GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

very depress -- my gs4 :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-03, 05:24 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So where are the pictures?
Old 09-13-03, 10:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Pianoman72 - omg, that's ugly! but yeah, honestly you should have handled it differently. got her info, follow her, call the cop, pull her over and file a hit and run report. that's immediate felony charge on her, she will be crying right in front of you!

link13 - hey matt, sup! yeah i just hope it's going to be as quick as possible. i hate going through all these hassles... did that once with my ex acura, and i really don't wanna talk to those people as much as possible

RMMGS4 - you have a very good point, maybe i should bring my camera along with me more. and man, i don't have that many cars as you do, rain or not, it's one car for me!

doug_999 - i am going to wash my car tomorrow, so pics to come. man, this is going to be the first time i don't feel like the pics i am posting up
Old 09-13-03, 11:35 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw the car today and it was not as bad as I thought. It was not good but I though I'd be but I was just
Old 09-14-03, 12:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Neo
I saw the car today and it was not as bad as I thought. It was not good but I though I'd be but I was just
hey hey, how come the smilie hahhaa... yeah it's good that it's only 1 panel, otherwise i don't know how i am going to bring the car to the meet
Old 09-14-03, 12:57 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Many of you say to call the police in an accident. Does it have to be a minor one or major one? Also would 911 work ? Had to ask that because I probably wouldn't have the police number handy... Thanks..
Old 09-14-03, 01:20 PM
darkhorse
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy sorry to see this crap man.........

Hey rominl:

Really sorry to hear about that man. Try to take it easy and constructively walk towards solution. WHich is basically get your car back in action better and badder than it was before!

For these and many other reasons I park as FAR AWAY as possible from the main action at any mall. I try to find corners where at least one side of the car physically can't be abutted by another car.

I know that's especially hard to do what with your female being genetically incapable of walking one microsecond more than 15 seconds from the car door to the front door of the mall (something on their second X chromosome I think) but I just can't take chances man.

(Hey any females out there, please take it easy on the darkhorse will yaz???)

As far as calling the police goes, that depends on your experience with insurance. I was involved in a situation where someone hit me in a minor way (fortunately I haven't hit someone else mainly due to God's graces, not cuz I'm any great kinda driver, I used to be CRAZY!) and we both decided that we would pay cash out of our own pockets and keep insurers out of it. Basically we kept an honour code between him and me. It was cool.

I've also not called insurers for window chips and a host of other things my insurance allegedly covers. I only pay the insurance company to put the car on the road and nothing else.

My experience has been that you don't mess around with the banks and insurance companies and if there's any way you can settle things mano a mano (or mano a womano in this case rominl!) it pays off in the long run.

And you may think that by bringing a cop in they would charge someone (hopefully the other party if they're guilty) so fault could be assigned. But again, in my experience, the more people you bring in the risk goes up exponentially cuz you don't know which way they'll go. They're all human and therefore prone to irrational behaviour.

Unlike us here in CL.

Anywho, my advice is bring the cops in only if the damage is in the high thousands and/or if you and the other party simply can't work it out on the downlow.

BTW, I wanted to big up CL again cuz I'm looking for advice for my Dad's e38 740i (regarding m-parallel spoke wheel upgrade and some cosmetic exterior stuff he wants done) and I'm gettin' NO LOVE out there. CL wouldn't leave a guy hangin' like that ya know?

Sheesh..................

Take care boyz,

Paul

99 GS400 BLACK ON BLACK
Old 09-14-03, 01:27 PM
darkhorse
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy sorry to see this crap man.........

Hey rominl:

Really sorry to hear about that man. Try to take it easy and constructively walk towards solution. WHich is basically get your car back in action better and badder than it was before!

For these and many other reasons I park as FAR AWAY as possible from the main action at any mall. I try to find corners where at least one side of the car physically can't be abutted by another car.

I know that's especially hard to do what with your female being genetically incapable of walking one microsecond more than 15 seconds from the car door to the front door of the mall (something on their second X chromosome I think) but I just can't take chances man.

(Hey any females out there, please take it easy on the darkhorse will yaz???)

As far as calling the police goes, that depends on your experience with insurance. I was involved in a situation where someone hit me in a minor way (fortunately I haven't hit someone else mainly due to God's graces, not cuz I'm any great kinda driver, I used to be CRAZY!) and we both decided that we would pay cash out of our own pockets and keep insurers out of it. Basically we kept an honour code between him and me. It was cool.

I've also not called insurers for window chips and a host of other things my insurance allegedly covers. I only pay the insurance company to put the car on the road and nothing else.

My experience has been that you don't mess around with the banks and insurance companies and if there's any way you can settle things mano a mano (or mano a womano in this case rominl!) it pays off in the long run.

And you may think that by bringing a cop in they would charge someone (hopefully the other party if they're guilty) so fault could be assigned. But again, in my experience, the more people you bring in the risk goes up exponentially cuz you don't know which way they'll go. They're all human and therefore prone to irrational behaviour.

Unlike us here in CL.

Anywho, my advice is bring the cops in only if the damage is in the high thousands and/or if you and the other party simply can't work it out on the downlow.

