GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Recommended dealer in San Diego to adjust headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 05:10 PM
fuzzy8ball
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended dealer in San Diego to adjust headlights

Hi Everyone,

I got my 2006 GS 300 at Kearny Mesa Lexus (San Diego) but when I went in for my first service and told them to adjust my headlight aim up, they wouldn't do it. They said that it's already at the standard level.

Does anyone know of a dealer (or person) in the San Diego area that's willing to do this? It's especially dangerous driving downhill and you can't see that far. I tried for 3 hours last night trying to get to that gear on the side of the headlight to adjust the vertical level but I couldn't do it.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-06, 05:23 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

doesnt the GS come with auto-level?
Old 09-18-06, 08:17 PM
fuzzy8ball
Driver School Candidate

auto level? there's a buncha threads about the low beam HIDs being aimed too low... just wondering if anyone can do it or can recommend a dealer that does
Old 09-18-06, 08:24 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fuzzy, you need a long screwdriver (about 8") to reach the adjustment screw on the side of the headlight.
Old 09-18-06, 10:55 PM
fuzzy8ball
Driver School Candidate

Hey SGT, I looked in there and it seems almost impossible for me to know if I stick the screw driver in there would it actually turn the little gear responsible for the vertical alignment of the headlights.

I'm kinda clueless when it comes to cars =(. I just like to drive em =)
Old 09-19-06, 05:42 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Do you actually see the adjustment screw? Once you spot it, you'll notice that there's a little "tunnel" that guides your screwdriver. I recommend you park you car a few feet in front of a wall with the headlights on so you can see the adjustments you're making. It took me two nights to finetune get them where I wanted them to be because after I made small adjustments, I would drive around and see how they looked, but the end result is well worth it.
Old 09-19-06, 10:02 AM
hendjaz
Pole Position

I'm having the same problem as Fuzzy finding the adjustment screw that is apparently behind the light and hard to reach under the fender somewhere. The one screw is easy to find and turn but the other was no where to be found to my eyes. I looked at the pictures and descriptions in the thread here about the GS 300 I believe and also the owner's manual so I'm pretty sure I was looking in the correct general area. I have a 450h and not sure if there is any additional shrouding in the engine compartment that might be hiding the screw from vision. I did take off all the removal engine covers to open it up as much as possible. The other thread indicated a 10'' screwdriver was needed but sounds like 8" will also do it. First I need to locate the screw though.

I'm surprised Lexus doesn't address this so that the low beam will be high enough to do its job without blinding other drivers. The dealer just shrugs and says its per standards. They shouldn't leave it up to guys like me and a screwdriver. The low beam is unacceptably low, particularly going down hill and then around a corner so I'll keep looking for that hard to find screw. When found, does anyone recall about how many turns they took to get it right?
Old 09-19-06, 02:34 PM
fuzzy8ball
Driver School Candidate

Thanks SGT, I'll have to stop by Home Depot and pick up a 8" screw driver. My big concern is that when I stick the screwdriver in the little tunnel, will I actually be turning it because I won't be able to see the wheel turn. But I guess that's why I'll leave the lights on so I can see them move when I turn the **** on the screwdriver.

hendjaz, the screw took me about an hour to find. You have to look down a small hole and you'll see 1 spoke of it -- you won't be able to see the entire wheel -- and you have to get it at just the right angle with enough light as well or else you won't be able to see it.
Old 09-19-06, 02:38 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Finding those adjustment screws took me extremely long to find as well. The manual doesn't do a good job pinpointing their locations. Don't forget, you have make adjustments to both headlights, as each one has their own set of screws. Also, be sure to look at the bubble gauges while you're making adjustments to keep track of how far you're going.
Old 09-20-06, 09:36 AM
CrazyTrain
Pole Position

You can always try Carlsbad or Escondido.
Old 04-23-13, 01:53 PM
Whitena
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://s24.photobucket.com/user/tune..._6112.mp4.html
Old 04-25-13, 12:13 AM
ashley1977
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fuzzy8ball
Hi Everyone,

I got my 2006 GS 300 at Kearny Mesa Lexus (San Diego) but when I went in for my first service and told them to adjust my headlight aim up, they wouldn't do it. They said that it's already at the standard level.

Does anyone know of a dealer (or person) in the San Diego area that's willing to do this? It's especially dangerous driving downhill and you can't see that far. I tried for 3 hours last night trying to get to that gear on the side of the headlight to adjust the vertical level but I couldn't do it.

Thanks!
If you come to Orange County (Irvine),
I can do it for you,
very easy take me less than 5 mins to do both,
and you can see the improvement right away.....
Old 04-25-13, 03:52 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sawnzo1212
San Diego=Kearny mesa Lexus SUCKS!!! They are so hard to deal with bro...
seriously? you bumped a 7yr old thread because your not getting your way?