GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Verizon phone on other luxury cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 06:32 AM
brn2rnjk1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Verizon phone on other luxury cars?

I am confused about the verizon issue on the lexus bluetooth and other luxury cars. I haven't heard the same problem on the BMW or Merdedes? Is this solely a lexus issue and if so, why?

Jim
Old 07-26-06, 07:56 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking about not being able to transfer the phonebook over? If so, it's solely a Verizon issue since they disabled that feature on all their phones. This has nothing to do with auto makers.
Old 07-26-06, 08:13 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
I have had zero issues connecting via bluetooth and transferring the phone book on either of my BMW's (2006 X5, 2006 650i). Right now I am using my Blackberry, but a few weeks ago our corporate Verizon rep came by with a few other Verizon phones to try out (not for bluetooth testing but for e-mail testing with Exchange/GoodLink)

No pairing/address transfer issues with:

Palm Treo 650 (my phone in Oct/Nov 2005)
Palm Treo 700p (only transfers the 50 "favorites", which IMHO is an advantage)
Blackberry 7130e
Blackberry 7250
Motorola Q

All Verizon phones, no issues at all with bluetooth connectivity and phone book transferring.
Really? I stand corrected. I always thought it was because Verizon phones didn't support the object push profile. Maybe the issues are only with Lexus then.
Old 07-26-06, 08:29 AM
brn2rnjk1
Driver

So, now I am confused. Why isn't there more of an outcry with Lexus. I understand that Verizon has crippled the OPP feature, but if the phones act like they should on a BMW, it seems that Lexus is at fault.

Jim
Old 07-26-06, 09:51 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brn2rnjk1
So, now I am confused. Why isn't there more of an outcry with Lexus. I understand that Verizon has crippled the OPP feature, but if the phones act like they should on a BMW, it seems that Lexus is at fault.

Jim
I didn't have Bluetooth on my `04 SC430 (recently traded-in); and don't have it on my `04 GX470. However, bluetooth seems to be working flawlessly on my `05 BMW 645ci. My cellphone is the Motorola "SLVR". Bluetooth loaded my phonebook and I am able to give the system voice commands, like "Dial ___", and it connects me.
Old 07-26-06, 10:21 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Verizon phone I had (Motorola) would connect via Bluetooth and worked fine but you could not tranfser anything because Verizon blocked that capability for my security (thier words). I switched over to Cingular so I could transfer numbers. On the Lexus side the whole phone book issue and how it accepts and stores names and numbers is goofy so I've just limited it to a handful of family members. I think everyone would agree it needs to be setup like Outlook with an external USB connection as well so you could just plug in a laptop and upload calenders, addresses, etc.
Old 07-26-06, 10:50 AM
gwong
Rookie

I have had zero issues connecting via bluetooth and transferring the phone book on either of my BMW's (2006 X5, 2006 650i). Right now I am using my Blackberry, but a few weeks ago our corporate Verizon rep came by with a few other Verizon phones to try out (not for bluetooth testing but for e-mail testing with Exchange/GoodLink)

No pairing/address transfer issues with:

Palm Treo 650 (my phone in Oct/Nov 2005)
Palm Treo 700p (only transfers the 50 "favorites", which IMHO is an advantage)
Blackberry 7130e
Blackberry 7250
Motorola Q

All Verizon phones, no issues at all with bluetooth connectivity and phone book transferring.

Do the two 2006 BMWs have the BMW Assist?
Old 07-26-06, 10:56 AM
srashid
Driver

I thought this was common knowledge now, but for those of you with Gen 4 NAV and Verizon, the easy solution is to buy an unlocked Sony T68 cellphone on ebay (about $40), put your names numbers in it, then transfer them to the car's phonebook with this handset.

Then those names/numbers will work fine with your Verizon phone, and the Sony does not have to be signed up to any service contract.
Old 07-26-06, 10:58 AM
brn2rnjk1
Driver

Thanks, I heard about the workaround. I am more interested in why Lexus won't support the "crippled" verizon phone, but BMW does? I keep hearing it is Verizon's fault, but obviously there are cars that the Verizon phones will upload phonebooks etc.

Jim
Old 07-26-06, 11:17 AM
srashid
Driver

Originally Posted by brn2rnjk1
Thanks, I heard about the workaround. I am more interested in why Lexus won't support the "crippled" verizon phone, but BMW does? I keep hearing it is Verizon's fault, but obviously there are cars that the Verizon phones will upload phonebooks etc.

Jim
Yes, from another thread on the RX forum that a BMW owner sent, it looks like BMW's Bluetooth system is much better than the Lexus implementation in a lot of ways (auto-transfer of phonebook when you get in teh car, scroll thriough phonebook using steering wheel controls, able to do this while moving, etc.).
Old 07-26-06, 12:18 PM
gwong
Rookie

Yes, I believe all current models include BMW Assist
Thanks for reply. Strange question I know, but reason I asked was I understand the bluetooth is integrated with the BMW Assist. I remember reading somewhere awhile back that the BMW Assist module is made by Motorola's Automotive Division (now owned by Johnson Controls). So it seems even though Verizon disables the transfer protocol, BMW with a little help from Motorola was able to work around it. Wish they would tell us how they did that.
Old 07-26-06, 03:57 PM
srashid
Driver

I never really paid attention to the Lexus implementation... I didn't realize that:
  • It doesn't automatically transfer/update the phone book each time?
  • No steering wheel or voice control while moving?
The "buy a Sony on ebay" is a terrible workaround.

I use my phone a fair amount, always hands free, contacs added/removed on a daily basis. Not to be "shallow" but this would be a serious factor in a purchase decision. I don't like "workarounds" or hacks.. I just want it to work as it should.

I believe that Audi and Acura's implementation is on par with BMW.
Well I only have the Gen 4 NAV/Bluetooth, and I believe the Gen 5 is a little better with some voice control, but I still don't think it's as good as the BMW's. It does allow entry of contacts manually I think, which mine doesn't. Although it sounds ridiculous, I think a lot of users with Gen 4 NAV/Verizon have no contact names entered into the car's phonebook. It also disables use of the phonebook while moving which is handy!
Old 07-26-06, 06:10 PM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well you can hack the razor on verizon to enable a lot of the features. anyone try with a hacked razor??
Old 07-29-06, 09:42 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Verizon crippled the transfer feature not Lexus....

Lexus was at fault in the Gen. 4 (circa 2004) by not allowing the phonebook to be manually implemented but at that time Verizon (CDMA) didn't even have a bluetooth phone out yet. There was a class action lawsuit against Verizon for this and other issues....

The Gen 5 has more features including voice dials and manual entry of up to 1000 listings. Six phones can be paired with the system.

Of course BMW is perfect and never has any problems which is why they download patches on a regular basis..........The I-drive is a disaster to most owners and we get them traded in with 5,000 miles because they don't understand it .... That is after is was dumbed down from the original full 700 feature version. We own a BMW store and their techs have their hands full with electronic issues so I would glady trade the minor Bluetooth teething pains than I-drive myself crazy....

Rock