BTW, I wanted to big up CL again cuz I'm looking for advice for my Dad's e38 740i (regarding m-parallel spoke wheel upgrade and some cosmetic exterior stuff he wants done) and I'm gettin' NO LOVE out there. CL wouldn't leave a guy hangin' like that ya know?

Sheesh..................

Take care boyz,

Paul

99 GS400 BLACK ON BLACK
Old 09-14-03, 01:40 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

My insurance card says not to talk about whose fault it is on the card. What happens then??
Old 09-14-03, 01:51 PM
darkhorse
Driver School Candidate

Default always a judgement call

Hey LexusAristo:

Although insurance companies talk about "no fault" and "at fault" the fact of the matter is if you're involved in several mishaps, even if you were COMPLETELY and PROVABLY not at fault your risk in their eyes goes up.

An old friend of mine had some really back luck and her Golf was rear-ended TWICE in one year.

Guess what, her insurance went up!

Say what?

Yeah, there was no way she could've been at fault sitting at a red and getting bonked from behind right? But she claimed, and the second you're not "claims free" you are no longer a 6 or 7 star driver. Rate hike time!

Pathetic eh?

Anyway, the long and the short of it is use your judgement and your instincts. If it is clear that the repairs can be done for less than a grand and it's mainly cosmetic AND you are both willing to exchange all info (licensing and insuring) in case your relationship goes south PLUS you have a good feeling about the other party (I know you can be fooled) then maybe you can get away without calling in third parties (cops and banks). ALso, ensure the other party is in your district. If they live far away it can be difficult.

If you have ANY questions or suspicions and your VIBE is off about the other party then you MUST get third parties involved because you have to protect yourself at that point.

In my case we looked each other in the eye, kept communication every day constant until we shook on the agreement and the cars were repaired and the bills were paid.

There's no doubt in my mind that if we had gone to cops and banks both our insurance rates would have gone up more than what we paid out in repairs PLUS our records stayed clean.

Paul

99 GS400 BLACK ON BLACK
Old 09-14-03, 09:30 PM
xerox
Rookie

I feel your pain, I got rear ended 3 times in my car and side swiped once, good thing i don't have any after market parts for it yet..

hope everything goes well for you though, as im sure they will

yeah accidents are a big pain in the ***
Old 09-14-03, 09:53 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by xerox

yeah accidents are a big pain in the ***
Especially when you get rear ended !

Last edited by RMMGS4; 09-14-03 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-14-03, 11:24 PM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexusAristo
Many of you say to call the police in an accident. Does it have to be a minor one or major one? Also would 911 work ? Had to ask that because I probably wouldn't have the police number handy... Thanks..
I was rear-ended about 4 yrs ago (in my previous car). Called the police (the Police Station, not 911) and was told they will not respond unless there is an injury from the accident.

This happened in Fremont - NorCal.
Old 09-14-03, 11:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by kts_GS3
I was rear-ended about 4 yrs ago (in my previous car). Called the police (the Police Station, not 911) and was told they will not respond unless there is an injury from the accident.

This happened in Fremont - NorCal.
same to socal, they said unless someone is injured, they can't do anything. but since the other party didn't give me the info, it could be classified as hit and run, so they came

darkhorse, i know what you are saying, and i agree with you to some extend. if we could have treated it outside it would be great of course, but with that lady being so freaking nice and thought that i was sooo UNINVOLVED in the accident, i had no choice
Old 09-15-03, 06:07 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PLEASE DAIL 911 for cars related stuff! Seriously, I live outside of Philly, PA. Reared end this guy in a station wagon, no cellphone, found 35 cents, called the station... was told not to call there again, instead, if i want a police @ the scene of the accident, call 911. I tried to explain to the officer @ the station that there is NO NEED FOR 911 dispatch, noone injured, just need the cop to do the report.... NO COP FOR YOU, CALL 911!

This show how wasteful of much needed resources....

I feel you...

chuck n
Old 09-15-03, 10:07 AM
darkhorse
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up you did the right thing rominl!

Originally posted by rominl
same to socal, they said unless someone is injured, they can't do anything. but since the other party didn't give me the info, it could be classified as hit and run, so they came

darkhorse, i know what you are saying, and i agree with you to some extend. if we could have treated it outside it would be great of course, but with that lady being so freaking nice and thought that i was sooo UNINVOLVED in the accident, i had no choice
Hey rominl:

Of course, in your situation you did the only thing you could do.

This should be yet another lesson in human nature to all of us here. I swear the longer I live the more I realize that the MAJORITY (not minority) of people on this planet are NOT playing with a full deck if you know what I mean! Your other party sounds like a nutjob/freakshow rominl!

I should have been more explicit earlier, you should watch for inconsistencies and of course bald faced lies with the other party as you work through the incident. If they're nuts (which is generally the case) they end up believing the story they spun in the first place so they could get out of the jam they created in the first place. Then you go by the book 100% if that's the case.

That said, it is very true that what goes around comes around rominl and there IS justice (even though it rarely comes from the court system) and iron laws operate the universe IMHO. If you can somehow handle this with class and dignity and pursue the TRUTH of the situation, good things will happen for you and your soul in the long run.

I'm gonna get off my high horse now!

Take care guys, talk to ya later,

Paul

99 GS400 BLACK ON BLACK

Quick Reply: very depress -- my gs4 :(