I agree, the service writer is a idiot.
Old 06-04-07, 04:05 PM
HKN
Lead Lap

what he said^^^
Old 06-08-07, 04:39 PM
Franknyc30
Driver

well ill play devils advocate. Ive had the dunlop runflats on my car since oct 06 approximately 8 months with 12000 miles. although the ride is somewhat not as smooth as i would like, it isnt that bad. Ive read all the bad reviews on the dunlops and my only complaint is as previously stated "ride quality" although, not that bad. Another complaint is the tread wear. according to lexus and dunlop the life of the tires is about 18000 miles. My tires look like they can go 10K to 15K. Tread wear is minimal and even all around. Maybe i just got the only good set. My driving style isnt as aggressive as it used to be, but i dont baby the car either.
Old 06-09-07, 05:49 AM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

^^^ Agree with Frank. I have 16,600 on mine. Just measured the tread depth and it's 8/32 in. According to Tirerack the original tread depth for these tires is 10/32, so I think I will safely get 30K out of them, maybe more.

Too bad, though, I'd love to replace them with Michelin PS2 all seasons, but can't bring myself to do it until these are more worn out.

One other comment ... I had a nail puncture at about 3K miles. It was in the middle of the tread. TPMS went off because it was a slow leak. I couldn't find anyplace that would patch a runflat tire, so I had to replace it. I guess once the tire has been punctured and repaired, it's no longer considered a runflat ... so I guess the tire places won't touch it. If I get another puncture, that will trigger replacement of all 4 tires at this point.
Old 06-11-07, 12:38 PM
bbnurdone
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Gbondioli - I think the person you spoke to is just a Lexus Tech helper, WHAT AN IDIOT. I have 07 GS350 AWD for over 6 months now with around 7K miles came with runflats and they are noisy as hell. I will keep them on until they need to be replaced and looking forward to get rid of them.

PS: Turn off audio system when you make sharp corner turn and you will hear music come out from runflats...LOL

Last edited by bbnurdone; 06-12-07 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-11-07, 12:51 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Runflats are noisy, ride terribly, and only last 20k miles.

So, other than being able to travel 50 miles with a nail in the tire (that you have to get changed later anyways), what's the point?

Sure you'll be able to drive for 50 miles to the nearest service station, but I'm more concerned about how comfortable my car is during the other 20k miles on the road...
Old 06-12-07, 12:12 PM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

I have no problem at all with my run-flats. I think it's more an impression people have of them and an exaggerated truth than anything else. I drove a GS350 without them and there was a difference but only noticeable because I was looking for a difference. When others have drove in my car with the run-flats, they never thought anything of it. It's a relatively quiet and comfortable ride.

Now that I know what it's like to have them, I consider it a waste of money to replace them before they are worn. Furthermore, when I consider the safety aspect of them, I'm not sure if when I do need new tires will I choose run-flats at that time or not.

There must be a reason more manufacturers such and Lexi and BMW are starting to make run-flats a standard on more cars. If they were soooooo bad as some people would have you believe, I believe the luxury brands would stay away from them. IMHO, you should keep them and when the time comes compare the difference. You may decide to switch out, but I would highly suggest evaluating with an open mind and your own experience. Run-flat technology is very different now than just 3 years ago and I'm sure it will be more improved in the next year or so as well.

Quick Reply: Run-flats better than regular tires?