GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Itching to hear more about the GS460 (1SICK prediction, 400hp on the way)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-05, 09:43 PM
teutonictr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Itching to hear more about the GS460 (1SICK prediction, 400hp on the way)

The hybrid doesn't do it for me because I'm not wanting to sacrifice ride quality to 'get used to' the differences in braking and acceleration, because you do know you are driving a hybrid when you are driving a hybrid. However, a more powerful V8 sounds good to me, and I wish we had some definitive release dates and specs on it, so I knew if it would be available when I will be ready to get one.
Old 05-27-05, 10:06 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by teutonictr
The hybrid doesn't do it for me because I'm not wanting to sacrifice ride quality to 'get used to' the differences in braking and acceleration, because you do know you are driving a hybrid when you are driving a hybrid. However, a more powerful V8 sounds good to me, and I wish we had some definitive release dates and specs on it, so I knew if it would be available when I will be ready to get one.
I too can relate with you on that, and that is the reason why i am waiting to see what lexus plan to do with the GS460, and if it ain't 400-HP or more plain ol V-8 4.7 liter or more, no hybrid or electric steering crap, and if lexus doesn't deliever the goods, then i am definitely getting 06 M3 V-8 400-HP or 07 skyline twin turbo V-6 450-HP. So lexus if you are reading this you better start brain storming, and i speak for everyone on this forum when i say this.
Old 05-27-05, 10:35 PM
herragge
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imo, you can't really compare the lexus luxury sedan with a grand touring type-r skyline TWIN TURBO. Turbo V6 does not compete with the GS luxury division and the GTR shows its pure performance intention. Even with the bimmer its a similar case because the bimmer is meticulously (hope thats how you spell it) tuned with performance. The M series cars are racing heritage, something that Lexus just doesn't have. I feel if you want passionate racing performance, the GTR and the M3 are one of the best choices you can make. (btw, I didn't even know they were making a V8 M3, thats unusual as all of the M3's to date have been I-6 other than the E30 M3). However, if you want luxury, beauty, class and integrity, I feel lexus GS is the way to go.

Thats coming from a guy whos owned BMW and Lexus.

just my 0.02
Old 05-28-05, 06:01 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
I too can relate with you on that, and that is the reason why i am waiting to see what lexus plan to do with the GS460, and if it ain't 400-HP or more plain ol V-8 4.7 liter or more, no hybrid or electric steering crap, and if lexus doesn't deliever the goods, then i am definitely getting 06 M3 V-8 400-HP or 07 skyline twin turbo V-6 450-HP. So lexus if you are reading this you better start brain storming, and i speak for everyone on this forum when i say this.
The GS has traditional steering linkages. It uses a rack and pinion steering system. The electric "crap" you refer to is electronic speed senstive steering. VDIM will also make adjustments if the system believes you will begin to skid out of control. I've pushed this system very hard, it feels like normal steering 99% of the time. The only difference is the wheels will be pitched slightly only in an emergency.

The current 400h hybrid uses an electric steering pump as opposed to a belt driven pump. Even BMW has a power steering pump, who cares what powers it.
Old 05-28-05, 06:38 AM
jwaters
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
So lexus if you are reading this you better start brain storming, and i speak for everyone on this forum when i say this.
Oh please. You certainly don't speak for me. I personally feel 400hp is a bit excessive in a mid-level luxury sedan. You're making an apples to oranges comparison anyway. The GS460 is meant as a replacement to the 430 and isn't going to be some niche vehicle like the AMG Benzes or M Series BMWs. When/if Lexus decides to take on the Germans in this category, 400+ horsepower will be needed, until then the I'd say Lexus will do just fine w/ 340-360hp. Besides, it's not all about the horsepower rating anyway. For instance, many BMW engines are underrated and perform much better than their numbers would suggest. Gearing, aerodynamics and weight play a big part in acceleration. Take the Lexus LS430 vs. the Infiniti Q45. When they both came out a few years back everyone was bragging about how the Infiniti had so much more power, but in reality it was no faster than the Lexus (mainly due to gearing). But hey, if all you are concerned with is bragging rights (I drive a 400hp car!! ) or driving the fastest car on the block then feel free to get the car that best fulfills your needs/wants. If your priority is speed/horsepower ratings than I'm suprised the Lexus even interests you in the first place to be honest.

Last edited by jwaters; 05-28-05 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-28-05, 09:18 AM
dlomshek
Rookie

Default I'll speak for myself thanks!

Lexy you don't speak for me either. I intensely dislike when anyone presumes to speak for me without my approval. The GS460 doesn't need 400hp. A nice 350 - 365 will do just fine. This
auto isn't some short-fused, unreliable, raucus street rod. The BMW M3 went just a little over
the line and suffered big reliability problems.
Old 05-28-05, 10:50 AM
LexFather

In all honesty we know nothing but speculation. But think about this.
The current GS with "only" 300hp/325 lbs torque is one of the fastest in class. Its also the quietest engine and the most fuel efiicient. It has VVti, not dual VVTi and does not have direct injection. Then the engine will grow from 4.3 to 4.6 liters. We are pretty sure the IS 350/GS 350 has at least 315hp, which is 15 more than the GS.

