GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Can we use ceramic brake pads on OEM rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 06:03 PM
lexneffect
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can we use ceramic brake pads on OEM rotors?

Hey Guys,

Was wondering if you can help me settle a debate I have between a friend and myself? Can I put ceramic brake pads on a stock Lexus OEM brake rotor? I really hate the amount of brake dust and have been looking around for replacements but I keep getting mixed answers. My friend tells me that I have to use the 'normal' non-metallic low-dusting brake pads. He says that using the ceramic brake pads on a normal stock rotor can cause damage to the braking system.....is that true? Also, any recommendations on what type of pads to use because there seems to be so many to choose from and I'm not certain which ones are better.

Thanks,
Curtis
Old 04-17-07, 07:33 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think so. 2gs can also use ceramic pads on the oem rotors, which reminds me i need to change that ebc green stuff out (they are very harsh on the rotors )
Old 04-17-07, 08:11 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

dude u can get free pads from the dealership that are dustless, toyota came out with a new pad.
Old 04-17-07, 10:17 PM
lexneffect
Pole Position

Really??? I'm gonna have to check that out with the dealership tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Curtis

Originally Posted by AlBoston
dude u can get free pads from the dealership that are dustless, toyota came out with a new pad.
Old 04-18-07, 06:05 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Your friend is without a clue. Of course you can use ceramic pads with OEM rotors!
Old 04-18-07, 02:42 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexneffect
Hey Guys,

Can I put ceramic brake pads on a stock Lexus OEM brake rotor? My friend says that using the ceramic brake pads on a normal stock rotor can cause damage to the braking system.....is that true?

Thanks,
Curtis
The answer to your question is YES.
I am not sure what kind of 'damage' your friend is referring to... I guess, may be, premature rotor wear (which is possible, if you get aggressive pads) or rotor warping (which really has more to do with your rotors and your driving and braking style).
However, you need to be aware of the characteristics of the pads that you are putting on the car. Think about the following:
1) Stopping power (hot and cold - basically operating temperature range).
2) Dusting.
3) Rotor wear.
4) Noise.
You should have an idea of what you are looking for, along these criteria.
I personally have Akebono's Ceramic pads (OEM equipment on 2nd gen GS, I believe) and I am very happy with them - they don't dust much and they are fairly kind on rotors (2 pad sets / rotor, before replacement, which works out to ~140K for me).

You can read some user reviews at Tirerack to get some additional info.
Old 04-18-07, 03:15 PM
Izzone
Rookie

I had the Lexus TSB low dusting pads installed for no charge at the dealership. I would reccomend those before buying aftermarket,
Old 04-18-07, 04:36 PM
lexneffect
Pole Position

Hey all,

I just got off the phone w/ one of the service advisors from the local Lexus dealership and he advised me that I can get the low-dusting brake pads replaced under warranty for no additional charge. He did, however, tell me that many of the customers who have got these pads replaced did not like it due to additional brake squeak or noise. I asked how much noise and the advisor said it varies due to driving habits. He said that many people prefer to have a little more brake dust without the noise and that once the swap was done, they cannot change it back without a charge to the customer so I told him I would think about it and get back to him.

That being said, what do you all think? Since you already helped me with my other question, I was thinking of just purchasing the EBC red stuff (ceramic) pads and just paying someone to install it. It sounds like it’ll work pretty well but I’m not certain so just wondering if anyone has experiences with this manufacturer.

I’m really anxious to get these replaced so I can install my new wheels and all. I really don’t want to install my new rims and have it immediately get dusty so I figure I’ll just have everything completed before my wheels are installed. Any help is appreciated…..thanks again.

Curtis