GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The Detroit News Lexus/Infiniti faceoff

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-05, 04:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

LiquidBlue,

Thats ur opinion......

BUT I will agree with Lexus on this, and they state that the new GS is the FIRST car to use the new Lexus design philosophy. The new GS and the LF-S design study look very much alike.

BTW you have to be blind if you dont think the new IS and GS resemble each other in both exterior and interior.

The only obvious similarities i see between the new GS and old GS are the body proportions and quad headlights.
Old 03-30-05, 05:15 PM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
LiquidBlue,

Thats ur opinion......

BUT I will agree with Lexus on this, and they state that the new GS is the FIRST car to use the new Lexus design philosophy. The new GS and the LF-S design study look very much alike.

BTW you have to be blind if you dont think the new IS and GS resemble each other in both exterior and interior.

The only obvious similarities i see between the new GS and old GS are the body proportions and quad headlights.
I think the new IS is much more sportier, aggresive, and masculine-looking. The GS on the contrary, is rounded, with long overhangs, and in a way, a bit feminine looking... I much prefer the styling the of new IS and i believe it more closely resembles the LF-S design concept than the new GS.
Old 03-30-05, 05:22 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
That's an interesting statement. Why do you say that? Car review writers and critics aren't paid based on the number of readers who agree with their reviews.
They aren't but most writers are usually car enthusisasts with performance bias. Nothing wrong with that, but generally most writers look for that quality. Not really a well rounded assessment when all you're looking for is for pure sport to begin with. Plus the test was done with one RWD and one AWD. Of course the AWD model will suffer with the added weight, and the run flat hard compound tires which aren't really suited for "performance" type driving. That's how I see it. Many if you will disagree or agree with me. That's how I see it, but what's written is written. It doesn't necessarily dictate the consumer market demand or their tastes. Their asessments are just one aspect of the whole big picture.
Old 03-30-05, 05:36 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
I much prefer the styling the of new IS and i believe it more closely resembles the LF-S design concept than the new GS.
I disagree......refer to pics below at how much the GS resembles the LF-S.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 03-30-05 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-30-05, 05:43 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I disagree......refer to pics below at how much the GS resembles the LF-S.
Great compilation of pics of the two cars! These pics are exactly what everybody except Detroit News and LiquidBlue is talking about.
Old 03-30-05, 07:16 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

That's an interesting statement. Why do you say that? Car review writers and critics aren't paid based on the number of readers who agree with their reviews.

I LOVE Lexus cars - I own two right now (an `04 GX470 and an `04 SC430) - but I cannot think of any car that would either appeal to everyone or be favored in every category. The truth of the matter is that there is a great deal of parity in mid-size, $40K-$50K range luxury cars these days and it generally becomes an issue of personal opinion and choice when selecting one model over another. My personal choice will probably always be Lexus because of the quality, value and engineering of their cars, even though they may not always be rated "best" in their market category.

sorry to steal you quote....Could not have said it any better . ....I own 2 lexuses and will be buying the new IS probably in the future.

Everyone has thier own opinion of styling, performance and the overall package....that is why we are human. Someone cares about 0-60 times...HP/TORQUE and for some the TECHNOLOGY. the "looks", the name, service and the "IT" factor..... is what they need to sign the paper. M is a nice car...no doubt....but whatever way you spin it it aint no LEX .
Old 03-30-05, 08:11 PM
psteng19
Driver School Candidate

I LOVE Lexus cars - I own two right now (an `04 GX470 and an `04 SC430) - but I cannot think of any car that would either appeal to everyone or be favored in every category. The truth of the matter is that there is a great deal of parity in mid-size, $40K-$50K range luxury cars these days and it generally becomes an issue of personal opinion and choice when selecting one model over another. My personal choice will probably always be Lexus because of the quality, value and engineering of their cars, even though they may not always be rated "best" in their market category.
That's because the review wasn't written to Lexus' favor.
He'd be singing a different tune if the author praised the Lexus, instead of questioning the reliability of the source.
Old 03-30-05, 08:25 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
I think the '06 GS looks more like the 1st and 2nd generation GS than the next generation IS.. I think this reviewer was spot on in his assessment.
As usual you are all wet about another of your "assessments" that the 06 GS looks more like the 1st AND 2nd Gen GS than the IS. Are you blind? I have a 98 GS 400 and 06 GS 430 in my garage and you are clearly looking at the new GS through rose colored (or should I say Infiniti colored) glasses.

The M can win every comparison and every review but at then end of the day it sure sounds a lot like the Q45/LS400 reviews over a decade ago. Every rag touted the Q45 and the next thing since sliced bread and we all know how the LS fared in the marketplace.

