GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the exterior styling of the GS(ONLY THE EXTERIOR DESIGN)?
I LOVE the new exterior design.
76.17%
I HATE the new exterior design.
23.83%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Love it or Hate it: New GS DESIGN

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-05, 02:52 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Well said. I couldn't agree with you more!
Old 02-25-05, 03:25 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

It's beginning to grow on me. Looks much better in person than pics. Looking forward to driving one on March 3rd at the "official" launch here in Canada at the local Lexus dealers!
Old 02-25-05, 03:29 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

This shot of it looks really nice!
Attached Thumbnails Love it or Hate it: New GS DESIGN-gsprelchmainimg2.jpg  
Old 02-25-05, 03:31 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

And this interior color combo (wood and leather) looks stunning!
Attached Thumbnails Love it or Hate it: New GS DESIGN-gsprelchmainimg3.jpg  
Old 02-25-05, 05:36 AM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
Out of all those you mentioned, the GS is the beast. In what it gives you, the price (value), styling, sheer beauty, aggresive finish inside and outside with a bold sporty attitude all over and in the car. It has the true fit and finish of a luxury sport sedan. The others are just there because there has to be other cars in the segment. Thats the difference between the GS and the rest.

Couldn't agree with you more!
Old 02-25-05, 06:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
It's beginning to grow on me. Looks much better in person than pics. Looking forward to driving one on March 3rd at the "official" launch here in Canada at the local Lexus dealers!
Official launch here in BC at my local Lexus dealer Saturday March 5, but I suppose a car can arrive a week or 2 earlier I'll keep my eye on it ...
Old 02-26-05, 10:03 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You'll be the only one calling them that.
No...he won't.

I just got back from my third encounter with the new GS. This time the GS430. Much better power but car still too floaty for my taste. Notice something I didn't see before...orange peel. That really surprised me. Paint still beautiful though. Many salesman watched as I stood gazing, staring at it...especially the headlights. I'm sorry. It's beyond being not a preference. Those things are ugly. They do not flow with the rest of the car. Totally out of place. Looks like one of those dogs that have eyes on the side of their head instead of the face. Rear looks like it was chopped off too soon. Looks like a hatchback that wasn't completed. Side profile looks pretty good. Interior still looks good. That chrome side moulding has to go. SInce this car is completely out of the picture for me (unless I see one modded and it blows me away), I checked out the SC430 for the first time. I hate those headlights too but not as much as the GS. I was shocked there is not enough leg room for me. A coupe with no legroom. Preposterous. I didn't care to drive it after seeing that. Long live the SC300/400!
Old 02-26-05, 06:17 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Reggie, Few questions, since we both own SC's I have a 98 SC400, I've had for about 1 year now, still lovin it, it's just the perfect balance between sporty, performance & luxury.

I have not seen the new GS in person yet, only reading here at CL and seeing pics by members.

Could you describe the feel you got from the GS300 vs the 430? Since you drove both. I'm having a big problem on your use of the term "floaty" (I don't want floaty on my next new car) I don't understand how some are saying it is floaty and others are saying it feel's more like sporty handling..

Also can you describe the cockpit from the driver's point of view on each the 300 & the 430?

I don't want to lose the intimate feel of my coupe but I still would like to have a 4 door car for my next purchase. What made me fall in love with the SC400 was the feel I got from the driver's view, everything right within reach & fit & finish is top class and the electro-luminicent backlit display I continue to fall in love with, it has a very "intimate feel" from the driver's view.

Can you also describe how you felt about the displays from a driver's point of view and the overall handling?

I'm really on the fence about this new GS, I love it from the side views & love the whole aerodynamic look but a few things concern me. I'm also looking at the Infiniti G35 but I don't like the orange color of the instrument cluster (yes little things bug me like that) I mean after all that is what I am looking at most of the time right?
Old 02-27-05, 06:05 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
Reggie, Few questions, since we both own SC's I have a 98 SC400, I've had for about 1 year now, still lovin it, it's just the perfect balance between sporty, performance & luxury.

I have not seen the new GS in person yet, only reading here at CL and seeing pics by members.

Could you describe the feel you got from the GS300 vs the 430? Since you drove both. I'm having a big problem on your use of the term "floaty" (I don't want floaty on my next new car) I don't understand how some are saying it is floaty and others are saying it feel's more like sporty handling..

Also can you describe the cockpit from the driver's point of view on each the 300 & the 430?

I don't want to lose the intimate feel of my coupe but I still would like to have a 4 door car for my next purchase. What made me fall in love with the SC400 was the feel I got from the driver's view, everything right within reach & fit & finish is top class and the electro-luminicent backlit display I continue to fall in love with, it has a very "intimate feel" from the driver's view.

Can you also describe how you felt about the displays from a driver's point of view and the overall handling?

