GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 10:52 AM
ShaiKmai
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to mess around with the a/c filter under my cd changer for my 00 gs300 to clean it out and.......... NO FILTER!! My dealership will be hearing from me soon
Old 09-07-06, 04:06 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

I was washing my GS earlier today and decided to clean out the A/C filter. Daaamn that thing was nasty! I ended up replacing it with a new one, I don't think anyone ever cleaned or replaced yet.

Also moved down the wipers, looks much much cleaner. Thanks for the heads up!!

Last edited by SoCal_VIP; 09-07-06 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-07-06, 05:24 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jesod
Mine is a 99 GS400 with the Pioneer stock, "Lexus Premium Sound" written on the front. If anyone else wants to chime in and describe what these particular adjustments do, if you like them, any additional insights etc. My friend that owns a 98 told me about these settings and I have written down pretty much everything that I know in my past posts about this. Has anyone else done this and liked this or am I just eating Crazy Cookies.

I just tried it on an 02 Sportdesign with the Premium Sound stereo.
After getting the P190 screen, if I use the seek track button I get these codes.
Chec
P360
old
p440
old
p190

If I hit the 2 while p190 is up I get _p190. Now I hit the seek button and I get

code
1-01
1-de
1-360
1-ic
1-04
_p190

When I hit the 1 button I get three confirming beeps and it takes me back to p190.
Then I have to shut off the car and start over.

Weird stuff man. Anyone have a shop manual?
Old 09-11-06, 08:28 AM
Krupski2
Driver

Yeah, I also recently changed my AC filter, it was gross.

I will have to play with the wipers.
Old 09-12-06, 09:44 AM
dcentric
Driver

I looked as well and am confused about what to pull out of the dash ... help
Old 09-12-06, 10:04 AM
DruMnBaSS
Lead Lap

im not gettin the whole stereo adj thing... i dont have 1& 6 buttons... mines a 98 pioneer stereo.. am i outa luck?
Old 09-12-06, 10:11 AM
dcentric
Driver

I found a good string on this in the ES group. It applies to the GS as well as i just verified it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167521
Old 09-12-06, 12:26 PM
jesod
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DruMnBaSS
im not gettin the whole stereo adj thing... i dont have 1& 6 buttons... mines a 98 pioneer stereo.. am i outa luck?
You don't have 1 and 6 buttons for radio presets? If it's nav you have to follow the procedures mentioned in the posts above. If you don't have nav. push the 1 and the 6 on the radio presets and push CD 4 times release everything once you see P190 and then hold the AM until Audio comes up, then adjust according to suggestions in previous posts.
Old 09-12-06, 02:38 PM
DruMnBaSS
Lead Lap

Talking

Originally Posted by jesod
You don't have 1 and 6 buttons for radio presets? If it's nav you have to follow the procedures mentioned in the posts above. If you don't have nav. push the 1 and the 6 on the radio presets and push CD 4 times release everything once you see P190 and then hold the AM until Audio comes up, then adjust according to suggestions in previous posts.
LOL my baad... was totaly having a brain fart at work...

so since im an audio freak... i pushed every button .. here it is

once you get to the AUDIO menu you have 2 options.. your FM button will give you P1 P2 and L... these settings control the EQ. i personally not wanting to push my up button 275 times. went backwards from 0 to 275 0 to 175 for the P2 and 0 to 20 for the L... WOWOWOWOW.... does my audio sound better and deeper... it is however not very very HUGE as to going to your good ol audio button and turning up the GAIN on BASS, MID, HI.... HOWEVER my ears tell me that this changes mostly the cutover frequency .. kinda like a built in crossover... anyway... all on maximum... sOUNDS FREAKN GREAT!!!!! I do have 3 JL 8" instead of the stock sub so i cannot say how it will respond to the L being on 20... anyway.... the FM button gives you controls for L, R, and W... this controls fading 0 - 80... 0 being normal... 80 being the speakers pretty much dont play anything...

this is the best hidden feature by far on the LEX!!!

THANK YOU FOR WHOEVER FOUND THIS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-06, 03:10 PM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Default Seat Adjustments?? Custom??

Anybody have any knowledge of additional drivers seat setting beyond the normal adjustments??

The reason I ask is because the wifes 98 GS has a deeper (more shallow, lower towards the floor) seat setting than my 98 GS. It seems that when I drive in her car, the memory setting allows for the seat to dip (lower) in the rear of the seat than my car ever did or does. Her seat setting are much more comfortable than my car and I am unable to adjust mine similar to her's.

Is there a trick similar to the steering wheel (tap 6 or 8 times) for additional adjustments

Thanks and lemme know-

Doug

PS-Great threads deserve the BBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMPPPP
Old 09-12-06, 06:46 PM
Krupski2
Driver

Originally Posted by dcentric
I found a good string on this in the ES group. It applies to the GS as well as i just verified it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167521

This is a good DIY. But, if you want to replace it with a Lexus (or other brand) air filter, this will also work as well

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=filter
Old 09-12-06, 10:57 PM
jesod
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DruMnBaSS
LOL my baad... was totaly having a brain fart at work...

so since im an audio freak... i pushed every button .. here it is

once you get to the AUDIO menu you have 2 options.. your FM button will give you P1 P2 and L... these settings control the EQ. i personally not wanting to push my up button 275 times. went backwards from 0 to 275 0 to 175 for the P2 and 0 to 20 for the L... WOWOWOWOW.... does my audio sound better and deeper... it is however not very very HUGE as to going to your good ol audio button and turning up the GAIN on BASS, MID, HI.... HOWEVER my ears tell me that this changes mostly the cutover frequency .. kinda like a built in crossover... anyway... all on maximum... sOUNDS FREAKN GREAT!!!!! I do have 3 JL 8" instead of the stock sub so i cannot say how it will respond to the L being on 20... anyway.... the FM button gives you controls for L, R, and W... this controls fading 0 - 80... 0 being normal... 80 being the speakers pretty much dont play anything...

this is the best hidden feature by far on the LEX!!!

THANK YOU FOR WHOEVER FOUND THIS!!!!!!!!!!!
That is pretty funny about the 1 and 6 buttons, feel you man I do that kind of stuff all the time.
I personally like mine on 7 on F and R and just adjusting P1 to 3 or 4, subtle changes but it makes the stock stereo much better as far as what I think sound good, and obviously that's all that matters to me
Old 09-13-06, 01:13 PM
bandgap112
Rookie

I was vacuuming my car last weekend and decided to take a look at my a/c filter. To my surprise, it was clean. I then realized that the car had 60K service recently, so probably the dealer replaced the a/c filter during that time.

Bandgap
Old 09-13-06, 01:23 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Default Audio Adjustments

I have a 01 with Mark Levinson audio, no nav. I can get into the diagnostics by holding down the 1 & 6 buttons while pressing the DISC button three times. It will run the diagnostics but I have yet to find out how to access the adjustments. Pressing AM does nothing. The procedure for doing this is in the service manual, but no mention of being able to adjust speaker level. I figure if it's something that can be done, it must be in a TSB. I really would love to be able to boost the sub a little.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Bill
Old 09-13-06, 07:23 PM
45jimmy
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good info!

Quick Reply: Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known