GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Satelite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 07:59 AM
costanza
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by looknow12
I browsed through the XM installation guide and besides being 19 to Sirius' 12, it requires you remove the rear bumper!!! Not to mention it's hideous antenna design.
Wow! You'll go to any length to bash any aspect of XM
Lets' see... no need to remove the bumper to install the "hideous" XM antenna under rear window shelf, where you'll never see it. Next XM complaint?
Old 08-09-05, 08:04 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by costanza
Lets' see... no need to remove the bumper to install the "hideous" XM antenna under rear window shelf, where you'll never see it. Next XM complaint?
I'm not bashing. Anyone interested or who has a plan to install satellite radio might not be ready to remove their rear bumper. It's one thing to remove some interior panels the bumper is a little bit more.

These forums are for the purpose of information circulation and opinions. Otherwise what's point of discussions.

I simply stated a fact where it relates to bumper removal. Opinion with regards to the antenna. It's not appealing and other XM subscribers (with Lexus vehicles), have said the same thing.
Old 08-09-05, 08:06 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, in the manual it describes installing it on the trunk. Inside the car on the trunk shelf was a rigged by someone who couldn't stand the site of the antenna. But the kit instructions speak for themselves.
Old 08-09-05, 08:20 AM
costanza
Pole Position

BTW, in the manual it describes installing it on the trunk. Inside the car on the trunk shelf was a rigged by someone who couldn't stand the site of the antenna. But the kit instructions speak for themselves.
And your point is...? If I had a dollar for every time I figured out how to do something better than a set of instructions showed, I'd have a much thicker wallet . If XM figured people would like another black box stuck on their windshield, they would have designed one. I think that Lexus themsleves are responsible for the idea of removing the bumper to run the wire to the outside antenna, not XM. Lexus dealers would be the ones dealing with water intrusion into the trunk from the antenna wire, not XM. Lexus doesn't want to have to deal with those issues. And the idea of placing a satellite antenna on the front or rear dash isn't the brainchild of a clublexus forum member. Lots of people have been doing it for a long time. I have had sat radio for over 2 years and I always place the antenna on the front or rear dash because I dont like the look of external antennas.

BTW, regarding the previous article about Sirius being the "leader in satellite radio", are they going by subscription numbers, where XM is at 4,701,746, and Sirius is struggling to reach 2 million?
Old 08-09-05, 09:58 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sirius has the NBA and NFL, which is the reason I chose Sirius. I'm not sure why people get so fired up about XM versus Sirius
Old 08-09-05, 10:33 AM
costanza
Pole Position

I'm not bashing. Anyone interested or who has a plan to install satellite radio might not be ready to remove their rear bumper. It's one thing to remove some interior panels the bumper is a little bit more.
The FACT is you knew that removing the bumper isn't "necessary" when you wrote the statement.
If you are really trying to help and educate people, a "fair" statment would be, "The instructions tell you to remove the bumper to fish the antenna wire through a grommet for exterior mounting of the antenna, but others here have skipped that step and placed the antenna out of sight on or under the rear window shelf".
Old 08-09-05, 10:39 AM
costanza
Pole Position

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Sirius has the NBA and NFL, which is the reason I chose Sirius. I'm not sure why people get so fired up about XM versus Sirius
True. The NFL games are inticing
XM and Sirius are different, and that is a good thing
Wouldn't it suck if Wendy's, McDonald's and Burger King were the same?
As long as we don't say Wendy's and McDonald's burgers are flame-broiled when we know they aren't, everything will be just fine
Old 08-09-05, 10:50 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

True. The NFL games are inticing
XM and Sirius are different, and that is a good thing
Wouldn't it suck if Wendy's, McDonald's and Burger King were the same?
As long as we don't say Wendy's and McDonald's burgers are flame-broiled when we know they aren't, everything will be just fine
Ha, definitely true. I have friends who swear by XM b/c of the MLB package. In the end, I think we can all agree that both services are better than regular radio
Old 08-09-05, 11:50 AM
costanza
Pole Position

