GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

doesn't this drive you nutz! (door dings and blemishes)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-03, 07:20 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default doesn't this drive you nutz!

After a couple of months, I started to recently notice a few dings and blemishes on my GS. This sorta things drives me nuts!...I dont even want to continue to mod the GS after noticing these types of things. I have this one little ding by the door handle, it drives me *&^%$ing mad, and the one on the hood, sucks the same. Has anyone experienced these type of problems, if so explain your story and tell what you did to get it fixed, ot how mad it drove you?

thanks.
Old 08-06-03, 07:41 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

I just took mine to a Dent Wizard shop. Got all of 'em out, can't even tell they were there.

Doesn't drive me nuts any more after having the car for almost five years now.... I don't like it, but if you park your car near others it's going to happen.
Old 08-06-03, 07:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Doesn't bother me at all. Unless you never drive your car, it's gonna get dings. Get over it.
Old 08-06-03, 07:48 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

I know what you mean, I have a dent on my front passenger side. Unfortunately, the dent is a couple inches below the window and there is a bracket in the back and it cannot be removed using paintless dent removal process (that's what I was told). Has to go to a body shop. Went to Longo to get estimate...$900!
Old 08-06-03, 07:49 PM
Straight6
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i hate 'em too..that's why i'm careful where i park....
but if you think that's bad.. try parking your car in the streets here in NY...
talk bout getting your bumpers wrecked......
Old 08-06-03, 08:44 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i know xactly what u mean, i have a few dings that have happen recently..still deciding what 2 do with them.
Old 08-06-03, 08:46 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Thank GOD the dealer put a nice ding in my car before I picked it up. I can only imagine how it feels to get that first ding. But thanks to Arlington Lexus, no worries!

Doug

PS - if you do ever buy a car from them and they promise to fix something like say a DOOR DING, get it in writing.
Old 08-06-03, 10:01 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure they do.. ..

that is why i have my own "parking" strategy..BUT, there are still haters in this world
Old 08-07-03, 12:02 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Default Re: doesn't this drive you nutz!

Originally posted by Lettuce
I dont even want to continue to mod the GS after noticing these types of things.
That's one of the reasons I pretty much stick to modding the go-fast and handling areas only. It would drive me bonkers to put money into body mods only to end up with the usual door dings and gravel divots.
Old 08-07-03, 04:57 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default dings

I take ALOT of care to park where I won't get dinged, but at work it is tough, so a bunch of us who actually care about the 30 large + we've spent on our cars, try to all park next to each other to keep the careless morons away.

I'd say I'm much more careful of my GS than the GX, but a few weeks ago (12 hours after I got it) some moron opend his door into the GX, scratching the paint on the fender flare....I saw him do it form inside the IHOP, but wasn't sure from the angle how hard he hit me. When I got out there after I absolutely LOST control (something I NEVER do). I went out of my way to park on an end spot and practically curbed my rims to get as far over to the curb as possible, leaving PLENTY of room on the other side (so I thought) this IDIOT (that I saw from inside had pulled into the spot across the line into my space and that's when I realized the damage to my door - paint chipped to the primer.

What happened next was sheer rage and I am ashamed for doing it, because I think it is one of the worst offenses one can commit being a car lover, but I was so angry that this person was so careless AFTER I went out of my way yo leave extra room...coupled with the fact that my GX was only 12 ours old...I keyed his door....I know, I know that is totally screwed and I shouldn't have done it, but I was provoked by the carelessnees of this idot into doing it.
Old 08-07-03, 06:48 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Feel your pain(t)!

I feel your pain(t) brother! However, under no circumstance one would be allowed to key someone else's car.... I'm soooo sorry for your loss but now there are two (2) suffered persons out there in the world. IMO!
I wouldn't key his car, just call the cops, get his insurance, if he doesn't have one, THEN, only then you can go ahead and beat the living $#it out of him and his p.o.s. ride. Of course, after the cops leave! Write down this number, notice where he lives and do the dirty deed @ a later time. I would wait for a week or more, "Awaited revenge is a sweet reward and satisfaction"!!!!
Old 08-07-03, 09:03 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

chuckisc
I don't understand - you basically say "Two wrongs don't make a right" and then go on to say that you should kick his a..?

Johnny Mo - Unfortunately I have done the same thing (sought revenge just like you did) - felt terrible about it afterwards - especially as my wife pointed out that two wrongs don't make a right. But still, THE CARLESS DOLT HIT YOUR BRAND NEW CAR!

I'll share one more story with everyone. My wife was at the store on a windy day recently. She put our daughter into the car and then heard this lound bang followed by a OH SH.T. She went over to the drivers side to see a car backing out. She stopped them and the passenger confessed that the door had gotten away from her and it wasn't really her fault since it was the wind that did it. My wife went ballistic and then the driver said "What do you care lady, you drive a Lexus, you're rich"

Personally if I had been there, I would have taken the chuckisc approach at that point. People just don't care.
Old 08-07-03, 09:27 AM
dbox
Driver

Default Re: dings

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
I take ALOT of care to park where I won't get dinged, but at work it is tough, so a bunch of us who actually care about the 30 large + we've spent on our cars, try to all park next to each other to keep the careless morons away.

I'd say I'm much more careful of my GS than the GX, but a few weeks ago (12 hours after I got it) some moron opend his door into the GX, scratching the paint on the fender flare....I saw him do it form inside the IHOP, but wasn't sure from the angle how hard he hit me. When I got out there after I absolutely LOST control (something I NEVER do). I went out of my way to park on an end spot and practically curbed my rims to get as far over to the curb as possible, leaving PLENTY of room on the other side (so I thought) this IDIOT (that I saw from inside had pulled into the spot across the line into my space and that's when I realized the damage to my door - paint chipped to the primer.

What happened next was sheer rage and I am ashamed for doing it, because I think it is one of the worst offenses one can commit being a car lover, but I was so angry that this person was so careless AFTER I went out of my way yo leave extra room...coupled with the fact that my GX was only 12 ours old...I keyed his door....I know, I know that is totally screwed and I shouldn't have done it, but I was provoked by the carelessnees of this idot into doing it.

i never fu*k with another mans ride UNTIL they mess with mine 1st. i have been known to leave some people with 4 flats for messing with either of my cars.
Old 08-07-03, 09:28 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by doug_999
chuckisc
I don't understand - you basically say "Two wrongs don't make a right" and then go on to say that you should kick his a..?
Sorry for the confusion! If it were me, I would call the cops first, then see how it turns out... If it didn't turn out as you want it and to your advantage, then, only then, you can key his car, or do whatever you please to him... Basically, you have the right to defends your properties through legal system or not-so-legal system But, I wouldn't key his car before I try my best to resolve the issue in a peaceful way. All you really want is "results" not revenge!

@$$ kicking is always the last resource right?

Again, I'm feeling your pain*(t) man!
Old 08-07-03, 10:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

There's just no justification for getting that angry over a door or fender or any other ding.

And keying someone else's car or just getting really angry will not make you feel any better.

Quick Reply: doesn't this drive you nutz! (door dings and blemishes)