GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tips, Tricks, DIY's, & How-To's

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 05:49 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vicdreyer
Technique, do you know if the display interface is still the same using the older firmware vs the newer one (i.e. will I see any subtle differences?) Also, will I sacrifice any patches or updates using the older firmware?
Thanks,

Vic
The display interface will look identical...

No one really knows what the different firmwares do, except we know for sure they eliminated the known override sequence in the new one... There may be a few other subtle changes but no one that I know of who has used both firmwares has seen any real differences...

Don't forget, if you do discover a change, and you want to go back to the newer one, you can... Just put the original V6.1 disc back in and it will automatically reload the new firmware...
Old 12-20-06, 07:46 AM
pabugeater
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Correct. MP3 folders, DVDs, phone, etc... are all controlled by the nav DISPLAY unit, which has nothing to do with loading.kwi

Destination entry is controlled by the nav brain unit, which is where the loading.kwi firmware resides.
On a 2007 Camry Hybrid Over Ride also unlocks the phone, FYI. I wonder why?
Old 12-21-06, 04:58 AM
AngelRus
Driver School Candidate

SGT,
Doy you have a detail descriptions of connectors on the back side of the monitor?
Old 12-21-06, 07:41 AM
vicdreyer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AngelRus
SGT,
Doy you have a detail descriptions of connectors on the back side of the monitor?
Hi,

Try this site http://www.oemvalue.com/install07.htm
Old 12-29-06, 01:11 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Sonartech
I'm glad to help. The process is very easy. Obviously, you'll need a double-layer DVD+R (I use Memorex), and the mastering program of your choice. I use Prassi "Ones". Here's the process:
  1. Get your original v5.1 and v6.1 NavDVD's out and make sure they are clean. If not, wash them with warm soap and water and use a soft towel to DAB the extra water away.
  2. Make a folder on your computer called "v5.1" and copy the contents of the v5.1 DVD to that folder.
  3. Make a folder on your computer called "v6.1" and copy the contents of the v6.1 DVD to that folder.
  4. Start your mastering program and create a new DATA DVD.
  5. Drag all the files and folders from the v6.1 directory you created EXCEPT the LOADING.KWI file to the project.
  6. Drag the LOADING.KWI file from the v5.1 folder to the project.
  7. Burn the DVD+R as a DVD Incremental, Closed, since DVD+R doesn't support Track-At-Once, Closed.
Here's a picture of the process in ONES that I used:

Anyway, that's how I did it.

SonarTech

December 29, 2006

The V.06.1 map data with V.05.1 firmware (LOADING.KWI) hybrid disc actually works on my 2007 GS350, my thanks to SonarTech!!! Now I can use the OVERRIDE feature on my brand new GS350.

However, I want to share some important information that may help you guys during your installation.

1. I originally use Ahead Nero 6.6 burning software, it did not work due to the “ALLDATA.KWI” is a huge 2.4 GB file that is not allowed for “ISO 9660 + UDF” burning so I ended up using “UDF” only. After I burned the DVD, the navigation map showed up for about 10 second then it went black and the screen says it’s not a correct DVD. So I dug out SnoarTech’s post and downloaded the Prassi "Ones" burning software (I found it free on: http://www.bitburners.com/Software/D...NES_by_Prassi/), installed it and then followed all the steps on SnoarTech’s post. Finally, I created a hybrid override DVD I believe it should work.
2. I inserted the hybrid DVD again, this time the navigation map did not disappear in 10 seconds. It actually stayed permanently. But I can’t perform the Menu > Volume > Left Upper Corner > Left Lower Corner > Left Upper Corner > Left Lower Corner to the override screen. I then disconnected the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes and reinstalled it, this time the navigation system reloaded and 30 seconds later, I got everything worked. I can now override my Navigation while driving. REMEMBER: You need to disconnect the battery!!!
3. I also found out with this new hybrid override DVD, I lost the ability to voice command temperature operation feature. It was originally in my GS350 V.06.1 DVD. Not that is a big deal because actually it is faster to operate climate control without voice command. Just want to share this with all GS350 owners in case you freak out that the climate voice command is broken.

4. (update on 12/30/06) When I drove the GS350 today, the missing temperature control via voice command magically came back. Most importantly, I can still use the override navigation feature while driving. It is definitely a good news for this hybrid DVD experiment thsu far.

5 (update on 03/07/07) More than 2 months passed, my hybrid disc is still working flawlessly!

I hope this helps, especially for the 07 GS350 owners. (I have Nav without ML)

Last edited by memasterac; 03-07-07 at 04:41 PM. Reason: update info
Old 12-29-06, 05:46 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by memasterac
2. I inserted the hybrid DVD again, this time the navigation map did not disappear in 10 seconds. It actually stayed permanently. But I can’t perform the Menu > Volume > Left Upper Corner > Left Lower Corner > Left Upper Corner > Left Lower Corner to the override screen. I then disconnected the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes and reinstalled it, this time the navigation system reloaded and 30 seconds later, I got everything worked. I can now override my Navigation while driving. REMEMBER: You need to disconnect the battery!!!
You can also just pull the fuse to the nav display... It's marked "TV-1" under the driver's footwell in my IS350... Probably the same/similar in the GS...

