GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3rd Gen GS300 UK specification

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-05, 08:22 AM
Alex K
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gen GS300 UK specification

I know this forum is mostly US-based, but I figured there still might be a few Brits reading up on 3rd Gen GS info, and some of you US guys might be interested in this.

My Lexus dealer gave me a call yesterday and suggested I dropped in on my way home. He'd just received the full specification lists for UK GS300 models. I've asked him to make me a copy of the bits he's allowed, but the key points I can remember are...

There are three main spec levels - S, SE and SE-L.
S is the entry level and has fabric seats, and goes without satnav, auto wipers, parking sensors, rear camera, etc.

SE is set to be the most popular model, and includes as standard:
  • satellite navigation with Electronic Traffic Avoidance
  • Bluetooth phone integration
  • parking sensors front and rear
  • reversing camera
  • rain sensing wipers
  • automatic headlights
  • adaptive front lighting (AFS)
  • tyre pressure monitoring
  • leather seats, ventilated and heated
  • leather steering wheel (not wood)
  • smart key
  • cruise control (not adapative)
  • soft close boot lid (trunk)
  • LED rear lamp clusters
  • 17" alloy wheels
  • 10 speaker hi-fi with in-dash 6 disc changer
  • rear power sunshade

Of interest to people like me (I'm 6ft 4ins tall), the SE is available in two models, either with or without a sunroof.

The SE-L adds the Mark Levinson hi-fi, 18" alloy wheels and a rear spoiler. Sunroof is standard, while Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Pre-Crash Safety System (PCS) are available as options.

There will be three interior leather themes - ivory with birds eye maple, ash with black birds eye maple, and black with walnut.

All GS300s sold in the UK are RWD (AWD not available). The 3.0-litre V6 over here is rated at 245bhp, with 0-62mph pegged at 7.2 seconds and economy on the combined cycle at 28.8mpg (remember that's UK gallons).

The GS430 will be available slightly later than the 300. Adaptive suspension will be standard on the GS430, but won't be available on the GS300. The GS430 will get the new VDIM system, while the GS300 will make do with the revised VSC.

No prices until the end of March, and the official launch is April 15th.

Colours are (with their US equivalents):-

St Lucia Pearl (US: Crystal White)
Caspian Sky (US: Glacier Frost Mica)
Palladio Silver (US: Mercury Metallic)
Astral Black (US: Black Onyx)
Mesa Red (US: Matador Red Mica)
Kalahari Sand (US: Chardonnay Pearl)
Boreal Green (US: Cypress Pearl)
Canterbury Blue (US: Blue Onyx Pearl)
Athabasca Shale (US: Quartz Shadow Metallic)

** NO FLINT MICA! **

EDIT: Lexus GB finally responded to my question of why Flint Mica (aka Anthracite Grey in Europe, or Aleutian Grey here in the UK) is not currently offered. They said there was no specific reason, but went on to say "...however if the market dictates greater demand we will endeavour to add this colour." So, any UK-based prospective GS owners who want their missing tenth colour reinstated in the shade chart should head on over to http://www.lexus.co.uk/contact.php?area=contact and register their request.

Last edited by Alex K; 04-26-05 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Updated the Flint Mica saga
Old 02-18-05, 08:31 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Damn. How come we cant get the Traffic Aviodance and Power door closers.
Old 02-18-05, 08:34 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Wow...they get electronic traffic avoidance - the same thing that is in the new RL. Even the Fully loaded new GS's dont have that here in the US, but they have it in the UK? mindboggling particularly since it woul dbe helpful in some regions of the US.
Old 02-18-05, 08:39 AM
LexFather

Thanks for posting. I will be picking up my usual Top Gear, Car and EVO when they review the GS. I wonder if Clarkson will get his hands on it.
Old 02-18-05, 08:47 AM
Alex K
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
Wow...they get electronic traffic avoidance - the same thing that is in the new RL. Even the Fully loaded new GS's dont have that here in the US, but they have it in the UK? mindboggling particularly since it woul dbe helpful in some regions of the US.
The RX300 over here has it, too. It relies on ETA traffic information sent over the RDS radio system, which I didn't think was available in the US. But then if it's on the RL...
Old 02-18-05, 09:20 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet they keep that feature for the new LS redesign in the US.
Old 02-18-05, 09:41 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Still, if you compare an apples to apples comparison between the new GS and other cars in its class...the new RL for example, you still get "more" from the RL. The RL fully loaded is about 50,000 +TTL. This means bluetooth, nav, xm nav traffic, keyless access smartkey, HID, Premium Bose surround sound, perforated leather. The fully loaded GS is about exactly the same price. But you dont get the nav traffic feature that the RL does come with. Everythign else is in terms of features and options is the same. Right? And plus it has the SH-AWD. Hmm the RL does seem to be a better value int his respect comparing against a fully equipped GS RWD, and about 2K cheaper than an AWD GS. Am i correct?
Old 02-18-05, 09:54 AM
BugattiT59
Rookie

Smile

I have heard that the RL is already going for 2K off MSRP in CA and TX. Say 4 months after lauch. I doubt that will be the case with the GS in 4 months time.

On other forums, I have read about RL wishlists from owners, most seem to be happy with that they have, of course we all want more/better things.

