GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tips, Tricks, DIY's, & How-To's

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-06, 05:00 AM
snak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those trying to reset the OIL MAINT REQD msg, follow the OIL MAINT RESET procedure - the key is that it all must be done without starting the engine.

Last edited by snak; 07-04-06 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-02-06, 08:24 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DVD & Bluetooth Override (Doesn't enable NAV address input)

Credit goes to ScareyH22A.

I've read most of these posts and there's no simplified instructions w/much detail. So here I go.

Disclaimer>
But before I begin, a word of caution. Some people can't even talk on a phone and drive, let alone have a movie playing in front of them. Please don't do this if you don't have self restraint and control. If you kill yourself because you were watching a movie behind the wheel, we'll all laugh and call you an idiot. But if you kill someone else, you will forever be branded a murderer. BTW, watching a DVD while driving is mostly likely, illegal in most states. Check with your local law enforcement.

Hopefully, you have had some experience w/a crimper and maybe even a soldering iron. And I really hope that this is not going to be your maiden outting on a $50K Lexus. If you're using a soldering iron, please be careful with it. We charge $150 for this procedure and you may think that it's a lot but you'll be SOL if you burn a hole through your carpet w/a soldering iron. You'll probably kick yourself in the *** for not shelling out a measly $150. Besides, if you drive a $50K car you should be able to afford it. If you can't, you've got your priorities screwed up. Think before you do. We make it look easy because we have experience and experienced people deserve to get paid.

Instructions>
The removal instructions are already posted somewhere. I won't go into that.
There are three white plugs going into the monitor. We will not touch the middle one.

On the far left, closest to driver's side, is 26-pin plug K46.
On the far right, closest to passenger side, is 32-pin plug h1.

On K46, pin # 14 is purple. It is the VSS wire coming in from the BCM to the monitor. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.
On K46, pin # 23 is yellow. It is the Parking Brake wire that tells the monitor if the parking brake is engaged. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.
On h1, pin # 13 is pink. It is the VSS wire that leads out to the navigation unit. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

The monitor side of the purple wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.
The wireloom side of the yellow wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.
The monitor side of the pink wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.
Use a ring terminal and an 18 awg wire to connect the monitor side of the yellow wire to chassis ground. There's plenty of grounding locations available along the side, where the monitor mounts. Screw or bolt it in securely w/o interfering w/mounting area.
Use butt connectors or tape and solder an 18 awg wire to connect the wireloom side of the purple wire to the wireloom side of the pink wire. You are effectively re-routing the VSS signal directly into the navigation.

Reinstall the monitor and you are finished.

Synopsis>

Now you should be able to watch movies and access the Bluetooth features while in motion. The parking brake indicator light will only come on when the parking brake is actually engaged. And there should be proper VSS signal reaching the navigation unit. All with absolutely no switches needed. However, this procedure will not bypass the navigation safety feature. You cannot input addresses, etc. while moving.

Obviously, the VSS signal is still reaching the navigation brain and it's sensing movement and locks you out of it's controls.

Top down view.

Plug K46, closest to driver.

Plug h1, closest to passenger.
Old 07-03-06, 05:35 AM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the NON-navigation/NON-ML version of the GS.

I''m looking to be able to use the bluetooth phone features, and the RDS messages while the car is moving.

How would I have to modify this procedure?

If the idea is to break an electrical connection, could I plug the connector pin, associated with the applicable wire color, using a small piece of insulating plastic? Obviously, I'd rather not cut the wire, if I don't have to - I'd like it to be reversible. It's a shame there isn't a way to use an extra M-F connector that you could just plug inline, where the right pins could be "disabled".

Would any of this adversely affect any other functions like the fuel consumption, range remaining, odometer, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-06, 07:02 AM
Chernobyl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I just got my 2006 GS 430, after owning a 2004 BMW X5, and a 2005 BMW 545i!! I absoluetly love this car..there's no problems so far whatsoever!!

My question is,
Is there a way to disable the safety message when you start up the car, the one where you have to press on "I agree"?? It's really pissing me off that I have to press it everytime I start the car!!

Any tips??
The following users liked this post:
Xenith (02-10-21)
Old 07-10-06, 03:18 PM
knicker
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NewGS4me
When I follow the steps on the nav, and I get to the "override" button, I can hit it, but it does NOT highlight it or turn black or change in any way, so I still can't input destinations while driving. I just got my car last month...do you think something's different now?
Amy
not only hold it down but you have to hit the back button.
Old 07-20-06, 05:51 PM
Valet Park
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hziemba
I have the NON-navigation/NON-ML version of the GS.

I''m looking to be able to use the bluetooth phone features, and the RDS messages while the car is moving.

How would I have to modify this procedure?

If the idea is to break an electrical connection, could I plug the connector pin, associated with the applicable wire color, using a small piece of insulating plastic? Obviously, I'd rather not cut the wire, if I don't have to - I'd like it to be reversible. It's a shame there isn't a way to use an extra M-F connector that you could just plug inline, where the right pins could be "disabled".

I have the same setup you do, no nav no ML, just bluetooth. Ive been looking around and it looks like our fix is the hardwire described in the post before yours?

Is this correct SGT? no other way huh?
Old 07-30-06, 01:49 PM
webhed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SGT

I've read most of these posts and there's no simplified instructions w/much detail. So here I go.

