GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS430 Problem and Question?? Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 11:39 PM
BlkBuzzard
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS430 Problem and Question?? Help

Today my park assist stopped working. I went through the touch screen menu's to make sure I hadn't accidentally turned it off. Everything is as should be but the PA is just not working anymore. No beeps or guidance. Any one else gone through this?

I am going in for my 10k service at the end of the month and I was wondering if anyone here knows whether or not Lexus service uses synthetic oil?

They also quoted me about 160 plus sales tax for the 10k service which she said basically includes oil change and some other minor stuff. Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-05, 04:13 AM
kb2yza
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems odd have you tried turning it off on the small dropdown panel and then turning it back on? just an idea.

As far as I know Lexus up here uses the good old fashion oil. And as far as 160.00 on the service that is about right and I would do the oil change and tire rotation my self but dont have the facilies to do so. If you do you could save a boat load of cash but it wont be logged in the Lexus database and make it look like your fault later on if you have trouble.
Old 07-07-05, 04:21 AM
bigzip
Driver

Originally Posted by BlkBuzzard

They also quoted me about 160 plus sales tax for the 10k service which she said basically includes oil change and some other minor stuff. Is it worth it?
The 10K service here is $39.95, includes oil/filter change, rotate tire and the 'checks' they do. I'm sure that's not with synthetic oil though.
Old 07-07-05, 10:12 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkBuzzard
Today my park assist stopped working. I went through the touch screen menu's to make sure I hadn't accidentally turned it off. Everything is as should be but the PA is just not working anymore. No beeps or guidance. Any one else gone through this?
Is the park assist light illuminated? I mean, is the "P" lighting up on your guage cluster?

Originally Posted by bigzip
The 10K service here is $39.95, includes oil/filter change, rotate tire and the 'checks' they do. I'm sure that's not with synthetic oil though.
Wow, $39.95 is very cheap, especially for a Lexus dealership. $160 is about right for here in So. Cal. Lexus service is definitely not cheap.
Old 07-07-05, 12:46 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

The only problem I've run into is the outside mirrors not tilting down when I put it it reverse. I then remembered reading in the manual that you need to make sure the mirror adjustement is set to either the left "on" or right "on" not middle "off". Made the change and all worked as advertised.
Old 07-07-05, 09:47 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Note that the on/off switch is not in the touchscreen menus- it's on the dropdown panel to the left of the steering wheel. You know, where it says PUSH.
Old 07-07-05, 11:31 PM
BlkBuzzard
Driver

Originally Posted by Ex996
Note that the on/off switch is not in the touchscreen menus- it's on the dropdown panel to the left of the steering wheel. You know, where it says PUSH.

Duly noted. I shall check this out tomorrow. I treat my cars like my video games. I never read the manual. I guess I have some studying to do. Thanks
Old 07-08-05, 05:39 AM
dandd2
Lead Lap

due to the fact that lexus uses synthetic oil i believe we are supposed to get an oil change every 5000 miles vs. the usual 3000 mile check up and change...
thats what the dealer told me
anyone hear anything else?
i just met my 1000mile mark on the GS and was considering an oil change
Old 07-08-05, 05:43 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mkim1120
due to the fact that lexus uses synthetic oil i believe we are supposed to get an oil change every 5000 miles vs. the usual 3000 mile check up and change...
thats what the dealer told me
anyone hear anything else?
i just met my 1000mile mark on the GS and was considering an oil change

I don't think Lexus cars come with synthetic oil.

I would change oil at 1k for the first time. Better to be safe and get metal shavings or other contaminants out. I've always been taught to change oil at 1k on new motors.
Old 07-08-05, 07:35 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

You need to ask some questions of your Lexus service advisor. Most Lexus 0il/filter changes cost around $30-39, and include a 29 point inspection. Ask what they do at different services like the 10K and the 15K and the 30K. See what is "checking" and what is "changing" meaning really doing something, like changing the oil, differential fluid, rotating tires, etc. I know you will find that the 29 pt check that is included with the price of your regular old oil/filter change does everything that is listed on the 10K/15K/20K/30K etc. service check list. Now look at your manual and ask what it costs for the "real" work that they need to do at the specified service interval, like rotate the tires and change the differential fluid. I've owned 3 Lexus vehicles and found that if at the normal service I get a oil/filter change that includes the 29 point check I am covered for everything they would check at what they call the for example "15K Service". Don't get screwed. Get the oil/filter service and then if your manual states that you need anything else taken care of at the mileage interval ask what "that" specific item costs. DO NOT LET THEM TELL YOU IT IS COVERED IN THE XXk MILE SERVICE FOR $360.00, WHEN AN OIL/FILTER CHANGE WILL COST YOU $39 AND THE TIRE ROTATION WILL COST YOU $50 AND THE DIFFERENTIAL FLUID CHANGE WILL COST YOU $45 AND IT WILL ALL BE IN THE LEXUS COMPUTER (covering your warranty requirements) AND IT WILL SAVE YOU $220 FOR THE SAME WORK. I was taught this by a Lexus service advisior. He told me they do the package services that are way over priced because most Lexus owners have more money then sense.

