GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is the GS Reliable and Solid Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-06, 05:45 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Is the GS Reliable and Solid Yet?

I've been flippin through this forum and noticed several threads of irate GS owners with trouble prone and rattling 3rd Gen GSes. There are numerous members with a string of warranty repairs and numerous down days on their new cars. This was disconcerting to hear in a new Lexus. I am a poor college student looking to get a used 3gen GS sometime in the future but was wondering that 2006 GSes at the very least should be avoided. I absolutely love the GS shape exterior and the interior.

Whats plaguing these GSes and what do we know about Lexus addressing any of these changes for the GS460 and GS350 lines?

Also, when do you believe the GS350's will drop in value to sub 30k levels?
Old 07-16-06, 02:36 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading forums is a good way to find out what common problems are, but a poor way of finding out HOW common those problems are since you have no idea what kind of sample you're actually dealing with. JD Power and such are much better for this purpose.
Old 07-16-06, 03:24 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, and keep in mind that forums are usually a place for people to post for help, so naturally you are going to get more "problem" posts than "my GS is operating A-ok" posts.

i have a first batch Feb 05 built GS430 and it has been nothing short of perfect in the rattles dept. and we've had over 6 lexuses in the past, and i am very **** about noises. this GS is my 3rd, and it's been the best so far. the only complaint i had was the crappy Yokohamas they put on the car, which i recently replaced.

sub 30k on a new 350? they are not out yet, and it will start at mid-40's...
Old 07-16-06, 06:41 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexuslover
yes, and keep in mind that forums are usually a place for people to post for help, so naturally you are going to get more "problem" posts than "my GS is operating A-ok" posts.

i have a first batch Feb 05 built GS430 and it has been nothing short of perfect in the rattles dept. and we've had over 6 lexuses in the past, and i am very **** about noises. this GS is my 3rd, and it's been the best so far. the only complaint i had was the crappy Yokohamas they put on the car, which i recently replaced.

Thanks for the responses. You both are precisely correct, theres no way of telling how common the problems are on internet boards since they do usually attract those needing help. (Save the Acura boards where there are tose there to post problems and they happen to be wide spread problems). I guess what threw me for a loop were the several threads I read of people simply fed up with the car and, if my memory serves me right, a couple posts within those threads agreeding that rattling is widespread in the GS. Ill have to look again but I'm remembering something about someone saying the GS has numerous (much higher than usual) TSBs on it already. When I get more time I'll have to search forums but it was all a bit unusual since we don't see that on the LS board, but then again it is the LS board after all, one of the most reliable cars on the road today.

Sorry, let me clarify, I didn't mean sub 30K for a new GS off the lot, I meant in what year do you expect I could get a used GS350 for sub 30K?
Old 07-16-06, 06:47 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Just picked up a copy of Consumer Reports and the GS is among the best
in reliability. CR feels that a brand NEW GS would have above average reliability
at this point, so THEIR opinion is yes it is solid.

Unfortunately if you're the one affected, like I was (rattles), you tend to get
worked up . I;'ve had no problems since the rattles and the seat belt
recall (all dealt with through warranty)

My honest opinion (with any car) is wait until Model Year #3
Old 07-16-06, 07:57 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Originally Posted by marshmallo
Just picked up a copy of Consumer Reports and the GS is among the best
in reliability. CR feels that a brand NEW GS would have above average reliability
at this point, so THEIR opinion is yes it is solid.

Unfortunately if you're the one affected, like I was (rattles), you tend to get
worked up . I;'ve had no problems since the rattles and the seat belt
recall (all dealt with through warranty)

My honest opinion (with any car) is wait until Model Year #3
Thanks, yes I'll take that advice and look to getting a used GS350 when they hit my price range. The consumer reports rating is also encouraging news.
Old 07-16-06, 10:28 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

i have a first batch Feb 05 built GS430 and it has been nothing short of perfect in the rattles dept. and we've had over 6 lexuses in the past

same here with over 6 lexus' in the past, and with the first GS430 in our area, it has no problems at all!!!
Old 07-17-06, 08:41 AM
PeteV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't want to hijack this thread, but curious, what tires did you replace the Yoko's with, and what was crappy about them?

This shouldn't mean much, since I have only 3,000 miles on my GS, but I have had no problems. Of course, when I drive home today, a rattle will probably start. :-)
Old 07-17-06, 09:40 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by PeteV
Don't want to hijack this thread, but curious, what tires did you replace the Yoko's with, and what was crappy about them?

This shouldn't mean much, since I have only 3,000 miles on my GS, but I have had no problems. Of course, when I drive home today, a rattle will probably start. :-)
mine came with the stock 18" Yokohama Advans. they were fine at purchase, then about 5k miles started howling like crazy. just terrible. did a search on tirerack.com and discounttire.com and found multiple other GS430 owners reporting the same thing (some as early as 3k miles). the sad thing is that i waited until 15k miles to replace them b/c the tread is still fine, looks like at least 40-50% left. i saved them so i could put them back on when i turn the car back in under the lease but i could not stand the noise anymore (it is audible even with radio on). we replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, which we have been very happy with on the SC as well. cost an arm and a leg, but soooooooo much happier now.
Old 07-18-06, 02:55 PM
jwa
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankfully, most of the problems with the GS have been limited to rattles and not mechanical issues that would leave you stranded on the side of the road. My 2007 450H seems quiter than the 2006 300 I traded, but there are still a few rattles in the doors and an occasional squeak from the dash. It will take a few more months and seasonal temperature changes to be certain, but I think they've made some progress.