GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

All o2 Sensors showing 0 Volts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 06:09 PM
Hypnotyk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceb58
Has this vehicle ever run correctly since you have owned it? You really don't give us much information.

Pacesetter manifold? Did it run right before you replaced it? Did you change the O2 sensors when you replaced it? What type of anti-seize did you use on the O2 sensors if any?
Yes vehicle ran fine and was my daily driver before thise happened. When MAF is unplugged I get codes for the MAF. When Maf is plugged in, there is no codes. When this all happened i had just got some fuel and was driving home then it started acting like it was running out of fuel and not wanting to go above 50mph and got worse as i continued to drive it home.

Yes I used pacesetters and I used denso o2's with and used the copper looking antisieze it came with. That was replaced prior to this happening however before and after that i always had lean code p0171 which does not show now oddly even being able to get it to operating temps and drive around in my yard.
Old 03-22-17, 06:10 PM
Hypnotyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Brickbeats
Check for broken or open grounds, they are usually black and white wires. You may have some mounted on the back of the engine somewhere that may be disconnected or broken.
Ill have to see if I can find a wire diagram that shows where they all go!
Old 03-22-17, 07:50 PM
Hypnotyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vijayn
Is there any codes?
The MAF sensor that you changed, was it brand new and the correct type? Because the 2jzgte maf also fits the plug too I think. Unplugging the MAF sensor would put the car into a type of safe mode because it cant read the amount of air coming accurately anymore.

Yip a vacuum leak would definitely cause problems especially under load depending how bad it is. If the leak is before the maf, then it doesn't matter too much just getting a little unfiltered air coming in. But if the leak is after the maf, then your getting un-metered air coming into the engine which is why its running lean.
You could try spray your carb cleaner around vacuum hoses and joins to see whether it idles higher. If it does, then you found the leak.
Im trying to figure out how to upload these 2 videos I took. I sprayed carb cleaner on the valve cover and it accelerated pretty high almost like i shot dow the intake directly.. Im going to order some valve cover gaskets and new spark plugs because even while accelerating it was pretty rough sounding like maybe all cylinders werent firing. Also no change in my o2 volts when spraying carb cleaner. they just remained at 0 However my fuel trim gets a little funky when pressing the gas. Its normally sitting at 19.5% but when floored it drops to 7% give or take. In one of the videos I was trying to show you when i press the gas abd hikd it without letting off it shoots up to 1800 rpm when warmed up but falls back down to 700. If i press then let off the gas right after when it reaches its peak rpm it will slowly lower back to its normal rpm. Idk if that means anything lol. ill test with my multimeter ill have to see if it has that setting. I kniw my maf reading goes up in g/s when rpm goes up then sits roughly around 5 when idling
Old 03-22-17, 10:23 PM
vijayn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats good, so at least you found the air leak, hope theres no other leaks. That 19.5% ft means that the system was lean and it had add additional 19.5% on the pulse width of the injectors which is high amount. The max amount is + or - 10%. After fixing your leaks, that should bring the ft down
Old 03-23-17, 12:36 AM
Hypnotyk
Driver School Candidate

Thats good, so at least you found the air leak, hope theres no other leaks. That 19.5% ft means that the system was lean and it had add additional 19.5% on the pulse width of the injectors which is high amount. The max amount is + or - 10%. After fixing your leaks, that should bring the ft down
Huge improvement today! So I pulled throttle body and my valve cpver bolts in the back were super loose! Tightened those pulled all the spark plugs cleaned the oil off of them and cleaned the inside of coils and wires out and now she idles perfect and i have o2 voltage! She still chokes out starving for fuel once it hits 2k rpms but like i said engine idles smooth now which makes me super happy lol. Gonna recheck fuel pressure tomorrow and see whats up. I know all my injectors are firing. Gonna swap my other maf in there too and see if that helps
Old 03-23-17, 09:40 AM
Hypnotyk
Driver School Candidate

My buddy is thinking MAF any thoughts?
Old 03-23-17, 12:01 PM
vijayn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats great news mate, although the long term ft are still high though at around 16% - 19%. It might pay to reset the ecu and then let it idle for around 10- 20 minutes so the fuel trims can learn again since you fixed an a leak. So those current ltft might change depending how long you left it running after your tightened those bolts. Looks like oxygen sensors don't need replacement which is good. If the ltft stays the same after a period of time, then the system is still trying to compensate a lean mixture.
Things that could cause a lean mixture -

At the top of my head:
Sensors - maf reading a low amount of air, TPS reading low readings, coolant sensor can cause lean mixture too but only when the engine is cold.
Actuators - fuel pump wearing out (may only see problems when accelerating), fuel filter partially blocked (again may only see problems when accelerating), fuel leak (smell of fuel), leaky injector seals, Could also be ignition problems. You would need to to test the Coils and HT leads with a spark tester or just use a spark plug with a bigger than normal gap.
But also double check theres no vacuum leaks anywhere.
Old 03-23-17, 07:05 PM
Hypnotyk
Driver School Candidate

Thats great news mate, although the long term ft are still high though at around 16% - 19%. It might pay to reset the ecu and then let it idle for around 10- 20 minutes so the fuel trims can learn again since you fixed an a leak. So those current ltft might change depending how long you left it running after your tightened those bolts. Looks like oxygen sensors don't need replacement which is good. If the ltft stays the same after a period of time, then the system is still trying to compensate a lean mixture.
Things that could cause a lean mixture -

At the top of my head:
Sensors - maf reading a low amount of air, TPS reading low readings, coolant sensor can cause lean mixture too but only when the engine is cold.
Actuators - fuel pump wearing out (may only see problems when accelerating), fuel filter partially blocked (again may only see problems when accelerating), fuel leak (smell of fuel), leaky injector seals, Could also be ignition problems. You would need to to test the Coils and HT leads with a spark tester or just use a spark plug with a bigger than normal gap.
But also double check theres no vacuum leaks anywhere.
Thanks for that detailed reply! I know she has a hard time on cold starts and idles a little rough till she warms up. I know I have steady 48 psi at idle and under load so im good there. I know I dont have fuel leak because it holds pressure pretty well. I may have an extra tps laying around i can try. (benefits of owning 3 other 2j cars haha) Thanks again! Ill get back to you soon!