PS- Normal Oil/Filter change at a Lexus dealer uses 5w30 dino oil, mine uses Castrol GTX, you can ask for the Castrol Synthetic but it costs more. I would do the 1000 mile OCI and then change it again at 4K mile intervals until you get to 15K miles and then go to the synthetic if you want synthetic.
Old 07-08-05, 09:14 AM
dandd2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PitBull
You need to ask some questions of your Lexus service advisor. Most Lexus 0il/filter changes cost around $30-39, and include a 29 point inspection. Ask what they do at different services like the 10K and the 15K and the 30K. See what is "checking" and what is "changing" meaning really doing something, like changing the oil, differential fluid, rotating tires, etc. I know you will find that the 29 pt check that is included with the price of your regular old oil/filter change does everything that is listed on the 10K/15K/20K/30K etc. service check list. Now look at your manual and ask what it costs for the "real" work that they need to do at the specified service interval, like rotate the tires and change the differential fluid. I've owned 3 Lexus vehicles and found that if at the normal service I get a oil/filter change that includes the 29 point check I am covered for everything they would check at what they call the for example "15K Service". Don't get screwed. Get the oil/filter service and then if your manual states that you need anything else taken care of at the mileage interval ask what "that" specific item costs. DO NOT LET THEM TELL YOU IT IS COVERED IN THE XXk MILE SERVICE FOR $360.00, WHEN AN OIL/FILTER CHANGE WILL COST YOU $39 AND THE TIRE ROTATION WILL COST YOU $50 AND THE DIFFERENTIAL FLUID CHANGE WILL COST YOU $45 AND IT WILL ALL BE IN THE LEXUS COMPUTER (covering your warranty requirements) AND IT WILL SAVE YOU $220 FOR THE SAME WORK. I was taught this by a Lexus service advisior. He told me they do the package services that are way over priced because most Lexus owners have more money then sense.

PS- Normal Oil/Filter change at a Lexus dealer uses 5w30 dino oil, mine uses Castrol GTX, you can ask for the Castrol Synthetic but it costs more. I would do the 1000 mile OCI and then change it again at 4K mile intervals until you get to 15K miles and then go to the synthetic if you want synthetic.

called the service advisor he said to come in at 5000 mile mark and not to change the oil at 1000
at every 5000 miles i get a free oil change from the dealer until i hit 25000 miles
Old 07-08-05, 10:05 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mkim1120
called the service advisor he said to come in at 5000 mile mark and not to change the oil at 1000
at every 5000 miles i get a free oil change from the dealer until i hit 25000 miles

don't listen to the service writer on this one. what can you HURT changing your oil at 1k? I also don't go any higher than 3k on oil changes on my GS430.

can you not change oil until 5k and be fine?
yes.

If it were my brand new Lexus, would I change it around 1k?
for sure
Old 07-08-05, 02:13 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i went to Jiffy lube...waited about 45 mins for my turn...they put my car in the bay and only to tell me they couldn't help me (change my oil) because they didnt have the filter for the 2006 GS model.....

I WAS PISSED!

I have about 3500 miles now...still haven't changed the oil.
Old 07-08-05, 02:22 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS4fun
i went to Jiffy lube...waited about 45 mins for my turn...they put my car in the bay and only to tell me they couldn't help me (change my oil) because they didnt have the filter for the 2006 GS model.....

I WAS PISSED!

I have about 3500 miles now...still haven't changed the oil.
OMG, don't ever let Jiffy lube touch your Lexus Part of what you paid for in buying a Lexus is the best service available for you car. Only use the OEM filter and it will increase the value of your tradein someday if all of the service records are on the Lexus network.
Old 07-08-05, 03:48 PM
GS430X6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JHStrange
The only problem I've run into is the outside mirrors not tilting down when I put it it reverse. I then remembered reading in the manual that you need to make sure the mirror adjustement is set to either the left "on" or right "on" not middle "off". Made the change and all worked as advertised.

You have the 3GS300 or 430? I dont think my 430 mirrors tilt in reverse, thought you had to do it manuraly in the drop down switch box.

Quick Reply: GS430 Problem and Question?? Help