GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Help a newbie - DROPPING THE RIDE - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 09:11 PM
IStoGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a newbie - DROPPING THE RIDE - suggestions?

Okay - I just bought a 2007 AWD GS350.

LOVE IT. Except, it needs to be lowered in my opinion.

I went out and bought 19" MRR wheels and am satisfied with the wheels, but the wheel gap is killing me.

Couple questions:
1. Why is the wheel gap on some of these cars greater in the front than the back? I've heard that it was cut higher at factory, but I've seen some stock 2006 GS300 and GS430's that have the same gap distance in front and back. But ALL the 350's I've seen seem to have a disproportionate gap difference - anyone know if this has to do with the AWD component?

2. What suggestions does everyone have about lowering an AWD car. I've heard everything from "don't do it" (coming from the dealer) to "go for it" (friends). I assume I'll have to lower it more in the front than the back?

3. What springs/coils/ etc? I know NOTHING ABOUT THIS.

4. What are the pro's and con's of lowering a car.

I know there are a ton of questions, here, but I really do love this car but I need to tweak it and I'm just not sure how. HELP!

I don't know who to believe, so I turn to my new friends here at ClubLexus.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 10-18-06, 01:11 AM
kuch123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering he same thing but i'd love to see some photos of your car with the 19s on it BEFORE its dropped.. Been looking at MRRs myself. Did you get the 5-spoke version?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-06, 12:55 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sgt!! Where Are You!!!
Old 10-19-06, 01:18 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IStoGS350
Okay - I just bought a 2007 AWD GS350.

LOVE IT. Except, it needs to be lowered in my opinion.

I went out and bought 19" MRR wheels and am satisfied with the wheels, but the wheel gap is killing me.

Couple questions:
1. Why is the wheel gap on some of these cars greater in the front than the back? I've heard that it was cut higher at factory, but I've seen some stock 2006 GS300 and GS430's that have the same gap distance in front and back. But ALL the 350's I've seen seem to have a disproportionate gap difference - anyone know if this has to do with the AWD component?

2. What suggestions does everyone have about lowering an AWD car. I've heard everything from "don't do it" (coming from the dealer) to "go for it" (friends). I assume I'll have to lower it more in the front than the back?

3. What springs/coils/ etc? I know NOTHING ABOUT THIS.

4. What are the pro's and con's of lowering a car.

I know there are a ton of questions, here, but I really do love this car but I need to tweak it and I'm just not sure how. HELP!

I don't know who to believe, so I turn to my new friends here at ClubLexus.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Congrats on the new ride! Let's see some pics.

1. Don't know as I haven't seen a GS350 AWD up close yet.

2. I lowered my GS300 AWD and I love how it looks and performs. I got the Tanabe NF210 springs which lowers the front more than the back, which gives it an equal, all-around drop.

3. There are no coilovers for the AWD as far as I know. As for springs, you can go with Tein or Tanabe (or perhaps others that I'm not aware of).

4. In short, pros are appearance and better handling while cons are rubbing of fenders on tires (if wheel offset is incorrect or dropped too low), scraping of front bumper/lip on ground (if too low), reduced shock life (if you lowered on stock shocks with springs, but doesn't apply to coilovers).
Old 10-19-06, 01:52 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

which mrr's did you choose?!
Old 10-19-06, 01:55 PM
LexFather

I suggest search we have discussed lowering many times before. GOod luck
Old 10-19-06, 03:05 PM
jjpxlala
Rookie

I got Gs350 awd and I dropped it with nf210 with no problem.
Old 10-19-06, 08:31 PM
slimj 281
Driver

i got some nf210s for sale if u need them. 200 shipped
Old 10-20-06, 03:41 PM
IStoGS350
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses so far. In response to some of the questions I received about the rims - I got the MRR HR2's and will take some pics and post them soon. I'm out of town for the next 4-5 days but will post upon my return if I don't get to it tonight.

For a recap, here's what I've derived:
1. On this forum, we've got both a AWD300 (SGT) and an AWD350 dropped (jjpxlala).
2. No coilovers for the AWD yet, but there are springs - Tanabe or Tein.

Has anyone tried the Eibach springs on an AWD?
Old 11-04-06, 12:50 PM
IStoGS350
Driver School Candidate

Alright, just posted these in someone else's thread, but thought I would drop them in mine as well - you guys will probably agree it needs to be dropped:

and close-ups:

Old 11-04-06, 01:22 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Nice, when you getting springs?
Old 11-04-06, 01:38 PM
IStoGS350
Driver School Candidate

Not even sure where to start. Probably need to order and then take them over to the local Lexus dealer? There are no decent aftermarket shops that I know of here in Indianapolis.

Any recommendations on where to buy the Tanabe NF210 (that's what you're recommending, right?)
Old 11-04-06, 02:25 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Rims look great, especially at 19's. What did they cost? The ride height looks about exactly the same as mine with 18's. My preference would be to lower the ride. There's several places online (including this one) to purchase the Tanabe NF210's, as well as dealers in CA that are happy to ship them.

http://www.hopupracing.com/index.html

However, I suggest you check with your dealer first before purchasing. The dealer here in KC won't touch aftermarket stuff. Funny because there are dealers in CA that do it , no big deal. I called around to other dealerships (Lexus wouldn't recommend anybody, so I called BMW, Jaguar) service departments until I had a recommendation that more than one shop agreed with was quality. Found a guy who owns his own shop and deals exclusively in modifying suspensions, exhausts, etc., on high end cars.

But I didn't order the Tanabe's till I had someone I trusted could install them right. Perhaps we should start a thread just for GS300 & GS350 AWD owners who are lowering their ride. So we can keep track of each others experiences from swap out (tires/rims), to installation, to what brand coil/spring people are using, and to track the longevity of the equipment and quality of the ride. What do you think?
Old 11-04-06, 02:57 PM
HemantS
Driver

Front gap is often larger in order to facilitate the turning of the wheels.

While we're at it, does anyone know if GS430 rear sway bar can be fitted to a GS350 AWD? Is it thicker?
Old 11-04-06, 04:53 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sbrown02
Perhaps we should start a thread just for GS300 & GS350 AWD owners who are lowering their ride. So we can keep track of each others experiences from swap out (tires/rims), to installation, to what brand coil/spring people are using, and to track the longevity of the equipment and quality of the ride. What do you think?
Sounds like a plan. Go ahead and start it up.

Quick Reply: Help a newbie - DROPPING THE RIDE - suggestions?