GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Just F'd up my NEW GS 300!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-06, 09:39 PM
Aprazer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just F'd up my NEW GS 300!!

I just got my brand new black GS 300 yesterday. I was just backing out of the garage to take my baby for a joy ride.....and BAM! I backed into my F-150 that was parked on the street.....where it never is parked.....but it is now.....thanks to the GS.

I have a big dent in the back of my bumper....right on the corner point. I am so pissed right now. Can they pop that back out...or do they need to replace the entire rear bumper? Anybody have an idea on the cost of that? This SUCKS!!

Thanks,
Brian
Old 04-02-06, 09:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If it's in a corner, rarely are you able to pop it back out. I guess it's time to get a new bumper.

Actually, please take a picture if you can. Maybe somewhere here can figure how severe it is.
Old 04-02-06, 11:15 PM
PoppFlyy
Pole Position

Good luck with that Aprazer...

Old 04-03-06, 06:33 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That really sucks. Got any pics of the damage?
Old 04-03-06, 06:54 AM
Aprazer
Driver School Candidate

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. I am just pissed about this.
Old 04-03-06, 07:01 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I did that once with my GS. My wife had parked our 4Runner right outside the garage to shorten a run through the rain, and because I never really had to look behind me pulling out of the garage, I just backed right into it. Made me sick to my stomach! And worse, even though I felt mad at her for parking there initially, the only person at fault was me for being stupid enough not to look! Ugh...
Old 04-03-06, 07:45 AM
Scott in H
Driver School Candidate

Take solice in one thing. If the damage is only the bumper, it can't be detected as damaged when selling the car later as long as you have a real pro fix it.

Paint meters won't work on anything that isn't metal, so the bumpers don't read on paint meters. If you have to repaint any body panel, that's a different story.

I would leave it up to you if you want to file it on insurance because if you do it right and pay yourself, you'll have a clean carfax (which is a joke anyway) and a clean car.
Old 04-03-06, 08:11 AM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel for you, my wife backed our 06 GS into our 00 GS.She just pulled the 00 in the drive and put the for sale sign in.I was out of town and didn't know the extent of damage to both vehicles.It turned out to be very minor,I could buff the damage out and it looks good as new.
Old 04-03-06, 09:20 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear. You should be able to pop it back out. Go under the car and take a look to see if you can easily do that. After that take a look to see if the damage left scratches.

I accidently dented my Dads Camry a while back. I went under the car and pushed it back out easily before he noticed. Good as new.
Old 04-03-06, 11:16 AM
Aprazer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep you posted on what it costs me to fix.
Old 04-03-06, 12:22 PM
yell01
Driver School Candidate

I know how you feel. Back in 98 I bought a Grand Prix GTP. 12 hours later I was parallel parking in Chicago and backed into a parked car.
Old 04-03-06, 05:30 PM
Aprazer
Driver School Candidate

What really sucks is that it is parked in my garage, because I am embarassed to drive it with an F'd up rear bumper. It has the dealership license plates on it......I haven't told any family or friends yet because I know I will catch hell. I am going to sneak it into the bodyshop to have it fixed before anybody knows! It's killing me because I want to be out driving it around.
Old 04-03-06, 05:55 PM
drck1000
Driver

Sorry to hear that. I hope that you get verything corrected 100%. When I first picked up my new GS300, I felt very car-conscious with the dealer plates till on. Something about it making your car stand out as brand new and possibly getting unwanted attention from those looking to spoil things. I also totalled my previous car, rolled over three times, so I wasn't fully comfortable driving again. All of those negatives probably took away from what's supposed to be a very positive experience. Hope it works out for you.

On a side note, about 4 days after taking delivery, I gouged the vinyl panel that covers were the seatbelt is on the B-Pillar. I park next to a divider in a carport and can't swing the door open all the way and kind of have to sqeeze in. As I was sitting down, I felt the seat of my pants catch and felt a pop. The plastic button on my shorts got caught and popped the button stiching. I am not sure what exactly left it, if it was the button or something else, but I took a nice gouge out of the vinyl trim panel. Not even a week old and I damaged my own car! I know it was minor and I ended up replacing the panel, but it was the anger at myself for not being careful and causing that damage. It's another thing if someone else causes the damage as if you cause it, you only have yourself to beat up about it.

Try to be positive and enjoy your new car! I've had my share of problems so far with rattles and needing to replace the front rotor, but I still go enjoy my new GS. Best of luck taking care of this!
Old 04-04-06, 11:25 AM
TedxGS
Pole Position

that sucks dude
Old 04-04-06, 01:54 PM
SanseiGS43
Driver

Hmm... this happend once to my girlfriends car. We were actually able to pop the dent out using a hair dryer. We heated up the one spot till it was hot to the touch and pushed it out from the back. Came out perfect. I n some cases i have heard that the heat alone would suck the dent out. Well i guess it would be worth a try before you spend some big bucks repairing somewhere...

Quick Reply: Just F'd up my NEW GS 300!!