GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tips, Tricks, DIY's, & How-To's

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 04:29 PM
coreyb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT
Are you getting the OIL MAINT RESET message? If so, here's how to get rid of it:

1. Push the “ODO TRIP” switch in the switch box to
change the display to blank.
2. Turn the engine switch off.
3. Turn the engine switch on with the trip meter “RESET”
switch held down.
4. Keep pushing the “RESET” switch for longer than 7
seconds after the engine switch is turned on.
After the above operation, the master warning light comes
on, a warning tone sounds and the above message
appears to inform you that the engine oil maintenance
data has been reset.
Thanks for the quick reply, this is exactly what I needed... I hope people keep posting to this forum, there are a lot of tricks I have seen out there and it would be nice to complie them all in one place for 3g GS models. Has anyone tried the "box" they are talking on the GX side on a GS? My girlfriend gets annoyed that she can not do the desination while we are moving...
Old 05-12-06, 05:53 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to Change Inner Parking Lights (aka city lights)

Here's how to change the inner bulb (parking/driving light - whatever it's called) Keep in mind, the day-time running lights are acutally the high-beams running at a lower wattage. This mod only changes the color of the lights when the actual headlights are on.

1) Follow steps in previous "How-to" to remove engine covers.
2) Locate light socket housing. You can locate the mini-wedge 168 style bulb in the inner set of circle lights from the outside of the light and follow the bulb back to get to the socket. It's SUPER long.
Name:  CityLights1_resize.jpg
Views: 19422
Size:  31.4 KB
3) Once you find the socket, twist to loosen and pull out.
Name:  CityLights3_resize.jpg
Views: 19400
Size:  27.5 KB
4) Remove bulb and replace with new bulb (small wedge/168-style)
Name:  CityLights2_resize.jpg
Views: 19301
Size:  39.6 KB
5) Re-insert socket and twist to tighten.
6) Replace engine cover and -Done-!
Name:  PiaaIonCrystalCityLights3_resize.jpg
Views: 19475
Size:  37.7 KB
(Smoky effect is secret cancer stick trick.. do at your own risk)
The following users liked this post:
jtwong007 (01-07-23)
Old 05-12-06, 07:45 PM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
Here's how to change the inner bulb (parking/driving light - whatever it's called) Keep in mind, the day-time running lights are acutally the high-beams running at a lower wattage. This mod only changes the color of the lights when the actual headlights are on.

1) Follow steps in previous "How-to" to remove engine covers.
2) Locate light socket housing. You can locate the mini-wedge 168 style bulb in the inner set of circle lights from the outside of the light and follow the bulb back to get to the socket. It's SUPER long.
This was the other thing I needed to know how to change the bulbs. I saw the stick but wasn't sure if I should mess with it. Thanks again.
Old 05-13-06, 01:43 PM
03LX470
Intermediate

Default Automatically Locking All Doors After Drive Off

Does anyone has instructions for this?
Thanks
Old 05-15-06, 04:55 AM
ajcsanders
Driver

Default Audible Warning for Speed Camera (Radar)

The Nav/GPS system allows you to assign audible icons to places you mark while driving around... One of the audible icons is directional, i.e. it can make a sound if you approach the Mark in a certain direction, but makes no sound if you approach the mark from the opposite direction.

1) while driving, exactly as you pass the speed camera, press the Mark button on your Nav screen. Mark all the cameras you pass that you feel need an audible warning in future. Each speed camera will be marked with a flag.
2) when you get home, access all your Marks via the navigation Menu, My Places screen.
3) for each mark in your system, select Change Icon and choose one of the audible icons from the 3rd screen.
4) if the speed camera was on one side of the road, i.e. covering only a single direction, then choose the directional icon. If the speed camera was in the middle and could swivel to cover both sides of the road, then choose one of the other 3 audible icons.
5) done

You will find that as you approach the speed camera in the future, you will hear a chime about 100 m before you pass the speed camera. This even works if you are on a different display or if the display is turned off. It does not work (obviously) if your NAV volume is muted. Also, if you have not pressed on the I Agree button before you set off - it will also not work.

