GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What is the pricing for GS430 and how to haggle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-06, 11:27 PM
XxYyZz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the pricing for GS430 and how to haggle?

Can anyone tell me the exact ways you guys haggle to get the lowest possible for your new GS?

I am interested in purchasing a new 06/07 GS430 and I just finish building it from Lexus.com with the following:

Base MSRP* $52,375.00
• Standard Features

Available Packages $5,162.00
• Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Audio System Package with Additional Options
- Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Audio System Package
- Intuitive Parking Assist
- Rain-sensing variable intermittent windshield wipers with mist control and headlamp washers
- Power rear-window sunshade
- Rear spoiler
- Ventilated front seats
- Preferred Accessory Package (includes Cargo net, Trunk mat and Wheel locks)

Accessory Options $0.00
• Intuitive Parking Assist Included
• Rain-sensing variable intermittent windshield wipers with mist control and headlamp washers Included
• Power rear-window sunshade Included
• Rear spoiler Included
• Ventilated front seats Included
• Preferred Accessory Package (includes Cargo net, Trunk mat and Wheel locks) Included

Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee† $715.00

Total MSRP** $58,252.00

I am willing to pay in cash and I currently have a 2000 LX470 in a position to be traded or sell seperately.
Old 12-16-06, 11:28 PM
XxYyZz
Driver School Candidate

now. with that msrp, I would like to know how low am I able to get and what is the invoice for this model.

any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-06, 11:29 PM
XxYyZz
Driver School Candidate

I have done searches on the archieves but, I only found GS350 not GS430. So I am really confused now, why no one wants to buy 430.
Old 12-17-06, 04:54 AM
Balnk
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone here is going to tell you that the GS450h is
a much better car. In regards to cost and performance.

Also everyone is going to tell you that the GS430 is
a dead platform. Being replaced in 6 (or so) months
by the GS460.

I purchased a used GS430 with nav/ML, with 12k miles
on it from Carmax for $46,700.

Hope all this helps. I will consider a trade in when the
GS460 comes out.
Old 12-17-06, 07:37 AM
jzjaa
Driver School Candidate

Lexus may have slightly adjusted there prices 2007. For the 2006 GS 430, I optioned it to $58,629 MSRP. The Edmunds.com True Market Value (TMV) for a new 2006 GS 430 is $54,450 and the invoice is $50,692 (using 90210 zip code). I have provided the link so that you can build it to your desired specifications (and with the correct zip code):

http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/new/lexus/index.html

Unless you MUST buy new, I would strongly advise you to buy a used 2006GS 430 because you can easily find one in the mid $40s (or even less with slightly higher miles).
Old 12-17-06, 04:20 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

how to haggle? it's the art of persuasion. Just go to the top. don't deal with the salespeople, who in the end have to goto the manager to get an approval. Ask for the manager, become friends, then just say "hey look" just lay it out. See what he can do for you and explain that by you buying a car from his dealsership it means.........for the dealership.
It comes with time/age to learn how to feel comfortable. I do it daily with work, so he was just somone else in my mind...
now every time I see this guy he's more of a friend, than just some idiot that sold me the car.
Old 12-18-06, 05:20 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

How to Haggle? - Do what I did. If you are not in an area where you cannot get a good price. Start buying over the phone. I ordered a GS350 from Mpls dealership and the best they would do is $3678 over invoice. Nothing worked.

I simply called an east coast dealership, and they quoted me a price $300 over invoice. I am going to fly out and pick up car in two weeks. Negotiating skills will get you nowhere at the dealerships in Minneapolis. I cancelled my order via e-mail here in Mpls and never got a response at all. Just a $500 credit on my credit card.

So if your lucky enough to be in an area where there is Lexus Competetion, you can pat yourself on the back for your great negotiating skills. If not, be willing to fly to that state, and you can have great negotiating skills too!
Old 12-19-06, 09:32 AM
bunkiwi
Driver School Candidate

I agree with Cut-Throat. I live in a huge state with only one BMW dealer and one Lexus dealer, and they both like it that way. So, I went to Texas to buy my BMW (new, inv+$500), and to Florida to buy my GS-430 (used, 13k miles, like new, $43k).
Old 01-01-07, 04:33 AM
T3000
Driver School Candidate

Generally, the dealer invoice is around 13% below MSRP depending on model. For a 2007 GS 350 with MSRP $49,000 the dealer invoice is $43,000. I know this because I work for Toyota and get the employee pricing. Anything close to that will be a good deal.
Old 01-01-07, 01:37 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XxYyZz
I have done searches on the archieves but, I only found GS350 not GS430. So I am really confused now, why no one wants to buy 430.
Not sure if you are aware but they replaced the 2006 GS300 with the GS350 in 2007. It has the SAME performance as the GS430 but it has more hp/less torque and it's $6k cheaper and gets better gas mileage. As a result, the GS430 is special order only for MY2007. Rather than ask why no one wants to buy the 430, you should be asking yourself, why do you want to buy a 430?

Since you live in CA, negotiating has nothing to do with regional differences as mentioned. There are tons of dealerships out here and you should be able to get a smoking deal. The things I might suggest are;

1. Do some internet shopping and shop by phone/email. That's a good place to start.

2. Don't use MSRP as a starting point, use invoice pricing instead. Instead of saying I want $5k off MSRP, ask for $250 over invoice.

