GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Side Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-07, 02:49 PM
jbbreeden
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Mirrors

On the LS 430, the side mirrors can be folded in or out with the ignition switch. Someone told me that the GS mirrors will fold with a switch, but you have to push the button: They can't be set to fold when the engine is started or stopped.

Eagerly awaiting my GS 350 AWD, I got my VIN number today and downloaded some sections of the Owner's manual on the Lexus web site. I can't find any mention of electrically folding side mirrors although I seem to remember someone on the Club Lexus forum mentioning folding his mirrors as he approached his garage each evening.

So, do the mirrors fold electrically on a GS 350?
Old 03-15-07, 03:15 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbbreeden
So, do the mirrors fold electrically on a GS 350?
No...usless I'm missing something.
Old 03-15-07, 03:18 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

The side mirros DO fold in. You have to flip down that side cluster panel and press the "folding mirrors button". walla.
You do have to do them by pressing the switch, it cannot be done through the remote.
Old 03-15-07, 11:14 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jbbreeden
On the LS 430, the side mirrors can be folded in or out with the ignition switch. Someone told me that the GS mirrors will fold with a switch, but you have to push the button: They can't be set to fold when the engine is started or stopped.
I think he was referring to the mirrors automatically folding/unfolding.
Old 03-16-07, 05:37 AM
jbbreeden
Driver

Actually I was asking if they folded in at all. I see the switch in the side cluster panel, now: It isn't called out in the Owner's Manual box outlining the "mirror controls" as folding the mirrors. And, the on-line search of the manual at the Lexus Owners web page doesn't find any mention of folding.

Thanks Jace7 and INHOCJP.
Old 03-16-07, 09:42 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

I still wish the side mirrors could be programmed to automatically fold/unfold.
Old 03-16-07, 10:44 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sure there's a relatively simple way to get the mirrors to fold automatically. Will someone be willing to figure this one out for the group?
Old 03-16-07, 12:09 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Yes. It can fold in/out. BUT you have to press that out-of-the-way button. I hate that. I wish that after I turn off my car, it would fold automaticly. But it won't.
Old 03-16-07, 12:46 PM
jbbreeden
Driver

Auto-fold would be a nice "hack." The LS 430 has a large on-dash 3-way switch: Folded, Auto, Unfolded. To keep the current pushbutton switch type in the GS, the switch would have to be 2-way: Auto or Unfolded.

Relocating the switch (maybe a three-way toggle on in the "unused" hole in the console for the DABC) or finding a toggle that would fit in the same cutout would seem to be a pretty big deal.
Old 03-16-07, 12:53 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Good idea, there must be a relay operating the "auto" setting on the LS therefre all we need to do is find out where the relay is getting its commands from to fold and unfold and get the same relay or the auto folding assembly, you dont even need a switch, you could bypass the current switch and have the system on auto all the time. I have yet to switch my switch in the LS to anything other than auto.

I'd take up this project if I had my GS but I wont be getting one for a year at least. Someone wanna look into this?
Old 03-16-07, 02:20 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Cut the wire from the "fold" side of the hidden panel switch and jumper it to the parking brake sensor. Everytime you activate the parking brake, the mirrors should fold.
Old 03-16-07, 02:57 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Yeah that would work if ou use your parking brake...but I cant remember the last time I used mine. With an automatic, theres no need to use the parking brake to park unless you're on a hill.
Old 03-16-07, 03:14 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I don't use a parking brake either but then again, I don't NEED my mirrors to fold either. Another option would be to take the wire that triggers the automatic door unlocking/locking feature from the shifter and wire it to the panel. It would fold the mirrors when in park and unfold them when in drive.

Last edited by 2thfixr; 03-16-07 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-16-07, 10:28 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

But then you have to have a relay right? If not, when you switch to drive, it'll be like you have the finger on the button. So it won't shutoff, or if I wanted to manually fold/unfold the mirror, it wouldn't work because it was picking up a signal already?
Old 03-17-07, 01:35 AM
kissbang
Pole Position

Remember to make sure there's enough space for them to fold out. I know I'm being paranoid here, but you don't want to accidentally scrape your mirrors on something that wasn't there before.

Quick Reply: Side Mirrors