GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the exterior styling of the GS(ONLY THE EXTERIOR DESIGN)?
I LOVE the new exterior design.
76.17%
I HATE the new exterior design.
23.83%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Love it or Hate it: New GS DESIGN

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-05, 12:19 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I just read this and if you just said the GS is slightly better than 99 ES, sorry, you killed all your crediblity. Your review is almost the exact opposite of every professional review.
Hehe...the review was biased to begin with, and the facts aren't there to back up the statements.

Originally Posted by reggiek
As for looks.....don't know how they're going to get a sideskirt on with that chrome moulding beneath the doors.
It's not very hard to go back to the photos and/or go to the car directly and actually look at what actually is real and what is made up with just a few words.

In addition the points that stood out to me were like the reference to the 245hp that felt like 170hp. Hands down, the new 3GR-FSE V6 will hand a 2JZ-GE powered GS, SC w/only a 4spd or 5spd ECT auto as well as a 5spd manual fitted SC3. The new GS300 will even outrun my 5spd ECT-i 2JZ-GE IS300. The 245hp is definitely evident and shows it's liveliness when ECT PWR mode is selected. I think the average person will jump in the new GS not knowing the different ECT control types and bash the car for being a dog in ECT NORM mode not being responsive enough.

I find it hard that the new GS300 is floaty in the curves. An all stock 92-96 SC300 is absolutely floaty in the curves compared to the new GS300. I even pointed out how tight the suspension is on the new GS compared to my sport tuned OEM IS300 suspension w/the aide of L-Tuned sways. So in reality my assessment of the car in my previous write up echoes the sentiments of the professional journalists.

Last edited by flipside909; 03-05-05 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-05-05, 04:13 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I just read this and if you just said the GS is slightly better than 99 ES, sorry, you killed all your crediblity. Your review is almost the exact opposite of every professional review.
Let me explain better. First, I think the gs is a way better car than my 99 es...overall. What I really mean is our es has better tires (235-45-17 Michelins) and that contributes to the improved handling....making the gs only slightly better in that department. The new gs has this adaptive transmission technology which thinks too much trying to make adjustments. I didn't like it. I don't want a car thinking for me. I should dictate acceleration/deceleration based on road conditions. With the gs thinking so much, power transfer from pedal to wheels is too controlled. I don't know about someone else's es but it goes when I ask it to. That makes the new gs slightly better IMO in that dept too. Hate the headlights of the gs. But overall front in nice. Again, slightly better than my es. Hatchback rear, don't like. Like es shape. Shall I go on. One more. GS interior is very nice. That wins out substantially over my es.

It's not my credibility that's in question. You have your taste and I have mine. You have your opinions and I have mine. I agree with you sometimes. I disagree with you sometimes. The times I disagree, I didn't challenge your credibility but it's all good. That's your opinion.
Old 03-05-05, 04:24 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Hehe...the review was biased to begin with, and the facts aren't there to back up the statements.

It's not very hard to go back to the photos and/or go to the car directly and actually look at what actually is real and what is made up with just a few words.

In addition the points that stood out to me were like the reference to the 245hp that felt like 170hp. Hands down, the new 3GR-FSE V6 will hand a 2JZ-GE powered GS, SC w/only a 4spd or 5spd ECT auto as well as a 5spd manual fitted SC3. The new GS300 will even outrun my 5spd ECT-i 2JZ-GE IS300. The 245hp is definitely evident and shows it's liveliness when ECT PWR mode is selected. I think the average person will jump in the new GS not knowing the different ECT control types and bash the car for being a dog in ECT NORM mode not being responsive enough.

I find it hard that the new GS300 is floaty in the curves. An all stock 92-96 SC300 is absolutely floaty in the curves compared to the new GS300. I even pointed out how tight the suspension is on the new GS compared to my sport tuned OEM IS300 suspension w/the aide of L-Tuned sways. So in reality my assessment of the car in my previous write up echoes the sentiments of the professional journalists.
I don't understand what you're saying in the first part so I wont comment on that part.
The part about the sc being floaty? I don't know what sc's you've been driving but mine never was floaty. A wide, low, sqatted coupe can never be as floaty than a tall sedan. My review is biased because I comparing my modded suspension sc with a stock gs. I was just hoping with all the new technology, the new gs would come with a more sport tuned suspension....since they call the car a sporty sedan. So it's unfair to compare but it means the gs is floaty...IMO.
My es does have wider and better quality tires, that also means a lot in handling. So yes, my review is biased but that doesn't it's way off the planet. Just means the new gs needs to be modded....just like the old gs did. The journalist compare the new stock gs to the old stock gs. That doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I don't drive stock. Never have. Never. That means they are right, it probably is better than the old one....but not good enough for me. I'm sure it will be great when modded. Still...stock gs vs stock sc. How can anyone say the gs would be better?

Last edited by Ice350; 03-05-05 at 04:30 AM.
Old 03-05-05, 06:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I don't understand what you're saying in the first part so I wont comment on that part.
Well let me rephrase. You said:

As for looks.....don't know how they're going to get a sideskirt on with that chrome moulding beneath the doors.
It's not hard to get a sideskirt on the new GS because that chrome moulding at the BOTTOM of the doors will not interfere with anything at all.

The part about the sc being floaty? I don't know what sc's you've been driving but mine never was floaty.
Like you mentioned, you don't drive stock cars so your assessments don't have a real basis or benchmark test.

A wide, low, sqatted coupe can never be as floaty than a tall sedan. My review is biased because I comparing my modded suspension sc with a stock gs. I was just hoping with all the new technology, the new gs would come with a more sport tuned suspension....since they call the car a sporty sedan. So it's unfair to compare but it means the gs is floaty...IMO.
Your definition of sporty ride and my definition of a sport ride are different. We agree on that. The sport "tuned" suspension doesn't mean ultra flat cornering and jarring ride, that's what's associated with a "sport" suspension. Level of comfort still has to be given, and the new GS proves that. My IS300 will run circles around your SC in terms of handling, because that was designed from the beginning as a sport sedan.

