GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Clean off snow/ice before opening the trunk!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-07, 01:41 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clean off snow/ice before opening the trunk!!!

This was already mentioned in a few of the threads about potential 3GS design flows. I didn't realize that because I usually clean off snow/ice in the morning or before driving a car, and than open a trunk if I need to. Well, we just got a nasty ice/slush storm here on East Coast (75deg Wed, 65deg Thurs, and ice storm on Friday - gotta love it!!!). Everything is covered with icy/slushy mix. Just came back from shopping, opened my trunk from inside - boom, all the ice/slush went right into that groove area between the bottom of the rear window and the trunk opening. Some of the slush went right into the trunk with groceries. The fun part was that I could NOT close my trunk because that groove I mentioned above has to be absolutely clean/empty in order to close the trunk. So, a few of my neighbors with Bimmers were laughing at me scooping that slush out and finally got a chance to get back at me for making RWD jokes at their expense

Anyway, just letting my frustration out
Old 03-17-07, 02:42 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twister
This was already mentioned in a few of the threads about potential 3GS design flows. I didn't realize that because I usually clean off snow/ice in the morning or before driving a car, and than open a trunk if I need to. Well, we just got a nasty ice/slush storm here on East Coast (75deg Wed, 65deg Thurs, and ice storm on Friday - gotta love it!!!). Everything is covered with icy/slushy mix. Just came back from shopping, opened my trunk from inside - boom, all the ice/slush went right into that groove area between the bottom of the rear window and the trunk opening. Some of the slush went right into the trunk with groceries. The fun part was that I could NOT close my trunk because that groove I mentioned above has to be absolutely clean/empty in order to close the trunk. So, a few of my neighbors with Bimmers were laughing at me scooping that slush out and finally got a chance to get back at me for making RWD jokes at their expense

Anyway, just letting my frustration out
What's snow?
Old 03-17-07, 03:08 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Something tells me Lexus design engineers had exactly the same question in their mind
Old 03-17-07, 03:27 PM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm, my snowbrush is in the trunk ....
Old 03-18-07, 06:05 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

It is a problem. Everything easily gets in there. Eh. Nothing is ever perfect. Personally, I have had the worst string of luck since this month began - it's unreal. I now truly believe in the Ides of March and cannot wait for April 1!
Old 03-18-07, 10:46 AM
flunkie
Rookie

I avoided the trunk avalanche ... Didn't need to go in the trunk for the Snowrake this time. The car had so much wax on it from the dealer that with a couple of swipes of the arm and the snow just slid off the Lexus in chunks !
Old 03-18-07, 04:10 PM
SILVA1
Driver School Candidate

The same thing happened to me on Friday. I ended up scooping out so much snow from the trunk and groves it was ridiculous. I could have made at least ten nice size snow ***** from the ice slush that was in the trunk.
Old 03-18-07, 04:43 PM
gabeLex
Rookie

Same thing happened to me!! i'm like wtf.....ice slid down and right onto my amp and subs. The reason i opened the trunk is to clean the snow...my snowBrush/Scraper's stored there. So i had to disconnect everything and take it out to dry for 24 hours. Grrrllll
Old 03-18-07, 07:07 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flunkie
I avoided the trunk avalanche ... Didn't need to go in the trunk for the Snowrake this time. The car had so much wax on it from the dealer that with a couple of swipes of the arm and the snow just slid off the Lexus in chunks !
"Trunk avalanche"

I try to remember to put the snowbrush and scraper on the floor in the back. Not a good feeling to see snow and ice fall in your trunk.
Old 03-18-07, 08:58 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a fairly big design flaw.

Ice blocks falling in the groove and preventing trunk closure is a
nuisance and has happened to me a couple of times as well.
Old 03-19-07, 09:09 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

I can see consideration for snow by the engineers would be a good thing.

But, cannot see blaming them for ice from your tailgating party, that may be a stretch

Also, not being familiar with snow myself, isn't having snow stacked up on a trunk lid similar to opening the trunk in a pouring rain hitting the trunk lid only it's frozen
Old 03-20-07, 07:33 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

when you either hit the trunk release button inside, or on the remote, it just releases the trunk correct? Not actually opening and lifting the trunk all the way without your assistance correct?
Just want to make sure mine is acting as it should.
Old 03-20-07, 12:51 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

there are MANY thins about the current GS design that signify Lexus' design concept of style over function. the curvature of the roof specifically the back seat headroom and entering the rear seat is evidence of this. the curvature roof here aids in this flaw.
Old 03-20-07, 08:57 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
there are MANY thins about the current GS design that signify Lexus' design concept of style over function. the curvature of the roof specifically the back seat headroom and entering the rear seat is evidence of this. the curvature roof here aids in this flaw.
Very true. I was thinking about this today. There are some comfort/function items that one sacrifices for style. But, I <3 my car.
Old 03-25-07, 08:45 PM
GlockMan9c
Rookie

Originally Posted by marshmallo
This is a fairly big design flaw.

Ice blocks falling in the groove and preventing trunk closure is a
nuisance and has happened to me a couple of times as well.
Not in Orlando. lol.

Quick Reply: Clean off snow/ice before opening the trunk!!!