GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Which 19" wheels on my GS300 AWD ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-06, 04:24 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which 19" wheels on my GS300 AWD ?

I was thinking of buying these ADR Sterlings in either staggered or same size 19" for my AWD GS. Which would be best ?

What do you think of the wheels ? If you think I should get different wheels, what could I get for under $1100 a set ?

Last edited by Mixman; 05-07-06 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-07-06, 05:18 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

since you have AWD...stick with uniform 19" rims all around. If you want to get a set of 19" rims for 1.1k check axis since they have some cheap prices on rims. I am assuming that you mean $1,100 for the rims by itself, since tires will cost more....I am pretty sure there are other rims you can get...check the recycler for some used ones...u usually can get really good deals on higher priced rims...good luck!
Old 05-07-06, 06:37 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
since you have AWD...stick with uniform 19" rims all around. If you want to get a set of 19" rims for 1.1k check axis since they have some cheap prices on rims. I am assuming that you mean $1,100 for the rims by itself, since tires will cost more....I am pretty sure there are other rims you can get...check the recycler for some used ones...u usually can get really good deals on higher priced rims...good luck!

Yes, $1,100 for the rims by themselves. No staggered then ?
Old 05-07-06, 06:48 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, they're pretty nice looking wheels, they are a knockoff of Lowenhart BR5's and Maya DTS. Zenetti and Armano also make these knockoffs. They're not bad for the price, and they look good on a GS.
They are one piece cast wheels however. They will be heavier and not as sturdy as a 2-piece or 3-piece forged wheel, but your wallet will not afford these at $2 to $4K a set.

Best bet, before you buy these, is to contact D2-Autosport (Derrick) and see if he has anything comparable or better in that price range.

Jerry
Old 05-07-06, 10:02 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixman
Yes, $1,100 for the rims by themselves. No staggered then ?
no staggered...since ur car is awd...good luck man!
Old 05-08-06, 08:09 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of buying these ADR Sterlings in either staggered or same size 19" for my AWD GS. Which would be best ?

What do you think of the wheels ? If you think I should get different wheels, what could I get for under $1100 a set ?
IMO, since you bought a car that msrp's for approx. $52,000 I would recommend spending a little more money on some higher-end wheels. I mean you bought a quality luxury vehicle you minus well spend a little more on some nice wheels. Are ADR wheels on the same level as Axis Wheels? For the budget, I would get Axis Wheels.

Also, do you plan on using the OEM tire sensors on your new wheels or are you gonna roll without tire sensors? If you plan on rolling with the tire sensors on your new wheels I would get tire sensor friendly wheels which are mostly one piece cast or forged wheels. However, there are some multi-piece forged wheels that are tire sensor friendly. My iforged wheels were made to work with the tire sensors without using a strap.

Lastly, in Cali we don't get snow so I am running a staggered setup (it looks nice and aggressive). It is not recommended to run a staggered setup on the AWD but if you keep the rolling diameters exactly the same than it's all good. The down side with a staggered setup is you will increase your chances of understeer during extreme performance conditions and you can't rotate tires. However, becasue the AWD uses a 30/70 power distribution the front and rear tires may wear evenly.

Last edited by nardeezy; 05-08-06 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-08-06, 09:20 AM
Mixman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nardeezy
IMO, since you bought a car that msrp's for approx. $52,000 I would recommend spending a little more money on some higher-end wheels. I mean you bought a quality luxury vehicle you minus well spend a little more on some nice wheels. Are ADR wheels on the same level as Axis Wheels? For the budget, I would get Axis Wheels.

Also, do you plan on using the OEM tire sensors on your new wheels or are you gonna roll without tire sensors? If you plan on rolling with the tire sensors on your new wheels I would get tire sensor friendly wheels which are mostly one piece cast or forged wheels. However, there are some multi-piece forged wheels that are tire sensor friendly. My iforged wheels were made to work with the tire sensors without using a strap.

Lastly, in Cali we don't get snow so I am running a staggered setup (it looks nice and aggressive). It is not recommended to run a staggered setup on the AWD but if you keep the rolling diameters exactly the same than it's all good. The down side with a staggered setup is you will increase your chances of understeer during extreme performance conditions and you can't rotate tires. However, becasue the AWD uses a 30/70 power distribution the front and rear tires may wear evenly.

Well ...my main reason for my budget is that this is a leased vehicle that I probably will return and get the latest.....maybe even the hybrid. Another is that I am trying to buy a house and don't have much to spare now. I am trying to get good basic wheels that will look good and last.

I have been looking into the Privat Netz wheels seen here. I think I will just stick to 245/35/19 all around.
It's not worth that extra inch or so in larger rear rubber to risk messing my sensors up.
Old 05-08-06, 11:31 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Well ...my main reason for my budget is that this is a leased vehicle that I probably will return and get the latest.....maybe even the hybrid. Another is that I am trying to buy a house and don't have much to spare now. I am trying to get good basic wheels that will look good and last.

I have been looking into the Privat Netz wheels seen here. I think I will just stick to 245/35/19 all around.
It's not worth that extra inch or so in larger rear rubber to risk messing my sensors up.
The key is, get what makes you happy, those are nice wheels! By the way, how would you mess up the sensors with larger rubber in the rear?
Old 05-08-06, 11:57 AM
Mixman
Pole Position

The key is, get what makes you happy, those are nice wheels! By the way, how would you mess up the sensors with larger rubber in the rear?
I was talking about the car 's computer sensors, not the flat tire sensors. I want to be able to fool the car in such a way that the computers are not confused.

How is your staggered configuration been working ?
Old 05-08-06, 02:13 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

I was talking about the car 's computer sensors, not the flat tire sensors. I want to be able to fool the car in such a way that the computers are not confused.

How is your staggered configuration been working ?
My tire wheel application is good, just a little bit of rubbing up front when turning, nothing major. I'm confused "the car's computer sensors, not the flat sensors", what do you mean? The TPMS which consists of the 4 tire sensors, spare tire sensor and TPMS computer (which is probably linked to the ECU). How would you fool the car so that the computer is not confused? The only way I can think of that is if you program/disconnect the TPMS to ECU or store your OEM tire sensors in a pressurized canister at approx. 35 psi somewhere in the car.
Old 05-08-06, 02:15 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Basically, I was going to say what he said.

Spend that extra amount for something that is worth your Lexus.
Old 05-08-06, 02:33 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

I am thinking of also getting the MRR HR1 wheels. So thus far the wheels I am considering are : The MRR HR1 from D2, the Privat Netz and the ADR Sterlings. They may not be the most expensive, but I think especially the MRR and the Privat seem like quality wheels.

Last edited by Mixman; 05-08-06 at 02:53 PM.