Disclaimer>
But before I begin, a word of caution. Some people can't even talk on a phone and drive, let alone have a movie playing in front of them. Please don't do this if you don't have self restraint and control. If you kill yourself because you were watching a movie behind the wheel, we'll all laugh and call you an idiot. But if you kill someone else, you will forever be branded a murderer. BTW, watching a DVD while driving is mostly likely, illegal in most states. Check with your local law enforcement.

Hopefully, you have had some experience w/a crimper and maybe even a soldering iron. And I really hope that this is not going to be your maiden outting on a $50K Lexus. If you're using a soldering iron, please be careful with it. We charge $150 for this procedure and you may think that it's a lot but you'll be SOL if you burn a hole through your carpet w/a soldering iron. You'll probably kick yourself in the *** for not shelling out a measly $150. Besides, if you drive a $50K car you should be able to afford it. If you can't, you've got your priorities screwed up. Think before you do. We make it look easy because we have experience and experienced people deserve to get paid.

Instructions>
There are three white plugs going into the monitor. We will not touch the middle one.

On K46, pin # 14 is purple. It is the VSS wire coming in from the BCM to the monitor. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.
On K46, pin # 23 is yellow. It is the Parking Brake wire that tells the monitor if the parking brake is engaged. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.
On h1, pin # 13 is pink. It is the VSS wire that leads out to the navigation unit. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

The monitor side of the purple wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.
The wireloom side of the yellow wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.
The monitor side of the pink wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.
Use a ring terminal and an 18 awg wire to connect the monitor side of the yellow wire to chassis ground. There's plenty of grounding locations available along the side, where the monitor mounts. Screw or bolt it in securely w/o interfering w/mounting area.
Use butt connectors or tape and solder an 18 awg wire to connect the wireloom side of the purple wire to the wireloom side of the pink wire. You are effectively re-routing the VSS signal directly into the navigation.

Synopsis>

Now you should be able to watch movies and access the Bluetooth features while in motion. The parking brake indicator light will only come on when the parking brake is actually engaged. And there should be proper VSS signal reaching the navigation unit. All with absolutely no switches needed. However, this procedure will not bypass the navigation safety feature. You cannot input addresses, etc. while moving.

Obviously, the VSS signal is still reaching the navigation brain and it's sensing movement and locks you out of it's controls.

Top down view.

SGT

Can this mod be done on a non-nav GS? I had my friends shop look at this procedure but when my friend opened up the panel he saw that my does not have the 32pin plug h1 that requires the VSS (pink wire) to complete the mod. DVD with ML and bluetooth is offered in Hawaii but nav isn't.
Old 07-30-06, 03:50 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by webhed
SGT

Can this mod be done on a non-nav GS? I had my friends shop look at this procedure but when my friend opened up the panel he saw that my does not have the 32pin plug h1 that requires the VSS (pink wire) to complete the mod. DVD with ML and bluetooth is offered in Hawaii but nav isn't.
I'm not sure as I've never seen the inside of a non-nav head unit on the GS. Perhaps someone else might know.
Old 07-31-06, 10:19 AM
mmaann
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know of a shop that can perform this in my area? I live in Downtown Los Angeles. Anywhere within 40 miles is reasonable.

Originally Posted by SGT

Disclaimer>

Instructions>

Synopsis>

Top down view.

Old 08-03-06, 05:27 PM
aj786
Driver School Candidate

Default DVD Mod

Anyone know where i can get this mod done? I live in the SF Bay Area.

Thanks.
-AJ

Originally Posted by SGT

Disclaimer>

Instructions>

Synopsis>

Top down view.

Old 08-03-06, 08:06 PM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aj786
Anyone know where i can get this mod done? I live in the SF Bay Area.

Thanks.
-AJ

If you’re not comfortable doing it yourself you could always take it to a stereo shop with these instructions and they should be able to do it for you no problem. I had someone from a body shop do mine, it cost me $70 and it took them less then 30 minutes start to finish. You will love it when it is done.
Old 08-04-06, 12:15 PM
aj786
Driver School Candidate

I have a GS450h. Is there anything different about this one that I need done? I have the ML package too. I don't have the wiring schematics. Where I can I get one?

Thanks.
-AJ
Old 08-04-06, 12:36 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aj786
I have a GS450h. Is there anything different about this one that I need done? I have the ML package too. I don't have the wiring schematics. Where I can I get one?

Thanks.
-AJ
AJ, check this post here: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...dpost&p=198858

There is also a guide on how to do the nav hack here: http://pages.videotron.com/cbg/DVD%2...50h%202007.doc
Old 08-04-06, 02:44 PM
aj786
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SGT
AJ, check this post here: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...dpost&p=198858

There is also a guide on how to do the nav hack here: http://pages.videotron.com/cbg/DVD%2...50h%202007.doc

Thanks for all this great information!!! I will definitely give it a try.

Thanks so much.

-AJ
Old 08-14-06, 05:06 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by john37
Does anyone know how to get rid of the tire pressure sensor warning?

fill/drain your freakin tires...
The following users liked this post:
GSKevin (12-29-20)

Quick Reply: Tips, Tricks, DIY's, & How-To's