3. Play the dealerships off each other and you will get a better price.

4. Deal with fleet managers or internet salespeople rather than people off the salesfloor.

5. If you have to deal with someone off the salesfloor, let them know you are internet shopping and you already have some agressive pricing in hand. During negotiations, their starting price will be lower this way.

6. Check the big boys first. In S. CA, I would check, Longo, Jim Falk, and Tustin Lexus. All three of those dealerships quoted me $500/1000 above invoice to start and I ended up paying $200 over @ Tustin Lexus. If you want a great guy to deal with there, see Ray Khan and his team leader Whitey. They took good care of me and I would imagine if you mention my deal, they will know what you are looking for in a deal.

7. Negotiate your deal at the end of the month and better yet, at the end of the quarter. Dealers are especially motivated during that time because they not only pump up their sales numbers, they may get additional vehicle allocations or financial incentives from Lexus.

8. Paying cash may not be an incentive to give you a good deal. Dealerships have additional opportunities to make money when you finance. Whether you pay cash or the bank issues them a check after your financing is completed, makes no difference to them. If you are thinking about paying actual "cash", they often prefer that you don't. My brother purchased a C55 from the House of Imports 2 months ago and they said that they preferred a check vs $30k cash.

That said, it's very possible that a special order car may not be worth the effort for them @ $200 over. Also, there appears to be a shortage of GSs out there so supply/demand will play a huge factor in your final price.
Old 01-01-07, 01:45 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

My brother purchased a C55 from the House of Imports 2 months ago and they said that they preferred a check vs $30k cash.
I am picking up my car from Ray Catena Lexus in N.J. tomorrow. They insisted on a certified check. Of course they did this at the last minute and it cost me another $22 for a wire transfer. I kept telling my salesman that I would write a check for the last month. If they would have told me a month ago, I could have used a regular bank transfer for no charge.

I have bought 2 Lexus' previously and used personal checks both times
Old 01-01-07, 02:34 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

If you are set on the gs430 for sure, get a used one, I saw one at ontario, CA car max, 5k miles, chrome stock 18s, NAV, $45 K looked perfect
Old 01-01-07, 03:51 PM
HotShotEng
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Think Dealer's Cost NOT Invoice

This is how I purchased my GS430, I went through the internet asking for quotes and then e-mailed the lowest quoting dealer to refine and clarify options, etc. I then ran my own calculations using a spreadsheet program I got on carbuyingtips.com which you can download for free (Click on or copy the following then paste): http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car4.htm?x=0kqe_q_ufonxw1&y=Wed%252525252525252520Apr%2525252- 5252525252027%25252525252525252021%25252525252525253A41%25252525252525253A21%2525252525252- 525202005

You can see why!!! Then I contacted the dealer and re negotiated for a better deal over the phone. Where you buy a car is not as important as how you buy a car. Do your homework, know their lingo, talk with authority, and don't let them try and snow you with fuzzy math, have a target price in mind (determined from the spreadsheet), and be firm on price and flexible on options. Don't think invoice, think dealers cost!!!!
There is a big difference!!! dealers cost = INVOICE minus the following [ 0.02 (MSRP) + (FACTORY INCENTIVES) + (FLOOR PLAN FEES)] . All dealerships can make a profit on as little as 3% above their dealer cost. Use Kelly Blue Book to establish invoice and MSRP values. The free spreadsheet I talked about will do all the calculations for you. My final price was $5000+ dollars under MSRP (fully loaded)!!!!!! I bought my car May 31, 2005 when most people were happy to get $1000 off of MSRP. I have always used dealer cost as my base when buying new cars, but until this car I had to do the calculations by hand (no free spreadsheet). The dealers don't want you to know this little secret.
DON'T' ASK ME TO TELL YOU WHO I CONTACTED. Just read what's on the internet page I gave you and GOOD LUCK.
Old 01-01-07, 04:17 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HotShotEng
Where you buy a car is not as important as how you buy a car. Do your homework, know their lingo, talk with authority, and don't let them try and snow you with fuzzy math, have a target price in mind (determined from the spreadsheet), and be firm on price and flexible on options. Don't think invoice, think dealers cost!!!!
Totally untrue dude! - You are from Ca, where there is a lot of Competition. I ordered a car here in MPLS at $3678 over Invoice. Best deal I could get. I told them I would go to the East Coast or West Coast if I had to. - That is talking with authority! Ended up getting a quote on the east coast for $300 over invoice. Cancelled the order on the one in MPLS with an e-mail. Never got a call back, just a credit on my credit card.

You can talk all your lingo you want here in MPLS, but it won't do you any good! I am flying to N.J. tomorrow to pick up my car.
Old 01-03-07, 08:10 PM
HotShotEng
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Totally untrue dude! - You are from Ca, where there is a lot of Competition. I ordered a car here in MPLS at $3678 over Invoice. Best deal I could get. I told them I would go to the East Coast or West Coast if I had to. - That is talking with authority! Ended up getting a quote on the east coast for $300 over invoice. Cancelled the order on the one in MPLS with an e-mail. Never got a call back, just a credit on my credit card.

You can talk all your lingo you want here in MPLS, but it won't do you any good! I am flying to N.J. tomorrow to pick up my car.
Congratulations cut-throat! I think you misinterpreded my statement though. I didn't say were you buy your car is not important what I said is were you buy your car is not as important as how you buy it. Your method of going nation-wide is a good example of how vs. were. I was merely trying to show how to buy a car once you determined were to buy. Happy driving.

Quick Reply: What is the pricing for GS430 and how to haggle?