GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Your take on the GS300 vs IS350??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-06, 10:17 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Your take on the GS300 vs IS350??

Ok... outside of the obvious difference being performance / size.

How do you feel about the two models, in regards to build quality, amenities, etc. The two almost look identical, save physical dimenensions. How different is the interior??? Is the GS truly more luxurious???
Old 10-16-06, 04:47 AM
HemantS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS350 - faster, better handling, better fuel economy, sportier

GS300 - slower, more luxurious, "highway cruiser", better interior, larger
Old 10-16-06, 08:24 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NAZTY97

How do you feel about the two models, in regards to build quality, amenities, etc. The two almost look identical, save physical dimenensions. How different is the interior??? Is the GS truly more luxurious???
the 2 look almost identical What do you think about the difference in a fully loaded corolla and a camry...?? I dont mean to hassle you, but they look very different to me

Last edited by EyeKutr; 10-16-06 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-16-06, 09:10 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

I was referring to the interior via webshots... i have not been in an IS350 in person....

and the two have very similar lines,... similar,..not exact.
Old 10-16-06, 09:15 AM
lexlovgs
Driver School Candidate

r u kidding? look almost identical?

IS - Smaller, no back seat, not graceful, compact, sharper edges...
GS - Bigger, luxurious, graceful yet sporty, Slower but carries its status, cruiser but responsive when pushed, so many auto features and amenties..

r u kidding? I rather drive GS than IS given a choice. IS is a great car too!
Old 10-16-06, 11:53 AM
silvercvic
Driver School Candidate

Now similar question:

GS 350 vs IS 350

don't mean to hijack this thread!
Old 10-16-06, 12:08 PM
conclevage
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NAZTY97

Depends on your taste...

Buy the IS350 if you want to drive first and enjoy that "sporty feel"

Buy the GS300 if you want to cruise in luxury/style.

I think the GS300 looks more pimp and since I'm not a speed demon, I feel like a big tymer when I'm cruisin in the lex.
Old 10-16-06, 12:24 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by silvercvic
Now similar question:

GS 350 vs IS 350

don't mean to hijack this thread!
Well, that's a better question. I'm presuming the original poster used the GS300 for the comparison because the prices are rapidly becoming similar. IMHO, with the Gen5 Nav, the GS350 is a more "Lexus-like" car than the IS350 in every respect (except for the AUX input - big deal!) If you really want the "driving experience", you're going to be buying a BMW 335i over an IS350, anyway.
Old 10-16-06, 12:47 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

The GS is more luxury with more detail than the IS
Old 10-16-06, 01:19 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Hmm... if you can't find difference between two Lexus model.... How about this?
Would you like BMW 3-series or 5-series??
Old 10-17-06, 05:55 PM
crowe85
Driver School Candidate

I struggled with this dilemma for a year until I ended up buying a GS350 over an IS350. In terms of exterior design, the IS is a mini-GS, both look awesome, and differences in straight-line speed, and least to me, are negligible (with an obvious slight edge to the IS). Here's why I chose the GS:

1) Cupholders: Sit in an IS and you will see what I mean. One cupholder (small) and one larger one inside the glove box, which risks condensation getting on whatever you have in there, likely an iPod since that's where the AUX input is.

2) Backseat: I very rarely drive with other people in my car, but nice to have a livable backseat when you need it.

3) Resale: Obviously a partial function of a higher sticker, but GS will retain its value better.

4) Exclusivity: In Los Angeles, the IS is quickly becoming as plentiful as the 3-series, and I didn't buy a Lexus to blend in.

The AUX input was the main reason I hesitated on the GS, but I came up with a factory-look solution that I've referenced in other posts and will post pictures as soon as I replace my digicam. Price was not a factor in my decision, but I don't feel I could have gone wrong with either car.
Old 10-17-06, 06:08 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

I think my slight hesitation was the fact of coming from an SC400 ( V8 ) to the lower hp engine, and bigger car, to which I saw an IS350 for the same price... I got to wondering... are these cars really that similar for their price to overlap??

I haven't grasped the whole level of differnce in luxury factor...as I have not sat in an IS350 yet. I just looked at the pics online,...and it didn't appear to be a far shot from the GS's interior...save placement and maybe aesthetic layout. That 306hp was calling my name for a second.... but again.... IS doesn't seem to "big boy" to me.

The GS looks more pimp to me, because it is bigger and I did like the amenities it had.

Now here's a flip,... how much lesser is it in detail / luxury than the LS series???

I already know the obvious of the engines....but arent they similar in some ways?
Old 10-18-06, 12:46 AM
bcz i can
Driver School Candidate

I have a GS and my girlfriend has the IS. The GS is complete comfort and luxury which is more my style. The IS is fun, good handling and paddle shifters, but unless you intend to take corners and use the paddle shifters often I would go for the GS
Old 10-18-06, 11:03 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crowe85
4) Exclusivity: In Los Angeles, the IS is quickly becoming as plentiful as the 3-series, and I didn't buy a Lexus to blend in.
Unfortunately in So. Cal., it's hard to stand out driving almost any luxury model. Heck, I see numerous AMGs on my daily commute. And last weekend while at the Grove, I parked next to two Bentley Continental GTs.
Old 10-18-06, 11:07 AM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Unfortunately in So. Cal., it's hard to stand out driving almost any luxury model. Heck, I see numerous AMGs on my daily commute. And last weekend while at the Grove, I parked next to two Bentley Continental GTs.
LOL! That's the truth - here in NoCal, too. Lexus is a working-class brand around here...and only illegal aliens drive American cars.

Quick Reply: Your take on the GS300 vs IS350??