GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Should I have XM installed at the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-05, 11:46 AM
AZBuyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Should I have XM installed at the dealer?

Ok, Finally got the call...my GS 430 is on the coast and will be delivered next week....Flint/Black! Salesmen quoted me $750.00 for the XM install. Concerned about where they will locate the "little black box". [Seen it on the trunk and also on the rear deck] Anybody know about getting a fin antenna simular to BMW or Acura? Looks much better.

Also, SM said there were no problems with the tint & Bluetooth and that the back window can be tinted on the GS. Any one know of any issues??

Last but not least....Stock wheels, Spiders or after market with offsets???

Thanks!
Old 04-22-05, 12:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AZBuyer
Ok, Finally got the call...my GS 430 is on the coast and will be delivered next week....Flint/Black! Salesmen quoted me $750.00 for the XM install. Concerned about where they will locate the "little black box". [Seen it on the trunk and also on the rear deck] Anybody know about getting a fin antenna simular to BMW or Acura? Looks much better.

Also, SM said there were no problems with the tint & Bluetooth and that the back window can be tinted on the GS. Any one know of any issues??

Last but not least....Stock wheels, Spiders or after market with offsets???

Thanks!
Welcome to Clublexus and congrats. Not sure if Lexus can do the fin but the black box in the rear deck looks clean to me.
And concerning wheels, what size, if you want 18s, yeah the Spiders are great. I like the 5-spokes too though. 20s would be a great fit/look as well.
Old 04-22-05, 01:33 PM
AZBuyer
Driver School Candidate

I think your right, 19's or 20's would look great but I'm not sure I want to compromise the ride. I like the 5-spoke as well...maybe chrome 'em.?. On the Blue Onyx G shown in the Lexus brochure the 5' vs look like there chrome.

Just hate to do stock wheels and the spiders look very simular to the Volks I saw on another post.
Old 04-22-05, 02:17 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi, and congrats on the GS!

yeah, the brochures show the 5-spokes when they are super clean - when the graphites are that clean, they look amazing, almost chrome. but when the brake dust and road grime get on there, they look very dark. i am waiting for my OEM chrome wheel supplier to hurry up and get some 18" 5-spokes on exchange. i think i am ready to chrome mine; i got glacier frost for low maintenance, but now i am finding myself cleaning the wheels 2-3 x a week to keep up! i love the graphites, but i think the chrome will also be a nice touch on the GS.
Old 04-22-05, 02:20 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sweet garage dude. you could start your own dealership!

Originally Posted by lexuslover
hi, and congrats on the GS!

yeah, the brochures show the 5-spokes when they are super clean - when the graphites are that clean, they look amazing, almost chrome. but when the brake dust and road grime get on there, they look very dark. i am waiting for my OEM chrome wheel supplier to hurry up and get some 18" 5-spokes on exchange. i think i am ready to chrome mine; i got glacier frost for low maintenance, but now i am finding myself cleaning the wheels 2-3 x a week to keep up! i love the graphites, but i think the chrome will also be a nice touch on the GS.
Old 04-22-05, 02:53 PM
soon2benags4
Rookie

I tinted my windows and have not had a problem with bluetooth at all.
Old 04-23-05, 12:03 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Can someone explain how the XM works with the GS? I'm assuming it is a dealer installed option only? Is that $750 quote just for the install?

Just curious - since so many mfgs have it as an option, I was surprised when I could not find it on the new GS.

ps - sorry to hijack the thread
Old 04-23-05, 12:19 PM
als
Driver School Candidate

I have XM installed in my GS and it was dealer installed. The antenna is mounted on the back deck inside the car. If you look at the XM thread you will see some pics that have posted by others. The reception works fine with it inside. I would definetly recomend mounting in the center not off to the side. I had it to the side first and it did affect reception. You get full functionallity via the touch screen . The screen allows 3 sets of six presets. There is a limitation on the text display for XM data (10 Chars x 2 lines). Its definetly a cool integration. Also make sure to mention that it is a Lexus install XM has a 3 month free trial for Lexus customers which you can have XM autoconvert to a permanant account.
Old 04-23-05, 12:21 PM
als
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to mention that I paid $800 for the install which included the radio and hardware...
Old 04-23-05, 06:29 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by als
Forgot to mention that I paid $800 for the install which included the radio and hardware...
Thanks als
Lexus is definitely trying to be BMW IMHO. I remember purchasing my $57K 540ia and then having to pay $750 for the CD changer - I couldn't believe that it was not a stand alone option at the time. I am shocked that Lexus is doing this since other car makers make it a factory option.
Old 04-24-05, 10:09 AM
ESCAPED
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know down here in Tampa,FL. the dealer sells it for $495.00 installed. They install it on the the rear deck off to the right side. They said that they could not mount it in the middle next to the third brake lamp.
Old 04-24-05, 03:10 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

My dealer installed my XM for $600. It was painless and given the slope of the back window and my guess that the photochromatic sensor is not something you want to monkey with it was a no brainer for me to have the dealer do it.

I love my XM and my ML Stereo. I put XM in my 98 GS shortly after it became available so I've been hooked for a long time. While no one likes the limited Text Display I do like the 18 programmable buttons that can easily be accessed via your steering wheel controls.
Old 04-24-05, 04:04 PM
AZBuyer
Driver School Candidate

Default xm install

Did they mount the antenna inside on the rear deck? I also read thet lexus was offering 3 months free with install. Do you know if that is true?
Old 04-24-05, 04:22 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

Mine is mounted next to the center brake light and yes 90 days of XM come with the free activation.
Old 04-24-05, 05:16 PM
AZBuyer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info! Any last suggestions before I go to the table with the fleet guy? He says they will knock off $500 and that's it. Tint, XM, and spiders at cost if I want them.
Are you loving your car?? My wife thinks I should drive the M once more..............

Quick Reply: Should I have XM installed at the dealer?