GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

LED Trunk Lights Hack

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-07, 02:33 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

jason
because I spliced into the wires that feed the original trunk light, each one maintains independent control. It is just like having that same original light with its switch in a 2nd spot. So, you can turn either off by itself and they stay off. you can turn both on independently, which is what i do and they shut off when trunk closes. I cant take the 2nd housing out because remember i cut into the felt / plastic liner to mount it and i dont think taking it out unless necessary is a good idea since it can warp the plastic, You will see the thin leads to which you need to tap into, get creative, i had slim quick connects that worked good. The wire is any 2 lead wire, i used some 20 gauge multi conductor wire, in fact i ran two single leads, you could easily use 18 speaker wire since this is a very low current system.
Old 02-10-07, 03:37 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much obliged.
I'll work on it as soon as lexus ships me the part. they said I should have it by wednesday.
i'll post a few pics.

contimplating the dvd/nav hack at the moment.
Old 02-12-07, 10:35 AM
PDG810810
Rookie

I finished my trunk LED hack this weekend and it looks/works great
Thanks to all the submissions here for ideas. I used the 31mm festoon bulb & wired in 2 remote ALMx6 at the left & rear of the trunk.
I did get the rocker switch in the main light insert to work with the festoon and it also controls the 2 remotes. The key is to bend the left clip carefully for the extra room, additionally I soldered a small stranded wire to a 3/8 washer and placed it between the festoon and the left clip for my switched B+ feed. The negative wire can be soldered on the top bar or spliced in the the main clip feed. I also put a 1/2" foam strip behind the festoon bulb to keep the LED's from rotating during rocker arm manipulation.
Rock on!
Old 02-12-07, 02:11 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

PDG, let's see some pics. close ups.
I'm wondering if I just need the one extra stock illumination housing or 2.
Old 02-12-07, 04:08 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Last edited by ServerTech; 04-08-07 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-13-07, 06:36 AM
PDG810810
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jace7
PDG, let's see some pics. close ups.
I'm wondering if I just need the one extra stock illumination housing or 2.
Yes I know I should have taken pics while I hade the assembly out. My bad.
There are good pics here with the stock light dissasembled and the Festoon LED in place. The wired washer is the only addition. My remote wires are so short I don't think I can get the light out far enough to take another pic!
Old 02-15-07, 09:20 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
jason
because I spliced into the wires that feed the original trunk light, each one maintains independent control. It is just like having that same original light with its switch in a 2nd spot. So, you can turn either off by itself and they stay off. you can turn both on independently, which is what i do and they shut off when trunk closes. I cant take the 2nd housing out because remember i cut into the felt / plastic liner to mount it and i dont think taking it out unless necessary is a good idea since it can warp the plastic, You will see the thin leads to which you need to tap into, get creative, i had slim quick connects that worked good. The wire is any 2 lead wire, i used some 20 gauge multi conductor wire, in fact i ran two single leads, you could easily use 18 speaker wire since this is a very low current system.
I'm going to start this this week. Do you by chance have a pic of the wires you connected to the additional housing? Also maybe a pic of how you spliced and a pic of that?

If not no problem, I am sure I will figure it out as I go, just like to know exactly what I am getting in to before I proceed.

As oh now I have the wire, the extra housing, and am waiting on 2 9 LED's that I ordered. Anything else I need? washers? anything?
Old 02-15-07, 08:03 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

jason
i used these things to connect 2 wires to the new housing, i insulated these after i crimped them to fit snugly. You can use electric tape or better yet soe shrink tubing, you dont want the 2 to touch the leads. it does not matter which is which. The splice was done simply by "shaving" some of the wire insulation from the original light, i would recommend using those little quick connect things, i did not have any, but 2nd pic shows what i am talking about

Old 02-15-07, 08:41 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

thanks man. you know I appreciate it.
Old 11-08-07, 10:50 PM
quezacotl
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb LOL, great minds think alike

Props to you for the mod! I thought of the dim trunk light as well but I wasn't as brave so my solution was different (perhaps easier for people who aren't as dexterous with their hands lol). I actually spotted @ costco a 3-Pack Wireless LED w/ Metallic Gray Finish (~$13) that has the "auto on" feature (turns on when it detects a little bit of ambient light). They came with velcro stickers to be taped on the back; there are 2 grooves in the top portion of the GS trunk are perfect fit for the 2 "auto-on dome LED lights." Very bright and comes on simultaneously w/ the stock light on the right side of the trunk.

However I could not find a LED festoon bulb that will NOT interfere with the on/off switch to replace the stock bulb, which is about 27mm (I had to return a DE3021 LED bulb because it was 4mm longer, or 31mm and WILL interefere w/ the swtich). Please let me know if anyone can get the 27mm festoon DE3021 LED bulb. Here's a picture of my installed trunk LEDs:
Attached Thumbnails LED Trunk Lights Hack-20071108_1588.jpg  
Old 11-09-07, 12:12 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Tried those, the next time you put something large in the trunk, they will fall off and the batteries will be dead within a month.
Old 11-09-07, 05:48 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Tried those, the next time you put something large in the trunk, they will fall off and the batteries will be dead within a month.
Couldn't sleep last night?
Old 11-09-07, 12:22 PM
quezacotl
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Haha, thanks for the advice. I will be careful not to bump the dome lights when I put in my big piece of luggage next time then man you guys are so dexterous w/ your hands... but weren't the dome LEDs I installed a lot brighter than the regular modded LEDs that kuch123 and you tapped and wired?
Old 11-09-07, 01:29 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

This took me about 10 minutes.

Photo taken during the day:

Photo taken at night:

Old 11-09-07, 03:28 PM
quezacotl
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

This took me about 10 minutes.
Wow the LEDs look so bright The whole install of 4 LEDs took you 10 minutes ONLY!? Also, were you able to find a shorter DE3021 LED festoon bulb (27mm) instead of the normal 31mm bulb? Thank you!

Quick Reply: LED Trunk Lights Hack