GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

I can't believe it!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 06:53 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I can't believe it!

I still can't believe it. My wife and I went to the dealership to test drive the new ES350 with the intention of buying it if we liked it. We liked it. The new ES seems to be a very nice car. While trying to select a model, there was a GS sitting next to the one we chose. My wife kept looking at the GS. She thought it looked better. I didn't agree. She thought the GS was more luxurious. I didn't agree. She thought the GS was sportier. I only slightly agreed because the ES has 270 hp and the GS300 has 245. Of course rear wheel drive is alway more sporty but not by much with a big sedan. Bottom line, I let my wife talk me into getting the GS. The clincher....she reminded me I forced her to get the 99 ES we have (had) and she hated it. Four years she has driven a car she hated. She wants to drive a car she likes. I thought about myself. I drive the car I always wanted, the SC...The Platinumsc...as I call it. Before this car I drove an Infiniti J30 and I hated it. I gave in because I understood. I've said several times I don't really like the 3GS but hopefully, it will grow on me. So here I am guys, a part of the GS family.

It's black with cashmere interior. I never spelled cashmere, it that right? I may not post pics until I rim it. Who wants to see a stock car? No lowering in the near fututre. This is my wifes daily driver...I'm going to have to talk her into it.

Last edited by Ice350; 06-13-06 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-13-06, 07:24 PM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd definitely get the GS over the ES.

congrats though...it's not your car so don't worry about it.
Old 06-13-06, 07:24 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and welcome!

I read some of your reservations about the 3GS in the other forums
and all I can say is I was not overly thrilled with the car at first also,
but now I am happy I got it. Hopefully it will be the same for you.
Old 06-13-06, 07:29 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats, can't go wrong with either, although I'm a GS guy.
Old 06-13-06, 07:40 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I agree with your wife
The ES350 is probably the nicest ES ever, but given the choice, I would still pick the new GS over the new ES.
Even just on looks alone, after seeing & comparing them a couple times in the showroom, I think the 3GS still looks better than the ES350, although I initially thought otherwise when I first saw the ES350. Congratulations for the new car
Old 06-13-06, 07:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Congrats reggie - and you're a smart man letting your wife get what SHE wants. Now you won't hear the "it's your fault" for the next little while unless she hates it and says "how did you let me talk YOU into buying the GS?" Hey there's always a way to lose with the ladies.

Anyway, I was wondering, given how they were configured what the out of the door diff. in price was over the ES you were looking at and the GS300? Also, I would hope you got some good negotiating on the GS since the 350 is coming soon?
Old 06-13-06, 08:10 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oneeyejack
i'd definitely get the GS over the ES.

congrats though...it's not your car so don't worry about it.
What do you mean it's not my car. It's my wife's daily driver but it is OUR car. It's in my name, using my credit and I made the deal. Ultimately, it was my decision....well, our decision but you know what I mean.

Thanks, everyone. Bit, I can't talk much about the price. I was having a lot of problems with the 99 ES. In fact, I took it in today for more work and decided to see what kind of deal they would give me for 4 years of problems. I got a really good deal. Can't tell you guys the price. I will tell you half of it. I was upside down in the ES with 88K miles and they got me out of it. JMLexus came through for me. It was expected but they did it without me yelling and screaming. Everyone was really cool. I appreciate that.

My wife is reall happy.
Old 06-13-06, 08:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Congrats reggie - and you're a smart man letting your wife get what SHE wants. Now you won't hear the "it's your fault" for the next little while unless she hates it and says "how did you let me talk YOU into buying the GS?" Hey there's always a way to lose with the ladies.

Anyway, I was wondering, given how they were configured what the out of the door diff. in price was over the ES you were looking at and the GS300? Also, I would hope you got some good negotiating on the GS since the 350 is coming soon?
I agree
Old 06-13-06, 11:31 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

hm.....makes me wonder...would you guys trade a 2GS for the new ES350? I got an 04 GS300 with under 11k miles and it seems that if you get the top of the line ES350 it would almost be the same price as what I paid for the 04 GS300 which doesn't have nav, or ml.
Old 06-14-06, 06:46 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Wha? How were you upside down on a 99 ES which you bought 4 years ago?

Well, the GS is A LOT nicer than the ES. Even though the 07ES is already out with the 350 motor.
Old 06-14-06, 07:18 AM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Originally Posted by reggiek
What do you mean it's not my car. It's my wife's daily driver but it is OUR car. It's in my name, using my credit and I made the deal. Ultimately, it was my decision....well, our decision but you know what I mean.

Thanks, everyone. Bit, I can't talk much about the price. I was having a lot of problems with the 99 ES. In fact, I took it in today for more work and decided to see what kind of deal they would give me for 4 years of problems. I got a really good deal. Can't tell you guys the price. I will tell you half of it. I was upside down in the ES with 88K miles and they got me out of it. JMLexus came through for me. It was expected but they did it without me yelling and screaming. Everyone was really cool. I appreciate that.

My wife is reall happy.
it's her daily driver, so she should drive what she wants to drive. now she has no excuse to whine anymore cuz she decided on the car.
Old 06-14-06, 09:44 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

congrats on the purchase, we still want to see pics even without wheels
Old 06-14-06, 10:44 AM
yon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default As a former ES owner myself...

...let me just say that the GS is way, way more car than the ES.

My mistake was buying an IS300 SportCross for my wife---made the 02 ES seem like a boat by comparison (an oft-repeated observation made with much smugness by my other half ). The 3GS is a perfect mix of size, luxury, and handling.
Old 06-14-06, 10:59 AM
knicker
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its sounds like your wife has very good taste!!!!! Congrats!!!
Old 06-14-06, 11:08 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the purchase...I guess

I think with time you'll grow to appreciate the GS more.

Quick Reply: I can't believe it!