GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Are you happy with your purchase with the GS300?
Yes, I would do it again in a heartbeat
55.00%
Yes, but I would rather have waited for the GS350
31.00%
No, I regret my purchase
14.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

To all 2006 GS300 owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 06:29 AM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up Gs 300

I have very few complaints about the GS. I small raddle near the drivers seatbelt hook on the "B" pillar, a rubbing noise from the steering column. A little flat spot as you start out (does anyone else have this?). The MPG is very very good , over 32 on the road. We are really happy with the ride.............

PM or E Mail me if you'd like . I have a pretty good connect with a So. Cal. Lexus Dealer.

Steve
GrdnRxR@aol.com
Old 03-22-06, 07:13 AM
jwa
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=GrdnRxR A little flat spot as you start out (does anyone else have this?). The MPG is very very good , over 32 on the road. We are really happy with the ride.............
[/QUOTE]

I think the flat spot you're refering to is the delay of the electronic throttle. This is fairly common on cars with electronic throttles and I believe it's intended to increase fuel efficency.

The only way I've found to get over 30mpg is to do all highway miles with the cruise control set at 65mph. Any city miles, and the mpg quickly drops into the low 20's.
Old 03-22-06, 10:59 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveJ
My biggest complaint: I wish it had an interior dome light in addition to the LED pinpoint lights, which are very cool. I also wish the car didn't have the hard riding Dunlop runflats, but those will wear out. Not much to complain about!
+1 to sucky lighting in trunk and interior... can't see *****, But I got the yokohama's and they're not too bad... going to put new wheels and tires (Toyos) on anytways though... I've had almost every tire out there and love the Toyos and Michelins.

I just picked mine up and don't regret it at all... Came from a BMW 5-er (E39 chassis). I love the car and it might not be as roomy as the Bimmer, but the cars drives almost like one (compared to the 2GS) and all the bells and whistles make up for it.

I leased mine so I figured why wait for a GS350, but if I were to purchase, I'd wait....
Old 03-22-06, 12:58 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tmr mc
I'm looking to buy a 2006 GS300 and wanted to know how all the recent buyers for 2006 GS3 owners felt about their car. I have read issues about rattling noise issues, transmission/engine problems, etc... but wanted to know if these concerns are only to an unlucky few or reflective of the all the 2006 GS300 buyers?

Are you guys overall happy with the purchase of your cars? Any regrets?

I'm debating whether or not to get the 2006 GS300 or wait for the GS350 to come out but the fact that I could get a good deal from dealers on the GS300 is one motivating factor. Would appreciate your inputs...

FYI I'm looking to get a fully loaded blue onyx GS300 with black interior
My experience has probably been out of the norm with Lexus but none the less, here are some things to consider.

This is my second 2006 GS 300. They couldn't fix the cracking and popping issues with the dash. Read the board here, lots of issues with that. The second GS I got, the transmissions had to be replaced after 500 miles. OK so I guess that could happen to anyone. Every car manufacturer has issues from time to time.

As for the overall experience and areas I think could be improved on:

The dash creaking and popping issue, is a real problem. I drove many GS's on the lot and from different dealers. They all experience this problem. It's worse in the colder weather but it happens even when its warm. I would hope this is corrected with the 350.

The ML system or even the stock system does not allow MP3 formatted CDs and they don't proved an auxiliary audio jack either. OK, who doesn't have an iPod today wanting to plug it into their car?
Also, you can't have separate discrete EQ settings for each audio source. Meaning you can't have separate settings for Satellite, FM, CD or DVD.

The satellite radio option is quite basic, allowing only 10 characters to be shown for artist or song. Also no shark fin... just a plain antenna that has to be placed on the vehicle like an after market solution.

The Gen 4 Navigation and Bluetooth solution does not allow for voice dialing or voice destination input like Acura boasts. This will be rectified in the Gen 5 system hopefully coming on the 350.

Whoever thought the GS didn't need a real dome light, needs to rethink this. Crazy.

Now, I would bet most of these issues will be resolved on the 350, so if these issues don't bother you, its a great car. Fit and finish is best I've seen, the car is a real beauty, and always fun to drive.

I love the car, but I think the first model year shows a few rough edges.
Old 03-22-06, 01:12 PM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

Fair & Honest Post.
Old 03-23-06, 02:32 AM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had no problems with my GS300, the 245hp is more than adequate for me!
Old 03-23-06, 01:19 PM
tmr mc
Driver School Candidate

What type of mileage are you getting on your GS300? is it true that you can get over 30 mpg on highway? If so, isn't that even better than what is quoted for the GS hybrid?

Another question I had was is it possible to replace the current nav screen and cd with the gen 5 nav and mp3 cd player once the GS350 comes out?