FYI, if you pull the fuse, you won't lose phonebook, POI, etc... I don't know if you lost it by pulling the battery, but I know that by pulling the battery you affect many systems and probably reset the ECU as well... Not a bad thing, but for those of you who want to just reset the nav with a fuse, it's possible, at least on the IS it is...

Good Luck!
Old 12-30-06, 02:41 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

You can also just pull the fuse to the nav display... It's marked "TV-1" under the driver's footwell in my IS350... Probably the same/similar in the GS...

FYI, if you pull the fuse, you won't lose phonebook, POI, etc... I don't know if you lost it by pulling the battery, but I know that by pulling the battery you affect many systems and probably reset the ECU as well... Not a bad thing, but for those of you who want to just reset the nav with a fuse, it's possible, at least on the IS it is...

Good Luck!
I think pulling the fuse is a smart way of doing it. I was just lazy to locate it since the "-" battery terminal is so easy to find. BTW, the phone book and POI data are all there after I reconnect the battery. The only thing I reset was the clock because it was not set as auto update.
Old 01-04-07, 10:07 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SGT
They said there's one coming out soon for the 3GS.
BTW, I took a look at the videos on their site... The lockpick is not all I thought it was...

It does NOT get rid of the "I Agree" screen, it simply presses the button for you after a few seconds...

Second, it appears that for destination entry while in motion, the lockpick simply uses the software override method we know about in the V5.1 DVD... Check out this video (you need IE I believe):

http://www.coastaletech.com/BASIC_LOCKPICK.htm

You'll see that it just automatically switches to the volume screen and apparently does the upper left, lower left, upper left, lower left commands, then the override screen appears, the override button is selected, then the back button is selected... So it appears that the lockpick requires the override sequence...

So if they come out with one for the V6.1 DVD nav, then we'll know an override sequence exists!
Old 01-04-07, 01:25 PM
nyjklein
Driver School Candidate

It does NOT get rid of the "I Agree" screen, it simply presses the button for you after a few seconds...

Second, it appears that for destination entry while in motion, the lockpick simply uses the software override method we know about in the V5.1 DVD...
So I guess that explains the little note on their "Application Guide" page :

NOTE: UPGRADING YOUR CURRENT NAV DVD TO THE LATEST ONE OFFERED BY TOYOTA/LEXUS MAY DISABLE THE ABILITY TO INPUT ADDRESSES
Old 01-05-07, 08:45 PM
2007GS350
Driver School Candidate

I loaded the hybrid navigation DVD into my car and disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Connected the battery again and started up the car. I got a message that says:

"A program could not be found. Contact you dealer"

Thats the only message that shows up besides chinese characters. There's no way that I can eject the DVD because I cannot even get to the navigation menu. Is there anyway to remove the DVD manually or anyway of getting around this?
Old 01-05-07, 10:40 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2007GS350
I loaded the hybrid navigation DVD into my car and disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Connected the battery again and started up the car. I got a message that says:

"A program could not be found. Contact you dealer"

Thats the only message that shows up besides chinese characters. There's no way that I can eject the DVD because I cannot even get to the navigation menu. Is there anyway to remove the DVD manually or anyway of getting around this?
What you are seeing is TOTALLY normal...

Unplug your battery again, it will load... Sometimes it takes a few tries first... But, I'd recommend just removing the "TV-1" fuse instead of disconnecting the battery...

You can eject the DVD (on that "see your dealer") by doing the following:

Upper Right
Lower Right
Upper Right
Lower Right
Old 01-06-07, 10:36 AM
2007GS350
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Technique!

For those who have done this, how many times did you have to disconnect the battery/fuse for the firmware to load? I've done it 6 times already and still no luck. Still getting the same error message every time. I got my v5.1 LOADING.KWI file from a GS430 which I don't think should make a difference at all. I'm also using ONES Prassi and have the same setting as to how Sonartech shows it. Or is it the brand of DVD+R DL that I'm using, which is Verbatim. Maybe it takes more than 6 tries?
Old 01-06-07, 11:41 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Thanks Technique!

For those who have done this, how many times did you have to disconnect the battery/fuse for the firmware to load? I've done it 6 times already and still no luck. Still getting the same error message every time. I got my v5.1 LOADING.KWI file from a GS430 which I don't think should make a difference at all. I'm also using ONES Prassi and have the same setting as to how Sonartech shows it. Or is it the brand of DVD+R DL that I'm using, which is Verbatim. Maybe it takes more than 6 tries?
Hmmmm, most it ever took was 3 tries...

Did you set your drive to booktype = DVD-ROM? I think you must have otherwise you'd be getting a different error...

Try putting the original disc back in, then the hybrid disc...

Then again, do the fuse thing a few times...

We've all used verbatim so that should not be the problem...
Old 01-06-07, 02:04 PM
2007GS350
Driver School Candidate

Did you set your drive to booktype = DVD-ROM?
I'm sorry, what do you mean by that?
Old 01-06-07, 02:27 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

I'm sorry, what do you mean by that?
Bitsetting or booktype needs to be set to DVD-ROM. If you have dvd decrypter, imgburn, or nero, you can check if your drive is set properly and is burning media properly with booktype set to dvd-rom.

But, based on the error you are getting, your booktype is set correctly... If it was not, you'd get a different error...

Quick Reply: Tips, Tricks, DIY's, & How-To's