GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

any chance dash rattle will disappear on its own?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 10:42 PM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the infamous dash rattle (more like a creaking sound) from the first month I purchased the car. I would get worse when it was cold out. The dealer tried to fix it on four separate times doing everything from replacing the windshield to stuffing more foam in the dashboard than in a teddy bear. After having the car for collectively over 5 weeks I finally got fed up and called corporate. They sent a "lead tech" to figure out the problem.

The guy isolated the problem to the plastic cowling on the outside of the windshield (the plastic that sits under the wipers). They ordered a new one and the creaking is now gone. I didn't think it would fix the problem because the noise sounded like it was coming from inside the car, but they swore that would fix it... and it did.

So if your dealer keeps taking apart the dashboard and stuffing it with foam, make them order a new cowling piece and watch the problem go away.
Old 08-04-06, 11:15 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DrComputer
I had the infamous dash rattle (more like a creaking sound) from the first month I purchased the car. I would get worse when it was cold out. The dealer tried to fix it on four separate times doing everything from replacing the windshield to stuffing more foam in the dashboard than in a teddy bear. After having the car for collectively over 5 weeks I finally got fed up and called corporate. They sent a "lead tech" to figure out the problem.

The guy isolated the problem to the plastic cowling on the outside of the windshield (the plastic that sits under the wipers). They ordered a new one and the creaking is now gone. I didn't think it would fix the problem because the noise sounded like it was coming from inside the car, but they swore that would fix it... and it did.

So if your dealer keeps taking apart the dashboard and stuffing it with foam, make them order a new cowling piece and watch the problem go away.

Do you know why they had to replace it? Was it just rubbing or was it defective? The last time I talked to them, they said it was a common problem and most likely it was some clips they use to set the windshield. Do you any picture of this cowling? Was your noise coming from the passenger side corner were the windshield and dash meets?
Thanks
Old 08-06-06, 12:45 AM
DrComputer
Pole Position

When the noise first started, it sounded like it was coming from the passenger's side where the windshield meets the dash. After replacing the windshield and stuffing foam in the dash, the noise moved to where it sounded like it was now coming from the driver's side. I always thought the sound was coming from inside the car so I was skeptical when they finally said it was the plastic on the outside of the windshield causing the creaking. I can't say it was broken or defective, but once they replaced it the creaking went away.