GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

leaving lexus

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 06:39 PM
soflGSguy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tomorrow is the big day when I go talk to the factory rep about my car. Sad to say the seatbelt they replaced for the 2end time locked up 2 times this week, I will let the rep know about it, also dos anyone have a taping noise coming from the back of there car? When I cam driving with the radio off sounds like something is tapping on my ruff in the back I am going to tell the rep that also but just wondering if anyone has the same problem.

Wish me luck tomorrow
Old 02-22-06, 09:23 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I'm curious what the A6/M45 did not have that you do have on your GS. I found the M45 to have the most features of any car out there for the money. The A6 was incredible as well.

You have a bad car (this is news to you I bet - j/k). The comments about BMWs are a overblown on this board. However, you do have a higher chance of getting a bad BMW vs. a bad Lexus. I had the misfortune to have a bunch of issues with my GS430 back in 2003. Took them over a year to get them fixed. I believe that Lexus dealers do not know how to fix cars. Possibly the same thing with Volvos. I say this because everyone I know who has chronic issues with either Lexus or Volvo always reports back that the dealer NEVER fixes the car. I finally had to tell them to keep my car until it was fixed. Took over a month.

I should mention that the 530 is one hell of a drive and there are some incredible deals out there on the remaining 06s (07s start production next month). The interior does not compare to the GS, but the driving experience.... oh man.

Anyway, keep us updated.
Old 02-23-06, 11:46 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
I believe that Lexus dealers do not know how to fix cars. Possibly the same thing with Volvos. I say this because everyone I know who has chronic issues with either Lexus or Volvo always reports back that the dealer NEVER fixes the car.
I know from your past posts you're pretty lukewarm towards Lexus and very pro-BMW, but your statement is a terribly overbroad generalization
Old 02-23-06, 06:23 PM
ocangelfan
Driver School Candidate

I'm curious what the A6/M45 did not have that you do have on your GS. I found the M45 to have the most features of any car out there for the money. The A6 was incredible as well.
A friend at work just turned in his A6 under California lemon law. A beautiful car, yes, but man, what a piece of trash. He traded in for a GS430, and is really happy. I don't think I know a single Mercedes owner whose second car is the dealer's loaner.

Every manufacturer is going to produce a bad car once in a while. But if you are concerned about getting a quality car, you need to look at the overall experience that manufacturer provides. Lexus produces the most consistent quality casr, period.

As far as your dealership experience, they aren't all the same. Maybe you would have better experience with another dealership. Check into them, look for one with an "Elite of Lexus" designation.
Old 02-23-06, 10:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ocangelfan
A friend at work just turned in his A6 under California lemon law. A beautiful car, yes, but man, what a piece of trash. He traded in for a GS430, and is really happy. I don't think I know a single Mercedes owner whose second car is the dealer's loaner.

Every manufacturer is going to produce a bad car once in a while. But if you are concerned about getting a quality car, you need to look at the overall experience that manufacturer provides. Lexus produces the most consistent quality casr, period.

As far as your dealership experience, they aren't all the same. Maybe you would have better experience with another dealership. Check into them, look for one with an "Elite of Lexus" designation.
I agree, there will be a bad Lexus or two. Thing is, with Lexus, you have the least chance by far to get a bad car.

#1 AGAIN

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...74#post1743174
Old 02-24-06, 06:02 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
I know from your past posts you're pretty lukewarm towards Lexus and very pro-BMW, but your statement is a terribly overbroad generalization
Really? Why don't you go check out the 3rd Gen GS forum? Take a look at people there that have issues with their GS and how many trips to the dealer it is taking to get them fixed.
Old 02-24-06, 06:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I agree with you INHOCJP, it's inappropiate to make overbroad statements based on forums. Posters in this forum consist of a very small % of the owners of the car & a very unreliable representation of the real world. Plus people tend to post their problems to seek help & opinions, but the vast majority with no problems stay silent & never heard from.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-24-06 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-24-06, 09:52 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
...it's inappropiate to make overbroad statements based on forums. Posters in this forum consist of a very small % of the owners of the car & a very unreliable representation of the real world. Plus people tend to post their problems to seek help & opinions, but the vast majority with no problems stay silent & never heard from.
Exactly. I could start a new thread everyday that my GS is running fine, but what would be the point?

I'm not going to say my current GS is perfect, but the biggest problem I've had is a rattle. And please remember, the 3rd gen GS is in the first year as a new model. Any first year car, even a Lexus, will likely experience minor problems. It's always a slight gamble getting the latest and greatest.
Old 02-24-06, 11:57 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Guys
My post is below again if you want to re-read it. I clearly state
"comments about BMWs are overblown on this board"

and

"I believe that Lexus dealers do not know how to fix cars"

Notice the "I believe part" - this is based on my experience as well as other comments written on this board. I did not state it as a fact.

