GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Making the ML sub sound better

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 04:20 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, guys, for the nice comments.

Originally Posted by Khankn32
Whew nice job and wonderful write up!. hey DrexLex I live all the way in SC mind if I drive over there so you can hook my up to? how much the set up cost? and how long it take for you to install?
The amp was $230 and the wiring kit was $30. Since the ML sub is 14 ohms instead of 4 ohms, the Kicker amp can only actually deliver about half its rated power--but that's no problem--250W is still more than the ML amp could do. So you don't need to go nuts getting a 4GA power lead installed. 8GA is plenty hefty. 40 or 50 amp fuse is enough, too.

The complete install can be done in a weekend. It's not too hard to do. I did not remove the battery to reach the grommet where the power lead passes through the firewall, but it was tight to reach in there with my fish wire. I also did not remove the rear seats at all. I pushed a fish wire between the upper side of the rear seat next to the door jamb, and it found the hole leading into the trunk.

Originally Posted by cohort
What size woofer does Lexus use and how many Watts can it handle? I'm thinking of using my Alpine Amp and getting a gain switch as well.
It’s a 10” driver. Not sure how many watts it can take, but since I am not really playing the system any louder, or driving more bass into the car (just shaping the bass to sound better), the stress on the driver ought to be the same as before. The Kicker amp I’m using claims 2x225W which is a 30Vrms swing into 4 ohms. In bridged mode that’s 250W into the 14 ohm sub, below clipping. I suspect that’s about double what the ML amp provided for the sub, but I don’t really know.

Last edited by DrexLex; 03-28-07 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 08:57 PM
hieu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey drex i would like to know which corner did you ground your negative your wire by in the truck?
Old 04-05-07, 10:48 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hieu
hey drex i would like to know which corner did you ground your negative your wire by in the truck?
I ran the ground lead up inside the trunk’s side cover just next to the amplifier, pulled it out the top, and screwed it to the underside of metalwork right in that area. There were already some holes, so I found a screw that fit. Then replaced the dress panels, so it’s not visible. Absolutely zero engine noise/whine.
Old 04-06-07, 09:11 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like your work and absolutely agree with on the taste of music thing... My non-ML OEM stereo is a mediocre system but I hesitated to modifiy it like I have done to my other cars. Anyway...

When mounting the amplifier on the trunk floor, does it getting into the way of the other uses of the trunk? or any inconvenience (say you want to put two golf bags)?
Old 04-06-07, 12:38 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by memasterac
I like your work and absolutely agree with on the taste of music thing... My non-ML OEM stereo is a mediocre system but I hesitated to modifiy it like I have done to my other cars. Anyway...

When mounting the amplifier on the trunk floor, does it getting into the way of the other uses of the trunk? or any inconvenience (say you want to put two golf bags)?
Yes, with the limited space in the GS trunk, I'm sure many folks will find my "floor mount" solution crimps their plans. In my case, I've had the GS for 1.5 years, and never carried anything more than a computer bag back there. So it's not an issue for me. I just wanted to avoid cutting up the trunk liner to allow mounting the amp to the metalwork, like against the back seat frame, or burying the amp underneath where the air circulation would be impaired. In my previous car I made an amp mounting board which held 2 amps and the DSP EQ/Surround boxes, and it was more work than I felt like doing just for 1 amp this time, but of course it keeps the floor space open.

Last edited by DrexLex; 04-12-07 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-14-07, 09:55 AM
hieu
Rookie

hey drex thanks alot.. and one more question, did you use the factory sub out line to connect to the amp or did you use your mids line? There two rca input did you put it together to connect?
Old 04-14-07, 10:24 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

hey drex thanks alot.. and one more question, did you use the factory sub out line to connect to the amp or did you use your mids line? There two rca input did you put it together to connect?
I used the ML amp's sub speaker outputs. The Kicker amp has 2 input channels, and each ch has a red and a black lead. I tied the two reds together, tied the two blacks together, and this is where the speaker leads that were removed from the sub itself are now connected. Note the Kicker amp's 2 channels operate in opposite polarity, so when fed from the same signal, the outputs are opposite -- a mono bridge amp.

So I'm not actually using RCA inputs on the Kicker amp, as this model has both RCAs and speaker level inputs. If your amp only has RCA line level inputs, you'll need to drop the signals at least 20 dB (10:1) to keep from clipping the amp's input stage.

Last edited by DrexLex; 05-11-14 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-14-07, 02:48 PM
hieu
Rookie

thanks drex ima try to install a new sub and amp sometime next weeks...
Old 04-18-07, 09:47 AM
hieu
Rookie

hey drex is the 12 volt Accessory wire that SKINNY gray wire last plug near the rear Not the Thick one right? THANKS

Last edited by hieu; 04-18-07 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-18-07, 12:15 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

hey drex is the 12 volt Accessory wire that SKINNY gray wire last plug near the rear Not the Thick one right? THANKS
Yes, it's a thin gray wire.
Old 05-01-07, 11:44 AM
hieu
Rookie

i did it.. its sound great. i put in one 12in. pioneer shallow sub. save me alot of space in the trunk. =)
Old 05-01-07, 02:17 PM
bturkel1@v
Driver

I paid $184 for amp delivered and $34 for amp kit. It does sound a lot better, since I have a 450h th einstall was easier since battery is in the rear.
Old 05-01-07, 11:44 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bturkel1@v
I paid $184 for amp delivered and $34 for amp kit. It does sound a lot better, since I have a 450h th einstall was easier since battery is in the rear.
Congratulations on doing the mod.

Hmm, I'm wondering--do those batteries in the trunk deep discharge while driving, as opposed to the "normal" battery, which pretty much sits at 12-14v all the time? Might want to put a voltmeter on it--or ask a Hybrid expert what voltage range they normally experience. If the voltage drops below, say, 8v, you might not only starve the amp (limit the power output), but it might cause the internal regulators to fall out, thus inducing some noise or unstable operation. I'm not certain it will be a problem, but it depends on the amp's design. Might want to check it out.
Old 05-02-07, 06:34 AM
bturkel1@v
Driver

No the car battery is separate on the left hand side.
Old 09-18-07, 06:08 AM
WEBINTL
Pole Position

quick question. where can i locate the remote wire for the car aka accessory. i want the amp to only come on with the stereo.

Quick Reply: Making the ML sub sound better