GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Car's sudden shakes during drive. Anyone had same experience?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 09:17 PM
lexlovgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car's sudden shakes during drive. Anyone had same experience?

I have 06 GS300 AWD with 35,000 miles. Two days ago while cruising at 70 MPH car begin to shake violently. As I increase the speed, it shakes more. It feels like transmission is having some issues.
I stop the car and cut off the engine. Restart the car and drive. The problem went away. I took it to the dealer right away but they didn't find anything. They said they had reset some kind of master switch and told me to come back if the same problem arises again. It happened to me twice so far. First time the shake was less and went away quickly but this time it was longer and more forceful.
Does anyone have the same experience?
Old 04-26-07, 07:16 AM
audimerc
Driver

I had a similiar problem with my Audi A4 and it was the O2 sensor. It scared the crap out of me because I was doing 120km/h and I get this violent shaking of the car. If it doesn't register with a code then wait till the O2 sensor fully goes and then the check engine light will lighten up a coded should be registered on the computer.
You say it is the tranny then do you feel any tranny slippage or does your car not shift properly?
Old 04-27-07, 09:03 AM
lexlovgs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Audimerc. I feel I still can gain the speed but did not push to test since I was scare when the car started vibrating. Since I do not know about car much, I need to ask what does O2 sensor do? and why does it need to be coded in the computer?
Old 04-27-07, 10:05 AM
audimerc
Driver

The O2 sensor helps the engine maintain maximum efficiency by measuring air and fuel. It tries to maintain a efficient ratio between the two but if the O2 sensor goes then the computer guesses and that causes performance problems like stuttering and in my case the stuttering was so bad that it felt like very bad vibrations. When this happens the computer gets a code that it sure store but sometimes when you shut down the car the computer resets and the code disappears.
1. Does your tranny feel like it is slipping? If it is it should feel more like a small stutter than violent vibration. Also to check the tranny is slipping put your car into drive and just let it pick up speed by itself without pressing the gas pedal and see if the car stutters if it does then the tranny is slipping.
2. When it happens next time see if check engine light comes on.
3. Next time you get this problem try to head right to the dealer without turning the car off and see if they can plug the computer in immediately to see if there are any codes.
4. Did you put any bad gas into your car recently? Make sure you get the proper octane and also purchase gas from a reputable distributor.
5.If it is the O2 sensor than it will get considerable worse as the sensor goes bad.
I hope this helps, it is from past experiences but I am no mechanic so if it gets much worse and none of the above apply go to the dealership and let them figure it out.
Old 04-27-07, 06:48 PM
lexlovgs
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much Audi!
Old 05-01-07, 08:01 AM
hieu
Rookie

well i had the same shaking on my car going over 65.. it was this gluie thing from a can that i inflated in my tires couple days earlier i had a nail in my tire. thats what cause my car to shake. hope you didnt put any of those run flat can i your tire.
Old 05-01-07, 09:24 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by hieu
well i had the same shaking on my car going over 65.. it was this gluie thing from a can that i inflated in my tires couple days earlier i had a nail in my tire. thats what cause my car to shake. hope you didnt put any of those run flat can i your tire.
As a side note, if you put that stuff in your tire, you will likely need a new pressure sensor...
Old 05-01-07, 10:15 AM
lexlovgs
Driver School Candidate

No! I did not put any of that stuff and I do not have any problem with the tires. I think it is due to that O2 sensor as Audi desribed. I will follow his advise to go to dealer directly as soon as it happens again.
Old 05-01-07, 10:35 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lexlovgs
No! I did not put any of that stuff and I do not have any problem with the tires. I think it is due to that O2 sensor as Audi desribed. I will follow his advise to go to dealer directly as soon as it happens again.
Sorry for the confusion... I was replying to the poster who had shaking because of that stuff.

I agree with Audi on your situation... Good luck!