Maybe you can help me understand why you believe my statements are overbroad. Actually, it might help if the two of you told me what the word overbroad actually means!

You have a bad car (this is news to you I bet - j/k). The comments about BMWs are a overblown on this board. However, you do have a higher chance of getting a bad BMW vs. a bad Lexus. I had the misfortune to have a bunch of issues with my GS430 back in 2003. Took them over a year to get them fixed. I believe that Lexus dealers do not know how to fix cars. Possibly the same thing with Volvos. I say this because everyone I know who has chronic issues with either Lexus or Volvo always reports back that the dealer NEVER fixes the car. I finally had to tell them to keep my car until it was fixed. Took over a month.
Old 02-24-06, 12:54 PM
ocangelfan
Driver School Candidate

Maybe you can help me understand why you believe my statements are overbroad. Actually, it might help if the two of you told me what the word overbroad actually means!
This may help (from Dictionary.com):

Main Entry: over·broad
Pronunciation: "O-v&r-'brod
Function: adjective
: not sufficiently restricted to a specific subject or purpose <an overbroad search>; especially : characterized by a prohibition or chilling effect on constitutionally protected conduct <an overbroad statute> —compare VAGUE

Source: Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Old 02-25-06, 04:43 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ocangelfan
This may help (from Dictionary.com):

Main Entry: over·broad
Pronunciation: "O-v&r-'brod
Function: adjective
: not sufficiently restricted to a specific subject or purpose <an overbroad search>; especially : characterized by a prohibition or chilling effect on constitutionally protected conduct <an overbroad statute> —compare VAGUE

Source: Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Exactly - it is not a word except in the law world. Check Websters and tell me if you can find a definition.
Old 02-25-06, 06:41 AM
SamIam
Driver School Candidate

Default You think you've got problems

I just came from Audi, an A8 to be exact. Great driving car, but constant issues. If you want to see pain, go check out Audiworld forums.

I don't see many people complaining about Transmissions dying at 50K miles, or electical shorts long before that. I was looking at a a 7 series BMW, but my mechanic told me that they had bigger issues than my A8. Father in law returned his X5 4.4 under the state lemon law, and had a 7 series for a month. Systems were constantly rebooting in the 7 series to the point he went back to Lexus cause he didn't like the hassle.

On my A8, at 52K miles, the transmission burned up. Audi's response: Sorry, warranty says 50K miles. You're on your own.

As compared to my buddy whose 2nd hand ES300 with 120K miles had an engine burn up due to a bad seal, and Lexus relaced it for free, and gave him a new car to drive for 6 weeks while waiting for his. Additionally, as a health care sales rep, he put 6 to 8K miles on it. All they said was, "I hope you were productive".

Just remember, the grass is not always greener, and your odds are better here than with a Euro car.
Old 02-26-06, 12:36 PM
soflGSguy
Rookie

I talked to the rep Thursday and he told me they redesigned the seatbelt system in the 2006 GS a month after I got the car and they are looking into if there is a fix it for it because this is the 4th seat belt my driver’s seat will have. They gave me an RX330 loner till they fix it. So we will see what happens next. If they give me my car back I will be getting a lawyer, because my car has had soo much parts replaced in it it’s a joke, but looks like they will replace my car with a new one at this point keeping fingers crossed.
Old 02-27-06, 12:16 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by soflGSguy
I talked to the rep Thursday and he told me they redesigned the seatbelt system in the 2006 GS a month after I got the car and they are looking into if there is a fix it for it because this is the 4th seat belt my driver’s seat will have.
A redesigned seatbelt system? I asked my friend who is a Lexus master tech and he had not heard of this. What exactly did they redesign?
Old 02-28-06, 07:30 PM
soflGSguy
Rookie

The factory rep said that some problems here and there with the seatbelt and that Lexus has redesigned the 2006 GS front seatbelt as of July 2005 I got my got in June 05, he didn’t go into detail what they redid just that it is a manger change of how they work he said u cant tell but looking at them. But they ware change. They head shop guy at the Lexus I go to, didn’t not know of that problem or that change to seatbelt. Lexus never recalled. It only a hand full of cars that have the problem he said like 3 or 4 in his area. Its only a problem putting them on. That was my understanding. And I still have a loaner from Lexus and no word about my car, looking more and more like they will replace it with a new car been in the shop 30 or more days from the date I got it.

Quick Reply: leaving lexus