Off-hand I have
RL backseat is smaller, I have sat in back of GS and RL.
RL is not that distinctive on the road, for some that is good, for me not good.
I prefer the GS simpler interior, I would prefer a little more wood on the passenger side though.
RL is reportedly a little slower and doesnt feel like 300hp, I haven't driven either yet so I am no expert.
I have read reports of 16mpg for the RL ecomomy. Of course, I haven't read any real-world reports of GS-AWD mpg yet.
RL passenger seat does not get (power) up/down. I bet they fix that this coming year.
Dont think the RL gets rain-sensing wipers.

When TL gets SH-AWD, it will be interesting to see impact on RL sales. Same could be said when IS gets AWD, any impact on GS AWD sales?
I have read issues with the real-time traffic info on RL. I like the idea of waiting a while for this technology to settle-down.

Almost forgot, Can the RL play mp3s? I believe the GS cannot based on CL reports, but I have not seen an official word on this.

Last edited by BugattiT59; 02-18-05 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-18-05, 10:47 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alex K
I know this forum is mostly US-based, but I figured there still might be a few Brits reading up on 3rd Gen GS info, and some of you US guys might be interested in this.

My Lexus dealer gave me a call yesterday and suggested I dropped in on my way home. He'd just received the full specification lists for UK GS300 models. I've asked him to make me a copy of the bits he's allowed, but the key points I can remember are...

There are three main spec levels - S, SE and SE-L.
S is the entry level and has fabric seats.
SE is set to be the most popular model, and includes as standard:
  • satellite navigation with Electronic Traffic Avoidance
  • Bluetooth phone integration
  • parking sensors front and rear
  • reversing camera
  • rain sensing wipers
  • automatic headlights
  • adaptive front lighting (AFS)
  • tyre pressure monitoring
  • leather seats, ventilated and heated
  • smart key
  • power door closers (all doors, as far as we can tell)
  • LED rear lamp clusters
  • 17" alloy wheels
  • 10 speaker hi-fi with in-dash 6 disc changer

Of interest to people like me (I'm 6ft 4ins tall), the SE is available in two models, either with or without a sunroof.

The SE-L adds the Mark Levinson hi-fi, Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and the Pre-Crash Safety System (PCS). I think there are a couple of other things in here, but nothing major.

There will be three interior leather themes - ivory with birds eye maple, ash with black birds eye maple, and black with walnut.

All GS300s sold in the UK are RWD (AWD not available). The 3.0-litre V6 over here is rated at 245bhp, with 0-62mph pegged at 7.2 seconds and economy on the combined cycle at 28.8mpg (remember that's UK gallons).

The GS430 won't initially be available, but will come on stream later. Adaptive suspension will be standard on the GS430, but won't be available on the GS300. The GS430 will get the new VDIM system, while the GS300 will make do with the revised VSC.

No prices until the end of March, and the official launch is April 15th.

That's all I can remember, but if I get more info, I'll update here if people are interested.
In Holland they have different names but the spec seems to be the same.
Old 02-18-05, 10:48 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks for posting. I will be picking up my usual Top Gear, Car and EVO when they review the GS. I wonder if Clarkson will get his hands on it.
The guys at TG haven't allways been good to lexus.
I remember the SC430 got killed last year.
Old 02-18-05, 11:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Any word on the pricing? I guess I will find out at Geneva...
Old 02-18-05, 11:43 AM
Itsuki_23
Rookie

Will the European GS have same 100% same Mark Levinson that US? I mean will European ML play DVD movies in 7.1 surround and will it have 10 inch sub?
Old 02-18-05, 12:11 PM
Alex K
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
Any word on the pricing? I guess I will find out at Geneva...
My dealer isn't expecting UK pricing until the end of March, although they are taking £1,000 refundable deposits to secure a place in the queue.

Originally Posted by Itsuki_23
Will the European GS have same 100% same Mark Levinson that US? I mean will European ML play DVD movies in 7.1 surround and will it have 10 inch sub?
I don't have any reason to suspect that the systems will be anything other than identical. Note that Lexus have been kind enough to continue to relocate the volume control for RHD, so it's still next to the driver.
Old 03-28-05, 04:07 AM
Alex K
Driver School Candidate

UK Pricing has been available for a while now, but I thought I'd update this thread for those that are interested:-

GS300 - £30,395.00
GS300 SE - £35,895.00
GS300 SE and Sunroof - £36,745.00
GS300 SE-L - £37,995.00
GS300 SE-L and ACC / PCS - £40,095.00
GS430 - £46,750.00

Most dealers should have had their cars delivered by now, ready for the April 15th launch, and some have parked them in the showrooms for people to see. There's a test-drive embargo in force at the moment, however.

I've since found out that the rear power sunshade is standard on the SE upwards.
Old 03-28-05, 04:14 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alex K
UK Pricing has been available for a while now, but I thought I'd update this thread for those that are interested:-

GS300 - £30,395.00
GS300 SE - £35,895.00
GS300 SE and Sunroof - £36,745.00
GS300 SE-L - £37,995.00
GS300 SE-L and ACC / PCS - £40,095.00
GS430 - £46,750.00

Most dealers should have had their cars delivered by now, ready for the April 15th launch, and some have parked them in the showrooms for people to see. There's a test-drive embargo in force at the moment, however.

I've since found out that the rear power sunshade is standard on the SE upwards.
Those prices are pretty good.
Cheaper then we get over here.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen GS300 UK specification