I'm really on the fence about this new GS, I love it from the side views & love the whole aerodynamic look but a few things concern me. I'm also looking at the Infiniti G35 but I don't like the orange color of the instrument cluster (yes little things bug me like that) I mean after all that is what I am looking at most of the time right?
First, let me say GS 3rd generation is a nice car. I don't want anyone to think my criticisms/opinions blind my objectivity. Anyone who doesn't think it's sweet is crazy. My viewpoint comes from what I want from a car. First, I like sportiness in the look. That makes any sedan have to be really special to come close. Sportiness in look is a long sloping hood, low roof line, wide(like it's squatting), short rear deck, sleek, big wheels and.....two doors. To me the gs has only the low roof and short rear. Big wheels can be added, of course. I also want the look of the car to flow, be in symmetry. Here's where the car loses most of it's points with me. It has all these beautiful curves then a headlight treatment with a hard square line. Plus the light sits sort of on the side of the front. The rear deck is too short for a sedan. The overall look just doesn't flow well. It's fighting against itself. That chrome moulding....I don't get it.
Second, I want the ride to be a combination of luxury and sport. Doesn't have to be super fast but the power needs to be on demand. GS3 was way too floaty in the curves feeling as if it would topple over and the 245 hp seems like it's really 170. Probably because of the weight and the smart tranny. It thinks too much....trying to make adjustments. GS4 was plenty fast enough but still too floaty. I know I'm used to a SC3 with wide tires and Teins but remember, I also drive my wifes 99 ES. Only mod is 17 wheels with 235-45 Michelins. The gs is only slightly better than our es...very slightly. Let me define what I mean by floaty. WHen you change lanes at high speed, you want the rest of the car to respond immediately to your input. Point the wheel, car does it. When you turn a curve you want less body roll. I want the car to feel like several components operating as one unit, it doesn't feel that way to me. I like sportiness with luxury. GS is luxury with a hint of sport. Sheer hp is not it. It's driver interface/interaction with the car.
Interior, I was very comfortable in the car. Only criticism is the rubber dash. But it looks like a lot of cars are using this. Everything else is pure luxury...too much for me but I could live with it.
I hope this helps. Believe me, it's a sweet car. Just not for me.

Last edited by Ice350; 02-27-05 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-27-05, 08:18 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
The gs is only slightly better than our es...very slightly
I was really hoping for the opposite, and that the handling of the new GS was gonna make the deal for me.

Let me define what I mean by floaty. WHen you change lanes at high speed, you want the rest of the car to respond immediately to your input. Point the wheel, car does it. When you turn a curve you want less body roll. I want the car to feel like several components operating as one unit, it doesn't feel that way to me. I like sportiness with luxury. GS is luxury with a hint of sport. Sheer hp is not it. It's driver interface/interaction with the car.

Thanks for your honest opinion that is what I was looking for here at CL. Of course I will have to drive both versions of the new GS to decide for myself but I'm betting I will feel the same as you. That was a great example changing lanes I know what you mean. I was hoping the new GS was gonna have more of a feel like a BMW in the way of "handling" Ok maybe not exactly like a BMW but leaning more towards that "feel". For me, I want my next car to have great handling but with the Lexus reliability. I hate the styling of the new BMW's and there reliabilty is bad & worse is there customer service. I wonder if the upcoming new Lexus IS will have more driver handling yet retain the Lexus quality & luxury side. I noticed some of the new pics of the IS have some similarity to the front end of the older SC's, slightly.
Old 02-27-05, 08:28 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Opinions can changes with new information. More performance can be dialed in with suspension and wheel mods. I'm sure that will change things a lot. I drove a 2nd gen gs with 20's, no suspension changes, and I thought it was okay. Not all the way there but okay.

As for looks.....don't know how they're going to get a sideskirt on with that chrome moulding beneath the doors. Maybe someone will make a headlight trim to blend it with the car. As you said...check it out for yourself.
Old 03-02-05, 01:27 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is still growing on me, however I do love the new IS. I think when manufacturers start making parts so that the modding can begin, I think I love it more then .
Old 03-03-05, 06:25 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

As for looks.....don't know how they're going to get a sideskirt on with that chrome moulding beneath the doors.
They will get something to fit because the moulding is ON the door. If all else, aftermarket companies can make a sideskirt and door moulding replacement combination if anything.
Old 03-04-05, 05:31 PM
LexFather

First, let me say GS 3rd generation is a nice car. I don't want anyone to think my criticisms/opinions blind my objectivity. Anyone who doesn't think it's sweet is crazy. My viewpoint comes from what I want from a car. First, I like sportiness in the look. That makes any sedan have to be really special to come close. Sportiness in look is a long sloping hood, low roof line, wide(like it's squatting), short rear deck, sleek, big wheels and.....two doors. To me the gs has only the low roof and short rear. Big wheels can be added, of course. I also want the look of the car to flow, be in symmetry. Here's where the car loses most of it's points with me. It has all these beautiful curves then a headlight treatment with a hard square line. Plus the light sits sort of on the side of the front. The rear deck is too short for a sedan. The overall look just doesn't flow well. It's fighting against itself. That chrome moulding....I don't get it.
Second, I want the ride to be a combination of luxury and sport. Doesn't have to be super fast but the power needs to be on demand. GS3 was way too floaty in the curves feeling as if it would topple over and the 245 hp seems like it's really 170. Probably because of the weight and the smart tranny. It thinks too much....trying to make adjustments. GS4 was plenty fast enough but still too floaty. I know I'm used to a SC3 with wide tires and Teins but remember, I also drive my wifes 99 ES. Only mod is 17 wheels with 235-45 Michelins. The gs is only slightly better than our es...very slightly. Let me define what I mean by floaty. WHen you change lanes at high speed, you want the rest of the car to respond immediately to your input. Point the wheel, car does it. When you turn a curve you want less body roll. I want the car to feel like several components operating as one unit, it doesn't feel that way to me. I like sportiness with luxury. GS is luxury with a hint of sport. Sheer hp is not it. It's driver interface/interaction with the car.
Interior, I was very comfortable in the car. Only criticism is the rubber dash. But it looks like a lot of cars are using this. Everything else is pure luxury...too much for me but I could live with it.
I hope this helps. Believe me, it's a sweet car. Just not for me.
I just read this and if you just said the GS is slightly better than 99 ES, sorry, you killed all your crediblity. Your review is almost the exact opposite of every professional review.
Old 03-05-05, 12:13 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I have to say is change is good look what it did to all of you guy's likes and dislikes that's what makes it so fun to each is own . I have to say pictures do this car no justice you have to see it first hand to really enjoy the new GS Like they said at LEXUS "THE NEXT PHENOMENON"

Quick Reply: Love it or Hate it: New GS DESIGN