GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The Detroit News Lexus/Infiniti faceoff

Old 03-30-05, 01:20 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Detroit News Lexus/Infiniti faceoff

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autoscon...G01-133148.htm

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Product Preview

Infiniti, Lexus in face-off

Sport sedans overlap in features and capability, but M35 is the clear champ

By Paul Lienert / Special to The Detroit News

Infiniti

Infiniti M35 pushes sportiness, performance

Toyota / Lexus

Lexus GS 300 emphasizes comfort and convenience. .

Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery

The penultimate luxury-sport sedans from Lexus and Infiniti -- the GS and the M series, respectively -- have never made much of a dent in the American market, playing second or even third fiddle in recent years to such popular European class leaders as the BMW 5 Series and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

Infiniti M35

Lexus GS 300

For the 2006 model year, both premium Japanese brands have redesigned their mid-range entries, in the process incorporating a raft of technology and performance hardware while dramatically upgrading their looks inside and out.

The 2006 Lexus GS from Toyota Motor Corp. and the 2006 Infiniti M from Nissan Motor Co. offer a choice of V-6 and V-8 engines, and the six-cylinder variants can be ordered for the first time with all-wheel drive.

The base M35 starts at $40,510 while the base GS 300 starts at $43,550. Prices include destination charges.

Stickers top out at $50,160 for the M45 and $51,775 for the GS 430.

The new Lexus and Infiniti sedans have just begun reaching U.S. dealers.

As was true of their predecessors, the latest editions of the GS and the M appeal to slightly different, albeit equally affluent, buyers.

Infiniti continues to push sportiness and performance, and has more in common spiritually with BMW.

Lexus emphasizes comfort and convenience, and aims to emulate Mercedes-Benz.

But there is still considerable overlap between the two competitors in terms of features and capability.

We recently tested nicely equipped examples of the rear-wheel-drive Infiniti M35 and the all-wheel-drive Lexus GS 300. The Infiniti was a preproduction prototype and did not have a window sticker; we estimated its bottom line at just under $50,000. The price as tested on the Lexus was $52,279.

Styling

The original Infiniti M45, introduced in North America as a 2003 model, was based on the Japanese-market Nissan Gloria and was just plain homely. The new M shares its crisply styled sheet metal and elegant profile with the home-market Nissan Fuga, and looks light-years newer and fresher. The '06 M35 that we tested, in fact, has much in common stylistically with its less-expensive sibling, the G35 sedan.

Where the previous M stood out like the proverbial ugly duckling in the Infiniti stable, its successor actually looks like it was designed by the same team that has created so many recent winners at Nissan and Infiniti.

The latest iteration of the Lexus GS, however, looks more evolutionary.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, considering that previous generations dating back to 1993 were pretty good-looking. Curiously, the '06 GS 300 has little in common with the all-new IS range and other edgy Lexus prototypes that have been making the rounds at international auto shows.

Instead, it appears to be the last of the current Lexus designs in terms of family styling cues.

As such, it almost seems a bit on the stodgy side, and not nearly as forward-looking as the new IS -- or, for that matter, the new M from Infiniti. Winner: M35

Ride & handling

For their mid-range luxury-sport sedans, Lexus and Infiniti have adapted similar layouts and components. But their execution and tuning differ dramatically as far as what the driver and passengers feel in the seat of the pants.

Lexus's GS 300 employs double wishbones up front, with a multilink setup in the rear. Coil springs, gas-filled shocks and stabilizer bars are fitted at both ends. Steering is via a rack-and-pinion unit with variable electric power assist, based on vehicle speed. Base tires are 225/50R17s, although our test car was shod with 17-inch all-season run-flats.

The M35 also features double wishbones and a multilink arrangement plus coil springs and front-rear stabilizer bars. A power rack-and-pinion steering unit likewise varies the rate of assist depending on vehicle speed. Base tires are 245/45R18 all-season radials.

