GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

LED Trunk Lights Hack

Old 01-12-07, 10:28 AM
yon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tapping in?

Ok, I bought some 1/2" #4 Sheet Metal screws, which are a bit snug but should work.

Second question: how did you tap into the existing light? I found the plastic panel behind the tail light, and can feel behind the trunk light. Did you remove it? If so, how? Where exactly did you tap into the power to the trunk light?

Two approaches I can see are to tap into the light unit itself, or to cut back some of the sheathing on the wire harness and use crimp-on taps there.

Any thoughts appreciated...
Old 01-12-07, 01:19 PM
kuch123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yon
Urk... mine didn't come with screws! Any idea as to the size/type of screws? Maybe I'll head down to Home Depot and see what kind of sheet-metal screws they have that would fit...
Just get the smallest screws you can find that will fit the holes in the LEDs and that are about 1/2in or less..
Old 01-13-07, 08:21 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can we get a picture of the xmas lights on the house? Looks like you spent a little more time on that!
Old 01-15-07, 08:34 AM
yon
Driver

Default Done!

Originally Posted by yon
Two approaches I can see are to tap into the light unit itself, or to cut back some of the sheathing on the wire harness and use crimp-on taps there.
Ok, answered my own question... I finally found a place which had 18-22 AWG tap splices. I had to pull back the plastic conduit to expose enough of the wire to splice, and even then the leads from the LED units just barely make it far enough. They make it, but it's a tight fit to be able to hold everything steady into the tap splice before crimping. Took about ten-fifteen minutes (I was being careful), but works like a charm.

Thanks for posting the hack!
Old 02-04-07, 09:44 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Here is my version

I ordered a second light housing at the dealership, it is identical to the current one in the car. I ran the wire under the trunk roof lining and placed the new light on the left side, up high. I used a blade knife to cut a hole same size as the one on the right side (used masking tape to delineate the perfect cut). The plastic / felt lining is rigid enough that the light fits nicely and wont rattle out. Then I replaced the bulbs with 31mm 9 LED festoon bulbs (white0, EBAY item 200073126196. The 31 mm bulbs dont fit unless you bend the arms a bit using 2 needlenose drivers, but if you do it right it will still turn on and off using the switch. Sorry pics are blurry, they are w/o flash except last one.

Last edited by EyeKutr; 02-04-07 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-04-07, 09:53 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Sweet job.

What were the total costs and time spent doing this job?

I've got the stock light replaced with LED bulb. I might consider this project.
Old 02-05-07, 08:46 AM
EyeKutr

New light housing $48
2 31mm Festoon LED bulbs $13
1 hour install time - name your price

Maintaining stock look ...PRICELESS
Old 02-05-07, 08:54 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

very nice professional job. very nice.
Old 02-05-07, 09:01 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

wow, nice idea.
Just by looking at the pic, you should send it to Apple or any notebook company...
On yours, the setup seems created any spotlighted area but letf the rest of the area in dark.
I am sure it will be useful for peeps who usually do "transactions" in trunk, but I hardly open it.

Good moding spirit!

Last edited by josephdoc; 02-05-07 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-06-07, 11:28 AM
EyeKutr

Thanks guys, a buddy of mine saw it and was impressed with how bright it was, pictures dont do it justice
Old 02-07-07, 06:02 PM
kissbang
Pole Position

48 bucks. What a rip. Looks very clean though.

Ah well, I'll probably be doing this... sometime.
Old 02-07-07, 06:21 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

EyeKutr- do you have the part # for Lexus light you used? I like the hack and will probably do the same in my wife's new GS (once it gets back above 0 here!!!)

Also, did you solder the second light's lead one onto the OEM one so they both work off one switch, or did you just tap into the line?

Great mod and thanks in advance!
Old 02-07-07, 09:33 PM
EyeKutr

I dont have the part number at hand, i thought the housing was a bit expensive but what do you do? Just have them order you the "trunk illumination light housing" Here is the catch, that part obviously DOES not include the plug that brings the power in, so that i had to get some slip on connectors . Also see how much bigger the 31mm LED is....

The wire I ran to the left side of the trunk was spliced in, that means each switch is independent and functional. To sum it up
1) pop off light housing - easy to do with standard screwdriver inserted right by the switch.....
2) get new housing & 2 31mm LEDs
3) rig up the mechanism to accept longer bulb - see pic
4) run a wire from right side to left
5) cut a hole for new housing
6) install quick connects onto the tips of the wire so it can slip on securely
7) splice in at the right side and youre done

Old 02-08-07, 05:16 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks again - looks awesome! Hopefully the snow (and thus salt / cinder crap) will stop soon here. Picked up our new GS350 last friday w/ 5 mi. Brought it home and it hasn't moved since - we're up to all of 16mi!!!!! Maybe this weekend, maybe this weekend......
Old 02-10-07, 10:45 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Thanks guys, a buddy of mine saw it and was impressed with how bright it was, pictures dont do it justice
The way you wired it, do both lights turn on when you open the trunk.... as well as turn off when you close...? if you have it set to the auto on...

or you can turn them both off and they won't come on when you open?

mind taking a pic of the quick connects attached? What wire did you buy to attach the left light to the right? about how long was it?

just asking, b/c I ordered 2 exact bulbs today, and placed order for light housing from lexus yesterday.... too bad the allumination light housing was 49.50 from my lexus dealership. bah. oh well, they are shipping directly to my house....

I want this install to be just an extra light, that will work as the original standard light. Meaning they "both" go on and off as did the one that came with the car, when I open and close the trunk...

thanks.

Jason

Last edited by Jace7; 02-10-07 at 11:03 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Trunk Lights Hack