GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Adding TV & DVD to Navigation Screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-06, 09:13 AM
03LX470
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkim1120
nono...
the ML system comes equipt w/ the dvd player, BUT it is set up to where you can ONLY watch the dvd while it is in park.
if the car is put into drive the DVD will cut off and go to the navigation screen.
to make it simple just buy a lexus with the ML navigation take it to your local audio installation shop and ask them to do a by-pass on the navigation/dvd player and they will know exactly what you are talking about.
i started the engine & loaded a dvd in the front-load changer. the dvd did not play (the gear was in P and the parking brake was engaged). My car has the mark levinsion.

what am i doing wrong here? any tips?

thanks
Old 03-19-06, 10:47 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW... you do not have to be in park. The car be in drive, but you must be going less than 2-3 miles an hour with the emergency brake engaged. So if you come to a stop at a red light you can quickly engage the brake and see the DVD video.

Basically useless.
Old 03-19-06, 12:37 PM
03LX470
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scottmyers
BTW... you do not have to be in park. The car be in drive, but you must be going less than 2-3 miles an hour with the emergency brake engaged. So if you come to a stop at a red light you can quickly engage the brake and see the DVD video.

Basically useless.
My point is...even in P & with parking brake engaged my nav doesnt play DVD movie....so playing DVD movie while in motion is out of the question....Basically, the thing simply does not "read" the dvd movie....so i was wondering if i am doing something wrong or not doing the necessary?
Old 03-19-06, 10:56 PM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 03LX470
My point is...even in P & with parking brake engaged my nav doesnt play DVD movie....so playing DVD movie while in motion is out of the question....Basically, the thing simply does not "read" the dvd movie....so i was wondering if i am doing something wrong or not doing the necessary?

If it doesn't read the DVD when you put it in the 6 disk changer then something is wrong if you have the ML system and NAV. When the system trys to read a DVD for the first time a warning message pops up on the screen with a OK button. I have to hit the OK button everytime I restart my car. If you are not seeing the message I am talking about then either you dont have the equiptment to run DVDs or you have a serious problem. Is there a message that displays on your NAV screen when you load a DVD?
Old 03-19-06, 11:06 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

i agree w/ Raptor. if you are sure you have Levinson and the DVD won't play, then there is something wrong with your system. by the way, i noticed earlier you wrote "6-cd changer". i hope what you meant to say is 6-dvd changer. if you have ML, the screen should say DVD Changer in the upper left corner. (are you 100% positive your GS is equipped w/ ML? - does it say Mark Levinson on the unit?)
Old 03-20-06, 01:21 AM
03LX470
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i agree w/ Raptor. if you are sure you have Levinson and the DVD won't play, then there is something wrong with your system. by the way, i noticed earlier you wrote "6-cd changer". i hope what you meant to say is 6-dvd changer. if you have ML, the screen should say DVD Changer in the upper left corner. (are you 100% positive your GS is equipped w/ ML? - does it say Mark Levinson on the unit?)
I have Mark Levinson (it says that). But i think Ive figured out the problem. The changer is actually a 6-cd changer & not a 6-dvd changer. I am located outside the US & it appears that my monopolist "stealer" is trying not to import these apparently "hidden" options & increase their margins. Similarly, my navigation is DVD based (there is a DVD drive in the glove box) but it is not voice-activated (there is no command button on the steering).

Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like Im living in the wrong part of the world where some options are just not available even if you are willing to pay more for it.

Thanks

Guys, compare your full option US spec GS430 to my full option GS430. On the surface, it seems they are the same but mine obviously doesnt have the two functions mentioned above.

www.lexusuae.com
Old 03-20-06, 07:48 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Wiring Harness... Newbie

Hi guys... I'm a newbie and thinking of becoming a vendor so PLEASE DO NOT think i'm spamming. I just picked up my 06 Glacier Frost/Black 3GS300 w/ Navi, but no ML... anyone ever attempted an external DVD player? Didn't know the ML supported DVD playback when I bought the car... damn... I couldn't justify the 4K difference for the "upgraded sound", but i guess there's more to it than that... Thanks...

Oh... second note, anyone know anything about maybe rewiring the Navi system so that I can input adresses while driving? Friggin' annoying....

Thanks again guys!
Old 03-20-06, 10:54 PM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
Oh... second note, anyone know anything about maybe rewiring the Navi system so that I can input adresses while driving? Friggin' annoying....
You don't have to rewire, just do a few steps on the screen to override nav input while driving.

Menu button
Volume
Top left
Bottom left
Top left
Bottom left
Press and hold Override until it beeps

Then back out to the main menu and everything should be available for input.
This has to be done everytime the car starts since it resets itself but at least it is available if and when you need it.
Old 03-21-06, 09:21 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Raptor.1
You don't have to rewire, just do a few steps on the screen to override nav input while driving.

Menu button
Volume
Top left
Bottom left
Top left
Bottom left
Press and hold Override until it beeps

Then back out to the main menu and everything should be available for input.
This has to be done everytime the car starts since it resets itself but at least it is available if and when you need it.
Thanks raptor... worked like a charm, but now I can't dial phone numbers when i'm driving too! WTF! so much tech.... so confusing.... ***sigh***
Old 03-21-06, 10:45 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Thanks raptor... worked like a charm, but now I can't dial phone numbers when i'm driving too! WTF! so much tech.... so confusing.... ***sigh***
take a look at Pg 3 in this thread for info on a dvd/BT hack: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155488
Old 04-11-06, 12:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Hi guys... I'm a newbie and thinking of becoming a vendor so PLEASE DO NOT think i'm spamming. I just picked up my 06 Glacier Frost/Black 3GS300 w/ Navi, but no ML... anyone ever attempted an external DVD player? Didn't know the ML supported DVD playback when I bought the car... damn... I couldn't justify the 4K difference for the "upgraded sound", but i guess there's more to it than that... Thanks...

Thanks again guys!
Please check your PM regarding advertising in your signature. That big wonking advertisement IS SPAMMING and against the forum rules you agreed to when you joined ClubLexus

You are welcome to participate as a Lexus owner but until you are an approved vendor, please do not solicit or promote in the forums, via PM, in classifieds, etc.

Thank you and welcome

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-11-06 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-06-06, 11:54 AM
Cresta
Driver School Candidate

Anyone has any updates to adding DVD viewing to navigation screen without Mark Levinson?
Old 06-06-06, 12:05 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cresta
Anyone has any updates to adding DVD viewing to navigation screen without Mark Levinson?
Nav TV unit w/ aftermarket DVD Player....

I have a brand new unit and w/ DVD player for 350 if interested? PM me....
Old 06-08-06, 09:22 AM
Budd28
Rookie

Ok if you are wiliing go wait until Monday evening or Tuesday... I ordered a part from navtv.com to allow for a second video source to my gs300 nav non M/L. The part is here and is getting installed monday afternoon. I can at least give you my feedback on this part.

From what I understand all those companies you listed but navtv.. you will have to use fm modulated sound for the audio with your dvd player (please correct me if i'm wrong), but the part I ordered from them wires in directly for audio and is quite a bit more expensive. So I guess you will have to also ask yourself if you would rather tune to the radio for sound or not, and I don't have experience with these so i dont know the sound quality through fm. Also this unit is not plug and play and will require someone with know how to install.

I already have the part so I guess I'd feel dumb is someone told me now that there is a better method than this to get best sound. O well.
Old 06-09-06, 02:06 AM
Cresta
Driver School Candidate

Budd28,
Please definitely let me know how that turn out.

Quick Reply: Adding TV & DVD to Navigation Screen