GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

XM Reset to Preview Channel

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-06, 11:34 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XM Reset to Preview Channel

Does your factory installed XM radio occassionally return to the present channel (01)? A number of times when I start the car the radio is back to the preset channel. Any idea what causes this?
Old 04-07-06, 12:36 PM
MartinGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine never has done this. I would guess that it is either loosing power or maybe there isn't a signal where you are parking the car, so when you start up it defaults to preview channel.
Old 04-07-06, 01:52 PM
MartinGS
Driver School Candidate

I talked to a friend who has a Q45, he says his resets to channel 1 everytime he starts up.
Old 04-07-06, 03:07 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinGS
Mine never has done this. I would guess that it is either loosing power or maybe there isn't a signal where you are parking the car, so when you start up it defaults to preview channel.
Thanks MartinGS, I think you've found the problem. My radio only resets occasionally and when it does it's in the garage where there's no signal. And, I've left the radio on from the previous time I was driving it. Sure glad there's nothing wrong with it.
Old 04-07-06, 04:17 PM
gwmgwm
Driver School Candidate

Default Does the delay when you change channels bug you?

I find the delay when you change XM channels to be very annoying and uncharacteristic of Lexus attention to detail. Also the song title display only shows 9 characters...another instance of lame attention to detail. I am very disappointed in the audio system.

I have the standard audio system, but I can't imagine the ML system is any better.

Any comments?
Old 04-08-06, 02:35 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by gwmgwm
I find the delay when you change XM channels to be very annoying and uncharacteristic of Lexus attention to detail. Also the song title display only shows 9 characters...another instance of lame attention to detail. I am very disappointed in the audio system.

I have the standard audio system, but I can't imagine the ML system is any better.

Any comments?
The delay when switching channels is common on satellite radio and tv. Its not the fault of Lexus. Takes a second for the signal to beam up to the satellite and then back down to your vehicle/house. I'm amazed it only takes a second or 2. Kind of like the delay when you are talking on the phone to someone on the other side of the world.
Old 04-08-06, 05:38 PM
zipper
Driver School Candidate

I've got the ML system with xm added on. The radio sometimes resets to channel1 when I start the car. Also I get TAT 1 instead of SAT 1. I took it to my dealer and they switched out units three times for me but all units did this. They said it starts up on channel I left it on but sometimes it just jumped to the default. The unit they left in the car is even worse than the one I had. Sometimes I get no volumn unless I push a preset number. Will be taking this back. Also they said TAT is typical bug on these models.
Old 04-09-06, 07:20 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

I agree with MartinGS that your power lead to your XM might be loosing its connection. Reminds me of my portable XM unit I had in my 98GS. Leave it in the car and everything was fine. Take it out of the car and the next time you turned it on it would start at Channel 1.

I have never been taken to Channel 1 on my ML system nor have I seen the TAT "bug".
Old 04-17-06, 10:37 PM
zipper
Driver School Candidate

I just kinda stumbled on this fix for my xm going back to channel 01 after shutting off. I used my sterring wheel mode button to switch through all the frequencies eg. am, f,1, fm2. etc and then stopped on TAT 1 OR tat 2(sAT 1 OR 2) AND IT IS NOW FIXED. i RETRIED THIS TO FIND OUT IF WHAT i DID WAS RIGHT AND IT STARTED GOING BACK TO DEFAULT AGAID SO i WENT THROUGH THE CYCLE FROM THE STERRING WHEEL AGAIN AND IT IS OKAY AGAIN. Oops sorry for shouting just looked up lol. This is on my RX400h with ML