On paper, the basic chassis setup on both vehicles sounds remarkably similar, but ride and handling feel markedly different. The Infiniti is more aggressively tuned for precise control and responsiveness, but does not seem overly harsh except on extremely rough and choppy pavement. The Lexus did not feel as crisp in responding to driver inputs and, to our surprise, did not display the same degree of ride comfort as the Infiniti. Winner: M35

Interior

The Infiniti and Lexus sedans could not look or feel more different inside. While both vehicles are exceptionally comfortable -- at least for front-seat occupants -- and fairly bristle with convenience features, the Lexus GS 300 is all about quality, craftsmanship and cosseting driver and passenger in optimum luxury, while the M35 is geared more toward techies and gearheads.

The cabin of the GS 300 was trimmed in dark wood and black leather -- a rather masculine theme redolent of paneled libraries and smoking rooms in private clubs. We loved such features as heated and cooled seats (an option that can be ordered on the M35) and the fancy $4,000 Mark Levinson audio system that comes bundled with navigation.

The center stack, with its sensibly laid-out controls for audio and climate systems, is a welcome alternative to the Germans' increasing technical complexity. But some of the major controls on the Lexus have been relocated to a small, pull-down panel to the left of the steering wheel that is difficult to access and read.

The gorgeous three-tone cockpit of the M35 seemed far more open and inviting than the interior of the GS 300. Matte wood inserts and bright metal trim are perfect complements to the lighter leather upholstery. We were disappointed that the basic M35 that we tested had no heated seats and no navigation system. More importantly, the controls on the center stack were confusing and overly complicated, as they have been on many recent Infiniti models.

Both the Lexus and Infiniti had rear visibility problems because of their thick rear pillars, and both had limited room in the back seats, although the M35 had a decided advantage in rear legroom. Winner: M35

Engine

With a twin-cam, 280-horsepower 3.5-liter V-6, the Infiniti M35 is the clear winner here, in terms of output and sheer exuberance. The GS 300's twin-cam 3.0-liter V-6 makes only 245 horsepower, and with all four wheels connected to the driveline, the engine often feels like it's working overtime to keep up. In addition, we noticed excessive drivetrain noise at higher speeds with the Lexus. The automatic transmissions on both cars feature manual-shift capability. But the Infiniti's five-speed has one less forward speed than the six-speed automatic in the GS 300. Coupled with the smaller, less powerful engine in the Lexus, the result is a considerable disparity in EPA fuel economy: The GS 300 is rated at 21 miles per gallon in city driving and 27 mpg on the highway while the M35 is rated at 18 and 25 mpg, respectively. Winner: M35

Safety & technology

Both premium Japanese sedans are loaded to the gills with technical features, including the latest in safety hardware. They come equipped with standard side air bags and side curtain bags, as well as electronic stability and traction control. In addition, the Lexus GS 300 has knee air bags for front-seat occupants. Lexus offers such options as rain-sensing wipers, adaptive headlamps, sonar parking assist and a backup camera. The Infiniti can be ordered with an optional lane-departure warning system, a rear-view monitor, adaptive cruise control and adaptive headlamps. Both cars come with keyless ignition, which requires a "smart" fob to lock and unlock doors and start the vehicle. Winner: GS 300

Lexus and Infiniti have done an exceptional job in redesigning their mid-range sedans, packing even more features, capability and comfort into these high-tech wonders. But while the new GS 300 from Lexus seems like more of an evolutionary change, and has some notable drawbacks, the M35 is a major leap forward and a standout in just about every way, with its most critical shortcoming being an overly complicated control panel. Overall Winner: Infiniti M35
Old 03-30-05, 01:28 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Not too surprised. The source is questionable to begin with.
Old 03-30-05, 02:21 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

I'm still glad I'm getting the GS. No regrets, no second guessing my decision. As I've stated many times before, the Infiniti is a great car, but I disagree on some of the points of the article. I much prefer the styling and ride quality of the Lexus. The Infiniti has the edge in terms of powertrain performance (but not refinement) and even then it's a very slight advantage.

I think what we are witnessing here is not directly related to the GS being an outright failure or disappointment, but rather Infiniti being the new darling of the automotive press. Everybody roots for the underdog and I'm glad to see them doing well.
Old 03-30-05, 02:34 PM
Off
Driver School Candidate

Default Mismatch...

