GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: What is your take on the 3rd Gen Daytime Running Lights?
Too yellow, I want it whiter to match the HIDs
81.75%
Just right, I plan to keep it the stock halogen color
15.33%
Too white, I want it yellower like the 2nd Gen'ers
2.92%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Do you like the color of the GS Daytime Running Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-06, 04:15 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Do you like the color of the GS Daytime Running Lights?

Poll time! I was wondering how people felt about the GS daytime runners. This is one mod I plan to immediately implement whan I get my 350 sometime in the future.
Old 10-13-06, 05:25 PM
lossimo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check this thread to see what the differences are in action!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=238021
Old 10-14-06, 06:47 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Poll time! I was wondering how people felt about the GS daytime runners. This is one mod I plan to immediately implement whan I get my 350 sometime in the future.
How do you plan on changing the color of the DRL's? They're always going to be running at half wattage so they'll still be yellowish.
Old 10-15-06, 05:58 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Didn't look into exactly how to do this this early since I don't have the car yet- but I was under the impression it may be as simple as replacing them with Sylvania Silverstars or a similar "white halogen" aftermarket bulb. If there's a problem with the wattage being lower then I guess it gets more in depth and we'll have to figure out a way to directly wire the wattage the Silverstar's need to them. I don't imagine it would be too difficult. I will be looking into it in more detail now and post my findings and hope that others will do the same.
Old 10-15-06, 06:32 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Didn't look into exactly how to do this this early since I don't have the car yet- but I was under the impression it may be as simple as replacing them with Sylvania Silverstars or a similar "white halogen" aftermarket bulb. If there's a problem with the wattage being lower then I guess it gets more in depth and we'll have to figure out a way to directly wire the wattage the Silverstar's need to them. I don't imagine it would be too difficult. I will be looking into it in more detail now and post my findings and hope that others will do the same.
Unfortunately, people have already tried using Sylvania Silverstars but they still look yellow.
Old 10-15-06, 07:20 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Did they run the silverstars on the half wattage you mentioned or did htye correct for full output? I imagine they would be much better (whiter) than normal halogens but still not as white as the HIDs.
Old 10-15-06, 07:25 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

They default to half wattage but I don't think they made any modifications to have them run at full wattage.
Old 10-15-06, 07:36 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

I wonder if the PIAAs would be any better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to get an exact match from Halogens. The only way to do that, it seems, is to do what you did and to convert the DRLs to HIDS themselves. But a pretty costly proposition in itself. If its close, by that I mean much whiter than the yellowish stock DRLs, its worth it, expecially since you're talking about a pretty inexpensive bulb purchase and possibly a 5 minute swap job. But to raide the power to full wattage would take a little more elbow grease.
Old 10-16-06, 09:01 AM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People having been trying to change the color of the DRLs since the 2GS and to my knowledge, no one has been successful. PIAAs and just about every other halogen bulb out there has been tried with no success. The only way you will be able to do this is to custom wire a complete replacement for the light. There is a whole forum dedicated to lighting here on CL and if you browse through some of the old threads, you will find out what has been tried before.

Good luck on your efforts though and if you figure out a solution, please let everyone know because there are many here that would love to change the color of the DRLs.
Old 10-16-06, 03:17 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Haha, lets keep this thread up top and hopefully the Lexus executives and techs who come on this site will develop a solution for next yrs GS. Something the older models could be fitted to.
Old 10-16-06, 03:44 PM
HKN
Lead Lap

I Wanted Hid For Drl In The High Beam...got Some Resistance Fro Mthe Gang Here In Cl And One Was My Friend, Hahahaha, Not Like I Have Alot Of Cash To Burn But Hid Drl Would Be Nice Even If They Last Half As Long As A "properly" Used Set Of Hids. Plus Hids Are Atleast Twice As Long In Longivity As Halogens So Consider The Hid Drl As An Expensive Pair Of Halogens.

Piaa Is Around What...70-90 Per Set Of 9005 Yellows Or Various Other Colors. I Set Of Hid...at The Price I've Been Getting Them For The Past Few Yrs....is Double That....so Again...what Is The Big Deal?

The Only Problem Is Will The Hid Fire At The Lower Drl Power Of The High Beams.....
Old 10-17-06, 06:26 PM
wassabie
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried the PIAA Tera LED 9006 bulbs? I was wondering if they would work for the DRLs....

http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-TERA-8000.../dp/B000GOH91S
Old 10-17-06, 06:28 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wassabie
Has anyone tried the PIAA Tera LED 9006 bulbs? I was wondering if they would work for the DRLs....

http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-TERA-8000.../dp/B000GOH91S
I dont have the PIAA but I did get the sylvanias and will be putting them in the DRL and Fogs for a cleaner look.
Old 10-17-06, 07:14 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

I don't even see these 8000K bulbs on their PIAA JP website... must be really new or I am not looking in the right place... I am intrigued to try them though...
Old 11-19-06, 09:45 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry about the dumb quesion but are there actually 2 lights in there? One DRL operating at low wattage and an additional highbeam bulb? I always thought it was the high beam bulb itself operating at low wattage as a DRL.

What are the light #s? 9005 for the high beams?

Quick Reply: Do you like the color of the GS Daytime Running Lights?