GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What do you think is the coolest feature of the new GS???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-05, 07:33 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What do you think is the coolest feature of the new GS???

I think this is just AWESOME.

Very James Bondish.

Anyone else?
Old 02-20-05, 07:43 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Great Pic 007

Thanks for your post as there have been a few questions about the features on the panel. The sonar intuitive parking assist button is there whether or not the car is equipped with that option. Same with the rear sunshade switch to the right of the Park assist button. The only button left blank is the passenger ejector seat switch which requires special clearance......
Old 02-20-05, 07:53 PM
carminesc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey cliffud

what model 300/430? did you take that photo of the drop down panel in. my panel is opposite of that photo. my sunshade is on the upper left hand side. kind of interesting.
Old 02-20-05, 08:20 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Could someone go line by line from the top left to right and tell me what all these buttons are for?? Thanks.

I too think this is really cool feature.
Old 02-20-05, 08:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
Thanks for your post as there have been a few questions about the features on the panel. The sonar intuitive parking assist button is there whether or not the car is equipped with that option. Same with the rear sunshade switch to the right of the Park assist button. The only button left blank is the passenger ejector seat switch which requires special clearance......
The sonar parking is definitely a plus in my books. Also love the new Mark Levinson system.

I always though the blank button was Super Pursuit Mode?
Old 02-20-05, 08:44 PM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Default Drop Box

The drop box pictued above is not from a US model, notice the door on the right and the buttons are backwards compared to a US model.

Blank - Adaptive Front headlamp System - Parking Assist - Rear sunshade

Reset Odmeter - Trip - Fold Rearview Mirrors - Headlight Washers

Adjust instrument lighting - Mirror controls

Trunk - Gas

Did I miss any, get any wrong?
Old 02-20-05, 09:09 PM
carminesc
Rookie

Default best feature so far....

i really like the levinson system. although more powerful bass would be perfect this system blows any other premium factory systems away.

also agree with flip, the park assist is probably the second coolest feature on the car. before i got the car i figured it would be annoying and seldom used, but i love it and i leave it on permanently.
Old 02-20-05, 10:37 PM
YL06GS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Electronic Key!!

This thing knows everything! Grab the driver door handle while carrying the E.K. the door unlocks. Grab the back door all doors unlock. Leave E.K. in the trunk alarm beeps and leaves trunk unlock to retrieve.

In the car E.K. knows push start and away you go. Leave E.K. in car and try to lock door, not going to happen.

Program to open 1 door, 2 doors, 3 Doors or all 4.

Roll down windows, sound a alarm, open the truck.

This one little thing does so much it has 28 pages in the Owner's Manual just for it.

"That's all I have to say about that"
Old 02-20-05, 11:59 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I have a question. I did not notice this pop out feature when I sat in the car. When you press the buttons does the thing seem solidly planted or does it kind of bounce up and down? Since they are common features used often like gas and trunk release, mirrors etc I am concerned with repeated use over the years it may become loose of break or get damaged.
Old 02-21-05, 06:41 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Angry

does anyone know what happens if the key fob dies? From what i know, it has a battery inside. What does the key fob allow access to? How do i know when to replace the battery? Is there a sound that starts coming out? What will happen if the battery died and im out of town and theres no way for me to get in the car? How will i be able to start the car then, on a dead key fob?

I went to a dealer yesterday. His exact words were. "The key fob is used for starting the engine, gaianing access to the vehicle, opening closing trunk, and sounding a security alarm. If the battery dies, which will happen in about 3-4 years (depending on average utility), you will not be able to gain access thry keyless access, but the embedded key in the Fob - u can take that out and open the door and unlock the car to gain access. Once inside you can open the trunk manually through pushign the button for it. The alaram will be dead because of the battery and you cant do anythign about that unless the battery is replaced. As far as starting the car, you simply cannot. The fob is needed to send a signal to a sensor int he car which knows of your presence. But once that fob is dead, it cant relay the signal from its transponder. Thus, unfortunately there is no way to start the vehicle, and there is no way to know when the battery dies...it doesnt beam or signal in any way - it will just happen after a matter of time from it being utilized. You will then obviously need to bring the car in someway or get it towed to the dealership to get a another fob made. It will cost only $2"

After he told me this, i was puzzled, and pissed off from inside. Puzzled because i think i read somewhere that this fob works differently. Pissed off because if what he said is actually fact, then this is a poor job lexus did with the fob as far as its effectiveness. And with no secondary solution/alternative that will at least allow you to start the car some other way?

Can someone plz tell me the correct details on this key fob.

Old 02-21-05, 06:49 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
does anyone know what happens if the key fob dies? From what i know, it has a battery inside. What does the key fob allow access to? How do i know when to replace the battery? Is there a sound that starts coming out? What will happen if the battery died and im out of town and theres no way for me to get in the car? How will i be able to start the car then, on a dead key fob?

I went to a dealer yesterday. His exact words were. "The key fob is used for starting the engine, gaianing access to the vehicle, opening closing trunk, and sounding a security alarm. If the battery dies, which will happen in about 3-4 years (depending on average utility), you will not be able to gain access thry keyless access, but the embedded key in the Fob - u can take that out and open the door and unlock the car to gain access. Once inside you can open the trunk manually through pushign the button for it. The alaram will be dead because of the battery and you cant do anythign about that unless the battery is replaced. As far as starting the car, you simply cannot. The fob is needed to send a signal to a sensor int he car which knows of your presence. But once that fob is dead, it cant relay the signal from its transponder. Thus, unfortunately there is no way to start the vehicle, and there is no way to know when the battery dies...it doesnt beam or signal in any way - it will just happen after a matter of time from it being utilized. You will then obviously need to bring the car in someway or get it towed to the dealership to get a another fob made. It will cost only $2"

After he told me this, i was puzzled, and pissed off from inside. Puzzled because i think i read somewhere that this fob works differently. Pissed off because if what he said is actually fact, then this is a poor job lexus did with the fob as far as its effectiveness. And with no secondary solution/alternative that will at least allow you to start the car some other way?

Can someone plz tell me the correct details on this key fob.

As long as you sell the car within the next 3 years, then YOU shouldn't have a problem.
Old 02-21-05, 08:24 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by cliffud
I think this is just AWESOME.

Very James Bondish.

Anyone else?
Why is it backwards? Is this a right hand drive vehicle?
Old 02-21-05, 08:31 AM
biker
Lead Lap

I have a feeling that's not quite right. On the Infiniti M there's a regular ignition keyhole under the Start/Stop push button for just this case. The key in the key fob goes in there and starts the car. Isn't this all spelled out in the manual?
Old 02-21-05, 08:45 AM
Alex K
Driver School Candidate

Don't be pissed off. Lexus didn't screw up. Two suggestions...

1) As the battery begins to die, you'll probably find a few times the car won't detect the fob and so won't unlock. It's like the plipper on my current car - when the battery's getting close to the end of its life, I have to press the unlock button a few times to get it to work. Then you know it's time to change the battery.
2) Batteries are cheap. Keep a spare in the glovebox. That way, if the battery dies when you're out, you can still get in the car and change the battery yourself. And I bet Lexus made that easy to do, too.

In fact, isn't there a little LED on the fob itself? Maybe it can actually warn you when the battery's getting low...
Old 02-21-05, 08:46 AM
Alex K
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Longo Lexus
Why is it backwards? Is this a right hand drive vehicle?
Yes, it's right hand drive, but no, it isn't backwards. Only LHD cars are backwards.

Quick Reply: What do you think is the coolest feature of the new GS???