GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Autoweek - M45 vs GS430

Old 08-12-05, 08:01 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wouldn't it be great if Lexus paid attention to these reviews and minor consumer complaints and actually addressed them in future models? we need a Lexus corp rep on CL to hear what people are saying.

We want-
*more HP
*Traction control/VSC that can be turned off and an ecu that can be set to an aggresive setting
*Sport model(aero kit, 19s, smaller wheel gaps etc.)
*???

no doubt Lex quality and resale blow away Infinity, but the M does have a few good points....
Old 08-12-05, 09:27 AM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who the heck wants to drive an Infinity anyway? I call it the Japanese Volvo. Too quirky for me, and ugly to boot.
Old 08-12-05, 09:58 AM
marcpitch
Driver

Default Yeah ...what he said

Everybody knows Lexis is the best. Infinity is like a Volvoh because they both ________ (fill in the blank). It is also too quirky - that technology and power will be obsolete in a year. Who says you have to have a point to post here. I love this country!

2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2003 Porsche Boxster (test drove)
2002 Ford Taurus (rented during summer vacation)
1999 Lexus GS400 (borrowed from friend for a couple hours)

Last edited by marcpitch; 08-12-05 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-12-05, 10:08 AM
gs430jw
Pole Position

1) find it funny when infiniti owners are posting on CL 3rd gen forums.

2) do disagree with the car being too quirky and ugly, it's really good looking.

3) just think the Lexus out classes the competition

Last edited by gs430jw; 08-12-05 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-12-05, 10:23 AM
marcpitch
Driver

Default Funny Ha Ha or Funny like a Quirky Infiniti

For those Infiniti owners who greatly respect the Lexus brand and who previously owned a Lexus GS400 (1999), it is really not that funny. I have owned Lexus' and will probably buy again, but not this time.

However, I am quite entertained by the rage and protest when any anti Lexus GS article comes out, regardless of who beats it. I would not have bought an Infiniti for half price before 2002, so I am hardly a die-hard Infiniti loyalist.

This article, though somewhat brief, nailed the M - GS differences precisely. The GS is for riders, while the M is for drivers. Of course, there are many interior and exterior subjective issues. But is those are even close between the cars, then drivers must choose the M.
Old 08-12-05, 10:29 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

I personally find the M rather appealing as far as looks go. Decidely VERY Japanese IMO. It makes a great looking VIP car with the right kit and stance. I would love to test drive one.
Old 08-12-05, 10:30 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by marcpitch
For those Infiniti owners who greatly respect the Lexus brand and who previously owned a Lexus GS400 (1999), it is really not that funny. I have owned Lexus' and will probably buy again, but not this time.

However, I am quite entertained by the rage and protest when any anti Lexus GS article comes out, regardless of who beats it. I would not have bought an Infiniti for half price before 2002, so I am hardly a die-hard Infiniti loyalist.

This article, though somewhat brief, nailed the M - GS differences precisely. The GS is for riders, while the M is for drivers. Of course, there are many interior and exterior subjective issues. But is those are even close between the cars, then drivers must choose the M.
bub its cool but don't let me begin to post the total ignorance on your forums, which are basically dead in comparison to this one.
And this article is now beating a dead horse. The M45 is sportier, the GS 430 is not. Considering the M45 is based on a 350Z, which is a sports car, well, it should be sportier, no?

I don't see rage and protest here? Do u want me to link some threads in your forums, for a good chuckle?

IMO, this is old now. The next comparison will be the GS 450h vs the.

whoops
oh

I guess nothing

Last edited by LexFather; 08-12-05 at 10:34 AM.

Old 08-12-05, 10:40 AM
marcpitch
Driver

Default I' m Sorry...

I thought we were talking about the cars not the forums. My mistake. You really don't seem to understand and probably never will (based on your thousands of posts) that this is not a Lexus vs the world thing. I am "bi-partisan" and look forward to the Lexus GS 450 h. I may own one some day.

You use those stupid faces like you personally engineered the new GS. My guess is you had absolutely nothing to do with it and now fight fiercely to make certain in your own mind that you made a good car buying decision.

Hey bub, it was a good decision...for you.
Old 08-12-05, 10:46 AM
LexFather

I thought we were talking about the cars not the forums. My mistake. You really don't seem to understand and probably never will (based on your thousands of posts) that this is not a Lexus vs the world thing. I am "bi-partisan" and look forward to the Lexus GS 450 h. I may own one some day.

You use those stupid faces like you personally engineered the new GS. My guess is you had absolutely nothing to do with it and now fight fiercely to make certain in your own mind that you made a good car buying decision.

You come in here, with sarcasm and gloating. Can I point a Nissan Fuga forum for you to do that on?

You just attacked a super-moderator. Check your PM.

