GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

XM Installed Photos

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-05, 10:37 AM
highmiles
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Installed Photos

My dealer installed my XM on the deck inside my rear window. I have had XM since it came out in my 98GS and the reception with this antenna is every bit as good as it was with my external mount on my 98.

I was pleasently surprised to find that there are 3 SAT buttons which allow 18 XM channels to be programmed into the system. The sound on the ML Stereo with XM is INCREDIBLE. When you get it installed try out XM27 Cinemagic for some amazing Surrond Sound effects.

XM is having some promotion (I am guessing with Lexus) that gives you 3 months of XM free. When I picked my car yesterday XM was already activated and ready to go. I haven't tried out all the Seek and Type settings but you do get the same Text that I get on my old Sony unit on my 98.

XM prices are going up in April so if you take advantage of the 3 month promotion you might want to convert to your own account before then if you want to lock in today's price long term.

I am taking 12 hour trip tomorrow so I can't wait to fully test the XM reception and features. I will post any issues I run into both with XM and my first long distance trip.

GS430
Flint
Ash
Loaded
18" 5 Spoke Graphite
Attached Thumbnails XM Installed Photos-xm-installed.jpg  
Old 03-06-05, 10:38 AM
highmiles
Pole Position

Default Another photo

Here is another shot of my XM Installation
Attached Thumbnails XM Installed Photos-xm-2.jpg  
Old 03-06-05, 11:53 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my sirius module installed in the same place in my 2nd gen and I have had no problems with reception. I wanted it there because I hate when they are mounted outside the car. It just looks ugly
Old 03-06-05, 01:50 PM
YL06GS
Driver

highmiles- What did you pay for the system? How long did it take to install?
Old 03-06-05, 03:34 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

Installation cost $650 and it took about 4 hours to complete.
Old 03-06-05, 04:11 PM
YL06GS
Driver

highmiles-Thanks, I am trying to get a real number on how much it is. My Chevrolet Avalanche has it and I like it. I just don't think it is worth 1295.00 the dealer quoted me plus the service fee.

I heard on the radio they have a new XM family plan. Only $6.95 per radio up to 4 radios after the first.
Old 03-06-05, 05:14 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

The first radio is $9.95 per month and radios 2-5 are $6.95 per month. You still pay full price for the first radio only the extra ones are at a reduced price. However if you buy a 2-5 year plan the price is reduced. I just renewed in December and bought a 2 year plan for about $8.50 per month.

The important fact is that the price is going up in April to $12.95 per month. They are adding 15+ Major League Baseball channels, Opie & Anthony and XM PC through the Internet to the base package (the last two were $1.99 and $3.99 per month respectively). Go to xmradio.com or listen.xmradio.com for more info.

I drive between 40-50K miles a year in some pretty remote areas of the country and can't imagine life without XM.
Old 03-06-05, 05:22 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

YL06GS - While I would recommend the factory install on an 06GS especially if you have the ML stereo, I used the Sony XM Hi-Fi and simply placed the small antenna in the front corner of the dash on my 98GS. This system uses a Cassette Tape and actually made my XM Radio sound better through my stock 98GS sound system CD player.

You could hide the cigarrette lighter adapter in the center console and hide the cable to the antenna (the Sony comes with lots of extra cable) but the only trick is hiding the cable to the Cassette Player. This is not impossible but could be a challenge. The Sony solution is under $200 and you install it yourself.

One advantage the Sony has over the factory installed ML system is that the Sony will let you surf the channels before selecting. On the ML system if you turn the TUNER dial it only changes the XM numbers and you have no idea what is on until you select a channel and view the TEXT.
Old 03-06-05, 07:43 PM
YL06GS
Driver

highmiles-I want to use the factory one. It is my understanding the install is fairly easy compared to other models in the line-up. I want to find out the price of just the part and see if I can do a self install.

Maybe Rockville will know the install procedure. If not I might be able to look at one of my accounts on the TIS system for instructions.
Old 03-06-05, 09:52 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mark Levinson and XM now Sirius later

That was good advice because prices are increasing this month for XM. I activated a new radio this week and the young lady at XM told me the same thing. Since all GS models come with a touch screen you can get XM on any of them. The screen tends to go out when not in use though. Since the screen is there already I would like to see the rear backup camera standard as it should only cost about $350. Anyway the XM has three screens with 6 presets on each and has a text button at the bottom. It will scroll the selection information across the channel bar but if you want to read the title and artist info just push the Text button and it will give you just about everything but the artist's birthday. Push the button again and it returns to the Preset screen. I appreciate the post showing the parcel shelf mount. I have heard there is a way to put it under the shelf however since it is metal I'm not sure that will not affect signal reception.
Old 03-07-05, 03:17 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where should I preorder the Sirius?
Old 03-07-05, 04:43 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sirius in the Spring

I expect Sirius to arrive by May. Sirius, the brightest star in the heavens can be seen now by drawing a line straight down from Orion's belt. It will be near the horizon and have a lot of twinkle. If you have binoculars or even a telescope you will see bright colors emanating from this dual star. It is also called the Dog Star hence the period in August called the Dog days when Sirius was thought to add its heat to the World by the Ancient stargazers. I call it the Diamond Star and it is a treat to view it with some magnification. Let's hope we have the Sirius before the Dog Days. No preorder is necessary.
Old 03-07-05, 08:19 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rockville
I expect Sirius to arrive by May. Sirius, the brightest star in the heavens can be seen now by drawing a line straight down from Orion's belt. It will be near the horizon and have a lot of twinkle. If you have binoculars or even a telescope you will see bright colors emanating from this dual star. It is also called the Dog Star hence the period in August called the Dog days when Sirius was thought to add its heat to the World by the Ancient stargazers. I call it the Diamond Star and it is a treat to view it with some magnification. Let's hope we have the Sirius before the Dog Days. No preorder is necessary.
Thank you. I am hoping just like adding this as a module to the vehicles systems, the same can be done with IPA.
Old 03-07-05, 08:20 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by highmiles
GS430
Flint
Ash
Loaded
18" 5 Spoke Graphite
High, does your vehicle have the Intuitive Parking Assist?
Old 03-07-05, 10:38 PM
YL06GS
Driver

Just got my letter today from XM, prices are going up. I can commit to pre-pay for long term and save money, otherwise 12.95 a month.

Quick Reply: XM Installed Photos