I would love to combine the gas efficiency of the GS300 with the Nav + MP3 of the GS350, if that's at all possible.
Old 03-23-06, 01:27 PM
yon
Driver

What type of mileage are you getting on your GS300? is it true that you can get over 30 mpg on highway? If so, isn't that even better than what is quoted for the GS hybrid?

Another question I had was is it possible to replace the current nav screen and cd with the gen 5 nav and mp3 cd player once the GS350 comes out?

I would love to combine the gas efficiency of the GS300 with the Nav + MP3 of the GS350, if that's at all possible.
On highway only, I've seen upwards of 26-27 mpg on my AWD. But day-to-day driving (50/50 mix) I see more like 23mpg, less if I'm driving aggressively.

Seems like it would be possible to swap out the electronics. The only question would be whether it's worth the money and hassle. Won't know until someone sees what the wiring harnesses look like.
Old 03-23-06, 01:29 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends. On weekends, when I drive solely on highways/downhill mountains, my mileage can go up as high as 32mpg. On weekdays, I usually get around 20.5mpg driving on local roads with traffic lights.

No, it's not possible to swap the gen 4 nav with the gen 5 nav unless you want to pay an exorbitant amount of money.
Old 03-23-06, 01:38 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default mileage

Driving between The Phoenix area and So Cal. I've been getting around 32 MPG. Driving speeds of 70-75, tires are at about 35 psi.. I get about 22 in town...

Steve
Old 03-24-06, 05:30 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scottmyers
My experience has probably been out of the norm with Lexus but none the less, here are some things to consider.

This is my second 2006 GS 300. They couldn't fix the cracking and popping issues with the dash. Read the board here, lots of issues with that. The second GS I got, the transmissions had to be replaced after 500 miles. OK so I guess that could happen to anyone. Every car manufacturer has issues from time to time.

As for the overall experience and areas I think could be improved on:

The dash creaking and popping issue, is a real problem. I drove many GS's on the lot and from different dealers. They all experience this problem. It's worse in the colder weather but it happens even when its warm. I would hope this is corrected with the 350.

The ML system or even the stock system does not allow MP3 formatted CDs and they don't proved an auxiliary audio jack either. OK, who doesn't have an iPod today wanting to plug it into their car?
Also, you can't have separate discrete EQ settings for each audio source. Meaning you can't have separate settings for Satellite, FM, CD or DVD.

The satellite radio option is quite basic, allowing only 10 characters to be shown for artist or song. Also no shark fin... just a plain antenna that has to be placed on the vehicle like an after market solution.

The Gen 4 Navigation and Bluetooth solution does not allow for voice dialing or voice destination input like Acura boasts. This will be rectified in the Gen 5 system hopefully coming on the 350.

Whoever thought the GS didn't need a real dome light, needs to rethink this. Crazy.

Now, I would bet most of these issues will be resolved on the 350, so if these issues don't bother you, its a great car. Fit and finish is best I've seen, the car is a real beauty, and always fun to drive.

I love the car, but I think the first model year shows a few rough edges.

Good/fair post....I am very surprised to see that you had so many issues with the car...VERY UNLEXUS like Hope u have better luck in the future

And i do agree with the trunk opening....its a bitc% to put and take out a stroller
Old 04-03-06, 07:59 PM
Lexus Love
Driver School Candidate

Default Great Car -- Seats could be improved

The 2006 GS is a great car -- many thoughtful touches and generally very intelligent design. Have had no problems to speak of, other than dropped signals on the satellite radio, which has been fixed. The seats, however, are the worst thing about the car. Scaled a little small and rather uncomfortable.

Have seen about 33 mpg on all freeway, which is amazine for such a luxe machine!
Old 04-23-06, 11:32 AM
GFC350
Rookie

Ive had mine GS300 for 3 days now. I love the car! As far as power goes, its enough for me. Coming from a Nissan 350z, I still feel power wise, its quick enough but yet you have a very nice ride. The Navi/ML sound system is awsome. Dont buy one without it. Bluetooth works ok for me even with the Sprint Samsung A900 aka Blade which is notorious with being really picky with Bluetooth devices. The only thing I wish it had is the 5th Gen NAV with Bluetooth version 2 along with MP3 cdr playback. This will be available in the GS350 and its in the current IS250/350's now.
Old 04-24-06, 05:08 PM
drsud
Driver School Candidate

Default Think Twice

I would definetly think twice about buy the 2006 GS my car has been in the shop endless amount of times. for engine oil leaks I am currently trying to get lexus to buy back this vehicle or swap it out but its not easy.. so I would wait till 2007 let them fix all the problems.
Dr. Sud
Old 04-29-06, 12:57 AM
GeorgePaul
Driver School Candidate

Aside from a few ergonomic quirks, I am extremely happy with my purchase. I have had no mechanical problems at all, no rattles, no funky smells. The car (GS300 AWD) runs and handles great and I get good gas mileage.

Quick Reply: To all 2006 GS300 owners