Old 08-12-05, 10:49 AM
Variance
Driver

Originally Posted by DrewGS4
But a lexus is a lexus and after 3 years or so when they come back in the used car market the lexus will hold it value far better than the M45.
Infinity just can not hold its value over time.
Doesn't the G35 have among (if not the best) resale value in it's class? The M is a great car and I have no doubts it'll hold its value very well.

I can scan the article if anyone wishes.
Old 08-12-05, 10:55 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come on now, lets keep this civil.

It's apparent that the auto press is enamored with the M45, which is expected since most publications place a higher emphasis on "sportniess." The reviews certainly do not take into consideration long term reliability, resale value, etc, all Lexus strengths. These testers don't have to worry about the ownership experience, just their feelings after a couple days of test drives.

Although I am a happy Lexus owner and loyal to the brand, it's impossible not to give Inifiniti credit for the M45. That's why I seriously considered the M45 and took numerous test drives. But I was hesitant to spend 60K on a brand that has historically flopped (although the FX and G have begun to turn this around).

Let's be truthful now. If the GS were winning all the comparisons, we Lexus owners would all be patting ourselves on the back. Shoot, I remember when the GS300 won a C&D comparision test back in 1998, right before I purchased my GS. I think I read that article hundreds of times

But in the end, I still felt the GS was a better choice for me. But I understand why others would choose the M.

Last edited by INHOCJP; 08-12-05 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-12-05, 11:02 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You come in here, with sarcasm and gloating. Can I point a Nissan Fuga forum for you to do that on?

You just attacked a super-moderator. Check your PM.
Damn,

What is this with noobs going after OG's on this forum all the sudden??? This is like the third time I've seen this happen in the last week or two.

I'm always glad to see e-Darwinism in progress.
Old 08-12-05, 11:04 AM
Flufferiou
Lead Lap

There is no way that the M45 is better than the GS430.

Firstly the New Maxima styling (M45) is so similar to our 2nd Gen. GS. It's as if Nissan
said "Hey, let's just copy that! It's like Burger King sprouting up wherever there's a McDonald's).

Secondly, the interior of the Infiniti pales in comparison to anything Lexus releases. Everything in
the infiniti screams "PLASTIC" and they do not feel good at all. All you GS owners, look and feel your dash and then compare it to any infiniti.

The only thing any Infiniti has on any Lexus is the Q45.
I must admit, the Q45 projectors and their rear seats (electronically controlled, slides up and down) are great features but that is just 1 car and 2 features.

Autoweek editors get "perks" from certain manufacturers to "help them" in their evaluations.

I work for a Manufacturer and I am constantly bombarded by Consumer Reports and the Consumer Union on freebies. Sears and the Kenmore brand always "help" the editors of the previously stated publications therefore getting good (not totally deserved) ratings.

Lexus kills Infiniti hands down. If you go to Japan, Nissan is not as highly regarded as Lexus (Toyota until this past year). Toyota is the #1 Brand in Japan!
Old 08-12-05, 11:09 AM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

the G35 has great resale value and the M will likely do the same. just gotta realize that infiniti isnt the company it was in the 1990's. they truly have turned around and infiniti's long term reliability has been on par for a long time. both are good cars... i personally think the GS looks better... i dont like the rear of the M, but if i were to buy one... the M takes it. cheaper, sportier, faster.
Old 08-12-05, 11:11 AM
marcpitch
Driver

Originally Posted by Flufferiou
There is no way that the M45 is better than the GS430.

Firstly the New Maxima styling (M45) is so similar to our 2nd Gen. GS. It's as if Nissan
said "Hey, let's just copy that! It's like Burger King sprouting up wherever there's a McDonald's).

Secondly, the interior of the Infiniti pales in comparison to anything Lexus releases. Everything in
the infiniti screams "PLASTIC" and they do not feel good at all. All you GS owners, look and feel your dash and then compare it to any infiniti.

The only thing any Infiniti has on any Lexus is the Q45.
I must admit, the Q45 projectors and their rear seats (electronically controlled, slides up and down) are great features but that is just 1 car and 2 features.

Autoweek editors get "perks" from certain manufacturers to "help them" in their evaluations.

I work for a Manufacturer and I am constantly bombarded by Consumer Reports and the Consumer Union on freebies. Sears and the Kenmore brand always "help" the editors of the previously stated publications therefore getting good (not totally deserved) ratings.

Lexus kills Infiniti hands down. If you go to Japan, Nissan is not as highly regarded as Lexus (Toyota until this past year). Toyota is the #1 Brand in Japan!

I am sure all those pro GS people are very excited to have you and your argument on their side. My sense is they agree with your premise, but think your argument is a little less than compelling. From the Burger King-McDonalds point to Infiniti's "winning" Q45, I am not sure where to start.

By the way, plastic comment is correct; styling is subjective ( I prefer exterior of GS slightly over M). Who cares about which is first in Japan, even if I were moving there. Consumer Reports is worthless, but does make points here I agree with.

You aren't a super moderator are you?

Last edited by marcpitch; 08-12-05 at 11:17 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autoweek - M45 vs GS430