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Ha, definitely true. I have friends who swear by XM b/c of the MLB package. In the end, I think we can all agree that both services are better than regular radio
Heck yes! (in my best Napolean Dynamite voice)
Old 08-09-05, 12:02 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SIRIUS:
NFL
NBA
NHL
NCAA Division 1 Baskteball
English Premier Soccer
Notre Dame and some other high profile colleges
Howard Stern
Martha Stewart
Nascar goes to SIRIUS in 2007

XM
MLB
Tennis
Golf
Some High Profile Colleges
Opie and Anthony (never heard of them until they went to XM)
Nascar is leaving at the end of 2006
Playboy (if your that hardup to have to listen to playboy radio, something is wrong) but yes im not bashing that is a nice little kicker to have in your channel lineup, but I wouldnt pay the extra 2.00 a month to get it.

Yes it is good that both are different. And when it comes to there music playlists they are extremely different. If you are looking to hear the hits then choose SIRIUS, if you are looking for in depth playlists and artists you have never heard of (which music buffs life) then get XM.

They both have Traffic and Weather, they both have commercial free music channels although XM followed SIRIUS in that arena and raised there price to match SIRIUS.

Yes XM has 4.7M subscribers and SIRIUS is not struggling by any means. I can see you avoided my post because Im sure you can tell that I know what Im talking about. There is a gap in subscribers because of the 18 month gap in service launch. You cant deny it. Do some research and you will see. SIRIUS has been gaining market share since it launched service. GM and Honda are shoving XM down all there customers throats because GM is a major investor in XM. Honda which just recently sold off most of there stake in XM was also a big investor however they are coming under pressure as the only japanese automaker who is exclusive. Nissan/Infinity and Toyota/Lexus are customer options, you pick what you want.

In the end both companies will be media giants. They will be the next Infinity and Viacom. They are still in there infancy stages. And yes, I guess they are both better then terrestrial radio, but honestly I really cant say that about XM, but there are other people who can.

By the ways Looknow congrats on the new baby.

Satellite Radio weather its XM or SIRIUS, will be standard in about 4 years in all cars. Remember when the CD player came out.

Oh and just so you dont think all I do is bash XM. XM just announced a new sleek Plug N Play unit that is really nice. It puts anything SIRIUS has right now to shame.
Old 08-09-05, 12:04 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Heck yes! (in my best Napolean Dynamite voice)

ROFLMAO...I love that movie.

These people on here are FREAKIN IDIOTS....lol Just kidding.

I see your drinking 1% milk.
Is that because you think your fat?
Cuz your not.
You can drink whole milk if you want.
Old 08-09-05, 12:27 PM
Tuna
Pole Position

both companies offer a free 3-day trial over the internet...so you can listen to each companies different channels and decide which one you like better...each one has something unique to offer...it's just up to you which one has more of the things you find to be important...install difficulty shouldn't be an issue (although they seem to be equally as easy if you mount them both under the rear windshield?) as i wouldn't mind even spending an extra few hours of install for the one i like better...what's a few hours extra install for unlimited hours of radio from the provider you favor? and why was this such a big argument?
Old 08-09-05, 01:15 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tuna
and why was this such a big argument?
lol, i agree. i just picked sirius because of the lifetime subscrip and nicer windshield mount what do i know, i'm just a girl! (and YES, anything is better than FM radio right now) getting the thing installed tomorrow at the dealer... can't wait to see how this whole thing works. my first venture into satellite radio
Old 08-09-05, 02:01 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

The FACT is you knew that removing the bumper isn't "necessary" when you wrote the statement.
If you are really trying to help and educate people, a "fair" statment would be, "The instructions tell you to remove the bumper to fish the antenna wire through a grommet for exterior mounting of the antenna, but others here have skipped that step and placed the antenna out of sight on or under the rear window shelf".
You do need to remove the rear bumper. According to the guide, there is a wire harness placed below the bumper. If it was only about the antenna, why would you need to remove the bumper???
Old 08-09-05, 02:46 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexuslover
lol, i agree. i just picked sirius because of the lifetime subscrip and nicer windshield mount what do i know, i'm just a girl! (and YES, anything is better than FM radio right now) getting the thing installed tomorrow at the dealer... can't wait to see how this whole thing works. my first venture into satellite radio
Trust me, you'll love satellite radio

Quick Reply: Satelite Radio