It seems of late we're getting a lot of comparison tests with mismatched models. I'll bet Infiniti sent the Detroit News a M35 Sport, which I certainly wouldn't compare to a GS300 AWD.

The fairer comparison would have been a base M35 and GS300 RWD.
Old 03-30-05, 02:35 PM
TheDonomat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
For certain a Red Wings fan .....
Old 03-30-05, 02:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Off
It seems of late we're getting a lot of comparison tests with mismatched models. I'll bet Infiniti sent the Detroit News a M35 Sport, which I certainly wouldn't compare to a GS300 AWD.

I agree. "our test car was shod with 17-inch all-season run-flats. " I don't really think that was a real fair assessment.
Old 03-30-05, 02:54 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Off

This is just the problem Lexus is having. Where is the sportier version for the GS3 or GS4? There is no sports package option, which is why Infiniti has the edge if you want a sportier vehicle. Inifiniti is also targeting the younger crowd, which is most of us here on this forum.

Putting aside the looks of the vehicle, if you wanted something fun to drive you would enjoy the M35 or M45 Sport with those beautiful rims!
Old 03-30-05, 02:59 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I could have posted this article early this morning but decided the recent M vs. GS thing is getting boring. The real serious buyers will just go & test drive these cars & decide for themselves . . .
Old 03-30-05, 03:40 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ktiger
Curiously, the '06 GS 300 has little in common with the all-new IS range and other edgy Lexus prototypes that have been making the rounds at international auto shows.

Instead, it appears to be the last of the current Lexus designs in terms of family styling cues.

As such, it almost seems a bit on the stodgy side, and not nearly as forward-looking as the new IS -- or, for that matter, the new M from Infiniti. Winner: M35
I don't understand how they failed to see the resemblance between the new GS and the new IS. Even if the GS is less edgy than the IS, they both evidently follow the same design theme that Lexus calls L-finesse.

Also, since when did edginess become the prerequisite for a good looking car? And don't forget the fugly butt of the new M!

Last edited by XeroK00L; 03-30-05 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-30-05, 04:02 PM
psteng19
Driver School Candidate

LOL, they posted a pic the 2nd gen GS.
They fixed the first pic but the bottom pic is still wrong.
Old 03-30-05, 04:13 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

I don't understand how in the world the M35 won the interior comparison. Even most die hard Infiniti fans agree that the GS has the better interior.
Old 03-30-05, 04:15 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ktiger
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autoscon...G01-133148.htm

Curiously, the '06 GS 300 has little in common with the all-new IS range and other edgy Lexus prototypes that have been making the rounds at international auto shows.

This statement shows the lack of credibility of this article.

If these people did any research on the new GS they would see that the new GS is the FIRST of the new Lexus designs and it shares many styling cues with the new IS as well as the Lexus concepts at the auto shows.
Old 03-30-05, 04:19 PM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

I agree. "our test car was shod with 17-inch all-season run-flats. " I don't really think that was a real fair assessment.
This is the 3rd head-to-head comparison that the M has won over the GS.. Coincidence? I don't think so.. according to my calculations, Infiniti is now leading 3-1 in head-to-head comparison reviews.. Can't wait for the next one.
Old 03-30-05, 04:22 PM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This statement shows the lack of credibility of this article.

If these people did any research on the new GS they would see that the new GS is the FIRST of the new Lexus designs and it shares many styling cues with the new IS as well as the Lexus concepts at the auto shows.
I think the '06 GS looks more like the 1st and 2nd generation GS than the next generation IS.. I think this reviewer was spot on in his assessment.
Old 03-30-05, 04:35 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's an interesting statement. Why do you say that? Car review writers and critics aren't paid based on the number of readers who agree with their reviews.

I LOVE Lexus cars - I own two right now (an `04 GX470 and an `04 SC430) - but I cannot think of any car that would either appeal to everyone or be favored in every category. The truth of the matter is that there is a great deal of parity in mid-size, $40K-$50K range luxury cars these days and it generally becomes an issue of personal opinion and choice when selecting one model over another. My personal choice will probably always be Lexus because of the quality, value and engineering of their cars, even though they may not always be rated "best" in their market category.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Detroit News Lexus/Infiniti faceoff