GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Which Color? Flint MIca vs. Silver
Flint Mica
67.35%
Silver
32.65%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Flint Mica vs. Silver...which one??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 01:54 PM
sshu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flint Mica vs. Silver...which one??

I'm on the fence on which color to get. It would be with the grey interior.

Flint Mica:
More unique color. It looks nice under the sunlight. Nice contrast between the light grey interior. Not totally sold on the color but it is slowly growing on me.

Silver:
Very classy looking. The majority of 430's I've seen are silver/grey. Not much contrast between grey interior but tint would help with this.
Old 03-09-06, 02:07 PM
drck1000
Driver

Those were my two "finalist" choices. When I was looking at the !S350, I was looking at the similar two colors. The smoky mica and the pearl.

The flint mica seemed very sporty and had an aggressive look to it. The darker flint seemed to look more sleek to me than the silver. The silver seemed more refined to me. I got to see two of them side by side. Both were really nice. Wish I could afford both!

I ended up choosing the silver (Metallic Mercury) with ash interior. I initially wanted black interior for the contrast, but that would have been a special order and they had the silver/ash in stock. As it turns out, I really like the ash interior as the dash and the panels above the arm rest are black and provide a nice contrast that I was looking for. I do like the black maple as well. Besides, I live in Hawaii and black seats would have been pretty hot and I didn't quite like the color of the maple trim. Sort of orange looking.

I think I ended up with silver because of the ease of keeping it looking clean. My last car was silver and it could be really dirty and you could only tell if you were very close or some dirt on a section was wiped away. I thought that the flint would be as difficult to keep clean looking as black. But still a very nice color. Just too high maintenance for me.

Good luck with your decision whichever way you choose to go!
Old 03-09-06, 02:08 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Post pics of both colors

Jonny
Old 03-09-06, 02:34 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May sound like a cop-out answer, but both colors are great.

I narrowed my choices to fint mica or black. My previous GS was silver, so I opted against getting the same color again. I think the flint mica is real eye catcher. However, it'll be a pain to keep clean. The darker color will also be more prone to show swirl marks and other imperfections.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably pick silver. Love having a dark color car, hate the time and effort it takes to maintain a nice finish. Silver is the "safe" choice, but it looks real nice and doesn't reqiure much maintanence to keep clean. However, if you don't mind putting forth the effort, flint mica is a great option.

And are you totally sold on the grey interior? Black will go great with the silver or filt mica exterior. In any event, good luck with your decision.
Old 03-09-06, 02:42 PM
sshu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
May sound like a cop-out answer, but both colors are great.

I narrowed my choices to fint mica or black. My previous GS was silver, so I opted against getting the same color again. I think the flint mica is real eye catcher. However, it'll be a pain to keep clean. The darker color will also be more prone to show swirl marks and other imperfections.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably pick silver. Love having a dark color car, hate the time and effort it takes to maintain a nice finish. Silver is the "safe" choice, but it looks real nice and doesn't reqiure much maintanence to keep clean. However, if you don't mind putting forth the effort, flint mica is a great option.

And are you totally sold on the grey interior? Black will go great with the silver or filt mica exterior. In any event, good luck with your decision.
Yeah I think I'm sold on the grey interior. I orginally thought of black but when I sat in a black int. car the whole interior was black with no contrast plus the wood was too red looking for me. The grey has a nice contrast of black in the interior. Thanks for the input though.
Old 03-09-06, 06:59 PM
LexFather

Old 03-09-06, 07:07 PM
LexFather

Old 03-09-06, 08:07 PM
rjjr
Driver School Candidate

I decided on Flint Mica over silver. I'm happy with my decision.

Went with the grey interior and the dark wood trim. Love it. The red just seemed too red.

Silver is a safe color and looks sporty. With the Lexus I just thought something more distinctive was in line.

Either one is bueatiful.
Attached Thumbnails Flint Mica vs. Silver...which one??-4037-small.jpg  

Last edited by rjjr; 03-09-06 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-09-06, 11:23 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think flint mica would be better...I have had silver for 2 bmw's & 1 2GS and i think a different color would be better. Although from hearing reports that the first GS450h shippments will only have 3 colors...i may not get the color i want...although i did tell the dealer when i placed my order that i wanted flint mica i dunno if i will get it...
Old 03-10-06, 02:15 PM
longjohn
Rookie

Default Flint Mica if you have the time to keep it clean

I went with Flint Mica and am happy with the choice. It does require a commitment to keeping it clean, however. Here in Northern Ca. it pretty much only rains between Nov. and Apr., so on those rainy days I just take our 3rd car when I head out. In the summer, you just have to go over it with some instant detailer every few days and it looks amazing.

The Mercury Metallic is nice, but is only eye-catching to me when it has a real wet, glossy look to it. Flint Mica and Black always look hot to me unless they're dirty.

As for the interior, my first take on the Ash was , but that was on a cloudy day. My second take, on a sunny day, was . I probably would have chosen black, but the wood was way too red for me as well.
Old 03-10-06, 09:30 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Mercury Metallic is a great color for showing off the sleek lines of the 3GS.
Old 03-11-06, 06:41 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Flint by a longshot

Old 03-13-06, 07:36 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Flint Mica....that is a very good looking color.
Old 03-13-06, 09:25 AM
bloozeman
Driver School Candidate

That's a "no brainer" especially considering I have a 06 GS430 in Flint Mica. My final two color choices were either the Flint Mica or Matador Red Mica. However, my dealer was only able to get their hands on a Flint Mica without a long waiting period so they in essence made the decsion between the two easy. They of course had a number of Mercury Metallics on the lot because that apparently is the number one seller.

P.S. What ever color you choose just don't let your 80 year old mother scratch the crap out of the hood on a 2 week old car like mine did last Thursday. I am not looking at hopefully $500 or so at the detailer to get it fixed or may even need to get it repainted. Most of it all appears to be in the clearcoat but I won't know for sure until my detailer takes a look and gives me his assessment.
Old 03-15-06, 04:24 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm a sucker for Fint Mica

Quick Reply: Flint Mica vs. Silver...which one??