319 (the rumored number)/3.5=91.1 hp a liter
Excuse my math but with this same HP per liter multipled by 4.6 equals 419hp.

Okay that makes no sense.

But what is scary and what is reasonable to say if with NEW technology 400hp is now, gulp, dare I say very feasible?

And I cannot see Lexus going ALL OUT in the HP war with the IS350 and letting the GS take it in the HP butt. It makes no sense. With the BMW 550 having around 360hp when it gets upgraded, well if Lexus has more power in the IS 350 to the 330, then I can see a GS 460 having 400hp. It just makes sense at that point.

Also, Lexus has PROMISED, the next LS will make a BANG like it did in 1990. It is the FLAGSHIP of the line.Benz is also upgrading engines. Even though with only 290hp, the LS is near fastest in class, that number will no longer do. Since the LS and GS will both be a 460, well, see how 400hp sounds almost reasonable?

Finally the GS 450h ALREADY starts with the 3.5 engine. Detuned, like in the Avalon, it makes 280hp. So EVEN with 280hp PLUS electic motors, 350hp is very easy to make. If they use the 319hp full rating of the new 3.5, well 350hp would be underated. The reason I think they will use the detuned engine is b/c the RX 400h uses a detuned 201hp V-6 (3.3)
So boysz and girls, my bold predicition. The 400hp GS 460 and LS 460.
Old 05-28-05, 04:23 PM
teutonictr
Driver School Candidate

Who changed my thread title? I didn't put that 'sick prediction' on there...! I don't think it will have 400hp nor do I think it NEEDS that much.
Old 05-28-05, 04:56 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The hybrid GS will have 335hp so 4.6 V8 must have even more right?
Old 05-28-05, 05:34 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

teutonic, curious, how does the ride and acceleration/braking style change when you're driving a Hybrid?
Old 05-28-05, 06:46 PM
LexFather

Who changed my thread title? I didn't put that 'sick prediction' on there...! I don't think it will have 400hp nor do I think it NEEDS that much.
I did that
Old 05-28-05, 07:23 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

why would the hybrid GS be different in handling and braking and acceleartion...

the chnages in those are better...at least for the acceleration

i can't imagine that the other technical things would be that much more different
Old 05-29-05, 08:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LEXUS FAN!
why would the hybrid GS be different in handling and braking and acceleartion...

the chnages in those are better...at least for the acceleration

i can't imagine that the other technical things would be that much more different
The hybrid GS will surely weigh near or at 4000lbs, 250lbs more than a GS 430, due to batteries and the additonal electric motors. Clearly, we are not sure how this will affect handling.

I expect Acceleration to be under 6 seconds (I think Lexus stated this) but passing acceleration will be INCREDIBLE, basically the only cars with better passing ability will be AMG/M/exotics. The 4400 lbs RX 400 has the best passing times in class and on par with sports cars.
Old 05-29-05, 01:43 PM
teutonictr
Driver School Candidate

For those who haven't driven a hybrid yet, there are some obvious differences from a purely gasoline based drive. Acceleration is smooth, but you do notice when each motor is working or when each motor isn't, and it's not quite as linear. Braking is worse - because the hybrid engines use the deceleration to create energy, the brakes feel spongy or like they are fading from the very start, as they are dual purpose.

For me, give me straight acceleration and straight braking.
Old 05-29-05, 03:16 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The hybrid GS will surely weigh near or at 4000lbs, 250lbs more than a GS 430, due to batteries and the additonal electric motors.
The hybrid GS is based on the 3.5L V6, not the 4.3L V8, so I don't think it'll weigh 250 lbs more than the GS430.

Since we know:
1. The RX400h weighs 300 lbs more than the RX330 AWD (some of the extra weight comes from the additional standard equipment, but we'll ignore that for now).
2. The GS300 weighs 3,536 lbs
3. The GS430 weighs 3,748 lbs
4. The base Crown Royal 3.0 weighs 30 kg (66 lbs) more than the base 2.5, with the only difference being the extra 500 c.c. displacement in the GR engine.

We can therefore deduce that the hybrid GS, based on the 3.5L GR engine, will weigh approximately 3,536 + 66 + 300 lbs = 3,902 lbs, or 3,902 - 3,748 = 154 lbs more than the GS430.
Clearly, we are not sure how this will affect handling.
True... with carefully thought-out battery placements, they can not only lower the center of gravity but also balace the front-to-rear weight distribution. So the additional weight may not necessarily be a bad thing.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 05-29-05 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Itching to hear more about the GS460 (1SICK prediction, 400hp on the way)