Good Luck!
Old 05-15-06, 07:07 AM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to know how to get in there and adjust the height of the low beams ? The manual tells you how but it is confusing.
Old 05-15-06, 10:29 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headrest Adjustment

Credit goes to VVT-i:

The driver side headrest will move up or down automatically when you adjust the driver seat forward or backward. But you can adjust the driver seat manaully by press this little button on the right hand side of the seat.

Last edited by SGT; 05-15-06 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-15-06, 10:30 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Default Eject Navigation DVD

Credit goes to VVT-i:

The DVD for the Navigation system is located in the glove box, but you will not see the " Eject " buttom anywhere.

You will have to press the " Menu" buttom on the right side of the Nav screen. You wil see the " Map DVD" at the top corner.

After you touch on the " Map DVD". The next screen is the " Eject " buttom icon. Press that.

Here is your Navigation DVD.

Old 05-15-06, 10:32 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Default Bluetooth Sound Adjustment

Credit goes to VVT-i:

1. Press the start bottom twice( foot off the brake pedal) and headlight adjuster to " off "

2. While pressing on the " Info " buttom with your right index. Use your right hand turn the headlight from " Off" to " Headlight"( not AUTO), Off-Head, Off-Head, three times. This will lead you to the " Diagnostic Menu". You can touch on the top right screen " Menu"

3. For those that have Bluetooth phone you can touch the BT on the buttom of the screen.

This will lead you to the BT voice quality set. You have to play with it and see which setting is suit you best both for " Incoming call " and " Outgoing call". But hey, you can do it yourself and adjust it anytime you wanted. Enjoy.

Old 05-15-06, 02:45 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by SGT
Credit goes to VVT-i:

1. Press the start bottom twice( foot off the brake pedal) and headlight adjuster to " off "

2. While pressing on the " Info " buttom with your right index. Use your right hand turn the headlight from " Off" to " Headlight"( not AUTO), Off-Head, Off-Head, three times. This will lead you to the " Diagnostic Menu". You can touch on the top right screen " Menu"

3. For those that have Bluetooth phone you can touch the BT on the buttom of the screen.

This will lead you to the BT voice quality set. You have to play with it and see which setting is suit you best both for " Incoming call " and " Outgoing call". But hey, you can do it yourself and adjust it anytime you wanted. Enjoy.

I wonder what the voice quality type number refers to? Is it adjustable? Mine is on 7.
Even though it says to see the service manual, there is no mention of how to change the setting of the voice quality type anywhere in the entire service manual.
Old 05-15-06, 07:53 PM
kingpinOLD
Driver School Candidate

Default Great info

That last bit on the BT quality adjustment is very useful for me. Thanks to SGT and VVT-i.
Old 05-16-06, 10:56 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, now how about a walk thru on how to change the icons on your maintenance screen back to green eventhough you reset them...

CV
Old 05-16-06, 04:41 PM
LtotheX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BobsGX
I wonder what the voice quality type number refers to? Is it adjustable? Mine is on 7.
Even though it says to see the service manual, there is no mention of how to change the setting of the voice quality type anywhere in the entire service manual.
This is Very Helpfull. Thankyou for the walk thrue. I was just curious, where did you learn all these tips and tricks?
Old 05-17-06, 03:04 PM
gs450hjp2
Driver School Candidate

Default DVD workaround

I have a 2007 gs450h with dvd , I would really like to know how to make it so we can watch a movie on the nav screen , I am told this is possiable, however I need the "magic trick" how, can anybody help, thanks
Old 05-17-06, 07:08 PM
kingpinOLD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Mine is at 11. But can't seem to adjust it. Would appreciate if someone could help explain what the voice quality type is and how to change the setting too?

Quick Reply: Tips, Tricks, DIY's, & How-To's