The M is right now the flavor of the month (much like the Q45 was) in the Luxury Sports Sedan market. After the dust settles the sales numbers will be the real judge of what car appeals to this growing market.
Old 03-30-05, 08:28 PM
L-Finesser
Rookie

Great pics above. I love the tail-lights on the design/show car.
Old 03-30-05, 08:41 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NYlexus
but whatever way you spin it it aint no LEX .
Agreed.

And guess what, Lexus aint no Infiniti.
Old 03-30-05, 08:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That review seemed to be highly subjective. I always get this strange feeling that almost any shmuck can write a car review these days. How does the GS not feel more inviting ... I mean with 18 different lights in the interior .... as well as the interior itself providing a calm and relaxing atmosphere. The M45 I have sat in, and it is not so inviting to me. Plus, it has red gauges ... I simply despise red gauges. The gauges in the M look cheap and tacky, but that's just me.

In the Edmunds review, the GS430 and M45 Sport were said to be about the same handling and performance-wise, with the M45 having a slight advantage.

Here, it clearly shows the GS with inferior handling. Based on CL members' test drives and reviews, I doubt it is inferior to the M45. Personally, I think it is the VDIM that is simply limiting the GS handling potential. Hypothetically, if VDIM was turned off, I bet the GS would handle at least as good as the M45 Sport, if not better. I'm glad to see the IS gets a more performance-tuned version of VDIM. I do think Lexus should have the option of turning off VDIM ... maybe hide it deep within the navigation, so nobody turns it off by accident. I think VDIM is still an incredible system, and it does not seem to impede too much on handling anyways. The benefits of VDIM far outweight any small handling loss. Get that M45 out into snow ... and it's dead meat. The GS430 on the other hand, although RWD as the M, performs well thanks to VDIM. It makes perfect sense why Lexus isn't offering AWD in the top model IS and GS ... besides sales ... VDIM provides *almost* the same benefits as AWD, not to mention other benefits.

I'm wondering if the top model LS will have VDIM AND AWD. That would be incredible ... an unstoppable traction machine!

Also, I've noticed certain members complaining that the GS didn't get a new V8. Well guess what ... maybe the V8 is not ready for production. Ever think of that? Yes, marketing does also play a hand ... in that a GS350 would be too close power-wise to a GS430 ... and a GS460 (assuming the engine was ready right now) would conflict with the flagship LS430. Lexus is making a wise move by putting the 4.6L V8 into the LS first. Have patience people; Lexus reliability was not made in one day, and Toyota is not going to rush engine development just to please a few grumpy enthusiasts. The 4.3L has GOBS of power .... and not to mention, the new GS430 is smoother than the Gen 2, from all reports, and it is faster by 0.1 - 0.2 seconds as well. Also, the new 430 is heavier than the old 430. Another thing could be that the V8's powerband was spread out more in relation to the 6 speed ... maybe the new GS has a better top end, thus sacrificing the low end slightly. I'm still betting that with the tranny on ECT Power, some mag will get a 0- 60 run of 5.6 or even 5.5 with the GS.
Old 03-30-05, 08:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by psteng19
That's because the review wasn't written to Lexus' favor.
He'd be singing a different tune if the author praised the Lexus, instead of questioning the reliability of the source.
I'd praise the article if it was a fair comparison. In this case, it was out of line. I'm sure if the tables were turned, people would complain if a M35 awd was compared to a GS3 for the same cause. Simple as that.
Old 03-30-05, 09:03 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Leslie,

Not necessarily true for this specific comparison writeup and I don't know about the Detroit news specifically, but other sources in the same city (Detroit Free Press specifically) have a fairly strong bias towards slamming imports where it can, and pumping up the 'local boys' that keep the town in business.
Old 03-30-05, 09:43 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Agreed.

And guess what, Lexus aint no Infiniti.

agreed
Old 03-30-05, 09:44 PM
psteng19
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Leslie,

Not necessarily true for this specific comparison writeup and I don't know about the Detroit news specifically, but other sources in the same city (Detroit Free Press specifically) have a fairly strong bias towards slamming imports where it can, and pumping up the 'local boys' that keep the town in business.
I've heard that about DFP too but in this case, they reviewed 2 imports so unless they're biased specifically against Toyota/Lexus, the playing field is equal.

You guys just can't give Infiniti credit for the M.
The M has won a bunch of comparos against the GS (among other cars as well), but some of you still cry conspiracy.
There are the few of you that do congratulate the M for being a solid competitor.

Quick Reply: The Detroit News Lexus/Infiniti faceoff