GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Check Engine Light - Check VSC

Old 08-21-13, 07:19 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the VSC warning after tightening my gas cap and resetting battery. Obviously it is NOT the gas cap as the this time I actually scanned the code and got P0158 Bank 1 sensor 2 low voltage. I will inspect the O2 sensor today after work.
Old 11-18-13, 08:08 PM
Shadey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my gs430 for about a month and before I knew it. Check engine light. Then vsc / vsc off light a few days later. After searching this forums I decided to try looking at my gas cap. Sure enough the gasket had a crack and it was brittle. Thinking I had solved the problem I went to Lexus parts and bought a $32 gas cap. Well after 200 miles it just got worse. Now it started missing(sputtering). Over it I took it to my machanic. Code reader, miss fire 5 , misfire 7, fuel defusuer?
Turns out the problem was, bad ignition coil on cylinder 5, bad ignition coil cylinder 7. $147.00 in parts, $6 12 pack of sunkis soda, and 3 cheeseburgers and $32 in labor. No check engine light no vsc light. Car runs even stronger
Old 12-17-13, 08:05 PM
Brayan24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hziemba
I had the same problem with my 06 GS. Turned out to be the gas cap not cranked down. I took it off, put it back on until I heard 3-4 clicks. A couple of days later, the light went out. Problem solved without a trip to the dealer.
My lexus is250 2006 has had no problems,went to the gas station .filled it up and then the vsc light came on right after, I tightened the gas casket but the vsc and check engine light are still there : (
Old 12-18-13, 03:55 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brayan24
My lexus is250 2006 has had no problems,went to the gas station .filled it up and then the vsc light came on right after, I tightened the gas casket but the vsc and check engine light are still there : (
for your IS, check out the IS forum (this is the 3GS forum) 2IS Forum

nonetheless though these cars are pretty similar. it may take a few days to fully cycle through before the light turns off or it could possibly be that the O ring on the cap is worn out. an easy way to tell is to tighten your cap and when you go to take the cap back off, see how much you have to turn it before it comes out. when my O ring went bad on my cap, it only took at most 1/4 turn before it just came off.
Old 12-18-13, 08:19 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brayan24
It will NOT go away immediately on its own.

I think it requires two full cycles (full cold start, through fully warmed up) with no errors for it to clear the warming light.
Old 03-02-14, 02:00 PM
DuraLex
Driver School Candidate

VSC Light came on, changed gas cap didn't help,
Drove to dealer and was quoted $2600+ tax~ total $2800 for ECM and oxygen sensors replacement.
Error code P0037.

Car runs perfectly fine, I understand some sensors went bad.
Can I do this myself (sensors are around sub$200 on ebay), or do I have to sell my kidney to pay for repair.
GS300 AWD 2006 107k
Guys please help
Thanks
Chris
Old 03-22-14, 12:02 AM
xostyle
Driver School Candidate

When in doubt, Club Lexus has the answer to everything Thanks a million Lexus CL peeps
Old 03-22-14, 03:04 PM
xostyle
Driver School Candidate

Read through this thread, the MAS might need to be clean or replaced, cheap on ebay and pretty easy. Best wishes
Originally Posted by DuraLex
VSC Light came on, changed gas cap didn't help,
Drove to dealer and was quoted $2600+ tax~ total $2800 for ECM and oxygen sensors replacement.
Error code P0037.

Car runs perfectly fine, I understand some sensors went bad.
Can I do this myself (sensors are around sub$200 on ebay), or do I have to sell my kidney to pay for repair.
GS300 AWD 2006 107k
Guys please help
Thanks
Chris
Old 05-31-14, 10:39 PM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

When this happened to me, I couldn't even put the car in drive it was locked, I was loosing my mind and heart skipped a couple beats, turned out a fuse popped, replaced it with a new fuse and that fixed my problem
Old 06-09-14, 09:19 AM
sksahai
Driver School Candidate

Default Could Alternator replacement cause problems?

HELP! any advice appreciated.

2007 GS350 RWD, Car died in driveway last week at 96k, towed it to a mechanic my brother recommended, after jumpstart failed to get the car moving ( 9 amps across the terminals). This small time mechanic replaced the alternator and did an oil change +alignment. I picked it up Saturday morning. I drove to work and back on Saturday and Sunday, 50 miles round trip, and no issues. This morning, while driving to work, the Check VSC warning and Engine Malfunction light came on, and I was having acceleration issues, There was rattling sound coming. I pulled over and pulled the gas cap (no gas was put in the interim) and same warning at restart.

Had it towed to the same guy, and he tells me no warning signs and nothing wrong with it. He would take it for a test drive and see if it happened again.

Is there an OBD memory module that he can access and see what the issues where this morning? The lack of acceleration was not in my imagination, but the rattling may have been. There was a giant diesel truck behind me for 3 miles and seemed to tailgate me until I pulled over into a parking lot, he matched my acceleration and stops to the tee.

If he can't find the problem, is it safe to drive the car? At what point does it become unsafe? The owner's manual is of no help, it just says pull over immediately and call Lexus.

I'm out $950 for the first repair, and I think that my car may have been beyond his ability to fix.

I think he messed something up while replacing the alternator, and I am not sure how to proceed. Any advice would be appreciated.

update: just spoke with the mechanic, and after driving for a few miles, the same warning lights came on again. He didnt give me the codes, but said that it was the oxygen sensor, and a VSC code. He says it's no way related to what he did, but I find that hard to believe, as the car was perfectly fine last week, and then it gave me the errors only after I got it back from him.

Last edited by sksahai; 06-09-14 at 11:59 AM. Reason: More info
Old 06-16-14, 11:58 PM
Aeresenic
Driver School Candidate

In order to know what is going on, you will have to pull the codes from your car. Some auto part stores will help you scan your check engine light codes for free.
Old 07-17-14, 04:55 PM
jalbornoz
Driver School Candidate

Default VSC Check Engine Light

My 2006 GS300 with 98K on it lit up like a christmas tree. I replaced the gas cap and aftwr abouy 10 drives the lights are all off. I did connect a reader and found P0441 and P0455 both referenced EVAP system in memory. I will provide updates if lights or codes return. I had recently rebuilt my trans and thought I had issues related to that. Very happy to report no trans codes however same lights came on. Gas cap cosr about $21 at local dealer after 20% web coupon.
Old 07-20-14, 10:43 AM
KonkBob
Driver School Candidate

Can be caused by any number of things. Just go get it scanned. "Misfiring on all coils" is a typical code that basically tells you nothing. I know this because my RX has been through a multitude of electrical problems. It has been tested with the most sophisticated diagnostic equipment available and the computer still isn't telling us what the actual problem is.
Old 07-26-14, 12:18 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Just had this light come on. I was driving to work and my radio cut off. I saw the battery light go on. I was a block away from my work parking lot. I pulled into the lot and all my dashboard lights came on and the chk vsc warning was on my LCD display in the dash. I could hardly turn my steering wheel. I just got it to a stall. when I turned off the car, now it wont startup.
The day before I could hear a faint "whine" when the car idles.wasn't from the radio. But when I turned off the car, I swear I could smell something electrical?
Of course, dealer is closed. 2007 GS350
Old 07-26-14, 01:27 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Default is there a alternator warning light?

Went on break, checked the fuel cap. and I tried to start the car. Sounded really hard to turn over but the car started with no warning lights.
Could it be my alternator isn't working? Is there a indicator that tells me if my alternator isn't working?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Engine Light - Check VSC