[quote]
My es does have wider and better quality tires, that also means a lot in handling. So yes, my review is biased but that doesn't it's way off the planet. Just means the new gs needs to be modded....just like the old gs did. . I'm sure it will be great when modded.[quote]

What size wheels/tires do you run on your ES? And are you on stock suspension with that?

Still...stock gs vs stock sc. How can anyone say the gs would be better?
Because it is. Like you mentioned before, you don't drive stock cars, so your basis of comparison would be with your SC. Drive one back to back and you'll understand.
Old 03-05-05, 12:11 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Because it is. Like you mentioned before, you don't drive stock cars, so your basis of comparison would be with your SC. Drive one back to back and you'll understand. [/QUOTE]

I have driven both cars stock.....sc has a much sportier suspension.
Old 03-05-05, 12:20 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I have driven both cars stock.....sc has a much sportier suspension.
But back to back no, right?
Old 03-05-05, 03:43 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
But back to back no, right?
You act like one of those people that have to get the last word in a debate. I dare you to not reply.
Old 03-05-05, 07:00 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I just saw the new GS in person up close today for the first time, they have a reception in my local dealership to officially show the car, & I must say I like it much more than I expected, it definately looks much better in person. With the exception of the taillights I think I now like the 3GS more than the 2GS inside & out, especially in the darker colours, the flint mica in the showroom looks great The car is beautifully finished inside & out as expected & all the new gadgets are awesome.The headlights treatment can be more aggressive but overall it's a very handsome looking car especially in darker colors.

I did a test drive with a GS300AWD, which is the only model available for test drives today. Due to the location of the dealer, I didn't have a chance to drive it too aggressively & push it too much. I didn't ask for a more lengthy drive further away since this is their only demo available today, & I' ve made it clear to the salesperson I'm not in the market for this car in the immediate future & I didn't want to spend too much of his time. I think it's a improvement over the previous model in terms of handling but still considerable body lean in cornering compared to my G35c. Since it's a 3.0 V6 of course it didn't have the kick of the SC430 & the G35c. Still I came away happier with the car than I expected, & looking forward to test drive the GS430 in the future.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-05-05 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-05-05, 07:50 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I just saw the new GS in person up close today for the first time, they have a reception in my local dealership to officially show the car, & I must say I like it much more than I expected, it definately looks much better in person. With the exception of the taillights I think I now like the 3GS more than the 2GS inside & out, especially in the darker colours, the flint mica in the showroom looks great The car is beautifully finished inside & out as expected & all the new gadgets are awesome.The headlights treatment can be more aggressive but overall it's a very handsome looking car especially in darker colors.

I did a test drive with a GS300AWD, which is the only model available for test drives today. Due to the location of the dealer, I didn't have a chance to drive it too aggressively & push it too much. I didn't ask for a more lengthy drive further away since this is their only demo available today, & I' ve made it clear to the salesperson I'm not in the market for this car in the immediate future & I didn't want to spend too much of his time. I think it's a improvement over the previous model in terms of handling but still considerable body lean in cornering compared to my G35c. Since it's a 3.0 V6 of course it didn't have the kick of the SC430 & the G35c. Still I came away happier with the car than I expected, & looking forward to test drive the GS430 in the future.
Glad you finally had the chance to see it in person and drive it. It is beautiful. Just don't call it "floaty".
Old 03-05-05, 07:56 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

You act like one of those people that have to get the last word in a debate. I dare you to not reply.
You fail to answer the question, so reply with a provoking answer? I'm not here to argue with you, just asking you a simple question.

Last edited by flipside909; 03-05-05 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-06-05, 07:18 AM
L-Finesser
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the exterior is strong. The interior...
There's a pretty coolInfiniti M brochure in the new Motor Trend and I hate to say it, but that interior looked more Lexus-like to me.
Old 03-06-05, 07:42 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by L-Finesser
I think the exterior is strong. The interior...
There's a pretty coolInfiniti M brochure in the new Motor Trend and I hate to say it, but that interior looked more Lexus-like to me.
I ' ve been in both cars & while it's a very nice interior for an Infiniti & I like it, & it seems a little roomier, it's definitely not more Lexus-like than the Lexus, it just have more wood on the dash that may give you that impression ? Sit in both cars, touch & feel everything & examine the workmanship carefully, the beauty of Lexus cars is in the details . . .
Old 03-06-05, 08:08 AM
GLGTOY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I decided on the M45 Sport

After waiting for Lexus to release the new GS430, I am somewhat dissapointed. I of course love the interior but the exterior is just not doing it for me. I was hoping that the term "Something wicked this way comes" would be part of the performance aspect of this car again. The Infiniti design seems more sporty, more aggressive. Please no flame throwers. I am a Lexus lover some of you may know that from the Sc430 forum. I will "play" with the Infiniti for the next three years and keep a close eye for the much talked about GS460 or redesigned Sc430.
Attached Thumbnails Love it or Hate it: New GS DESIGN-2006-m45-sport.jpg  

Last edited by GLGTOY; 03-06-05 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-06-05, 08:11 AM
GLGTOY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is probably the interior L-Finesser is talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Love it or Hate it: New GS DESIGN-stonealuminum.jpg  
Old 03-06-05, 08:22 AM
LexusTech
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall,I like it. Those unpainted plastic/chrome trim pieces below the door ruins it IMO. Leave that crap @ Pep Boys or Autozone

Quick Reply: Love it or Hate it: New GS DESIGN