GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Another sad, mad accident/collision thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 06:37 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

GS400, of course!
Old 03-19-17, 08:18 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG

Now looking for alternatives. There's a nice black GS400 (better throttle response? Bad balljoints). Or an IS250 AWD for my practical side. Or a Honda Ridgeline. Don't know. Just wish I could keep my GS.
the black with tan interior on Kijiji? I was looking at that one too, I ended up getting a black on black GS300 with 100,000km out of Toronto since everything I looked at here some kid had ruined the fenders or it was 300,000km
Old 03-19-17, 09:32 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sylvan
the black with tan interior on Kijiji? I was looking at that one too, I ended up getting a black on black GS300 with 100,000km out of Toronto since everything I looked at here some kid had ruined the fenders or it was 300,000km
Actually there's is a GS400 out of Calgary, AB and it's slightly higher mileage at 268K. I sent an inquiry email about it's timing belt/water pump/ball joint status. I'm also leaning toward an AWD G35X. Really like those although their engine drone is an issue. Nowhere near smooth and quiet as the GS but I consider their styling a point or so above the GS.
Old 03-20-17, 11:02 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It should be totalled.
​​​​​​​My last GS had less damage than that $$$ wise and was totalled
Old 03-20-17, 12:08 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

My 98 GS4 had very similar rear end damage only back in the summer of 2014. The insurance was not willing to repair it for fear there maybe underlying damage to the frame that can't be seen without partial dismantling. My car was otherwise in excellent condition and the Insurance appraiser also noted this in the initial estimate. I negotiated with the insurance to buy back my car and that they would not brand the car a salvage. I did a lot of the leg work in sourcing a used bumper and tail lights. A reputable body shop pulled the back trunk lip panel straight and in doing so also pulled the right quarter panel back so the door alignment with the quarter panel was spaced correctly. The body shop also painted my used bumper. There was no other issue with the car. The alignment had not changed and it drives as well as it ever did. All in all I actually made money buying back and repairing my car.

In your case you also have front end damage so pretty good chance your car will not be repaired. I would guess however that it is easily repairable if you so choose. I have seen similar front end damage repaired with little trouble. The key is to try and do as much as you can on your own and source used parts or find a parts car. Hope it works out for you.
The following users liked this post:
MattyG (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 02:07 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Man that's tough to see. My '99 GS400 has been in two front end wrecks (once I hit a deer, and the other rear-ended someone at low speed). Both times the insurance company repaired it but I was worried they might not. If, however, they had totalled out my GS I would have looked for the same one just with lower miles.
Old 03-21-17, 04:28 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Yeah that's my instinct too. Find another GS, but there is the temptation of the G35 too. I drove two examples of those before I settled on the 430. The G35 is absolutely wired to the road but the earlier models don't quite have the interior quality of the 2GS. In styling terms the G has a slight overall edge there.

There might be a roadblock here already though. The guy who rear ended me has not reported the accident to his insurer, which means - no report, no claims process. There is of course a police report. He had to do that.
Old 03-21-17, 07:28 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Yeah that's my instinct too. Find another GS, but there is the temptation of the G35 too. I drove two examples of those before I settled on the 430. The G35 is absolutely wired to the road but the earlier models don't quite have the interior quality of the 2GS. In styling terms the G has a slight overall edge there.

There might be a roadblock here already though. The guy who rear ended me has not reported the accident to his insurer, which means - no report, no claims process. There is of course a police report. He had to do that.
one of my friends ran into an issue where he had an accident with a drunk driver on hiway 2. police even charged her but her dad told his insurance company my buddy hit her, he was months and months fighting it so buddy can make it difficult if he avoids his insurance company. Your company might take care of you and go after his company for the money.... good luck either way. I owned a G35 I did like it mine was very highly modified if you Google Sylvan Lake V35 (. http://slammered-inc.com/2011/07/the-vanilla-gorilla/ )should find some pictures. However I think the GS is such a better car, the G35 is A sportier ride for sure but the GS is a lot nicer all around in my opinion

Last edited by Sylvan; 03-21-17 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 08:41 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sylvan
one of my friends ran into an issue where he had an accident with a drunk driver on hiway 2. police even charged her but her dad told his insurance company my buddy hit her, he was months and months fighting it so buddy can make it difficult if he avoids his insurance company. Your company might take care of you and go after his company for the money.... good luck either way. I owned a G35 I did like it mine was very highly modified if you Google Sylvan Lake V35 (. http://slammered-inc.com/2011/07/the-vanilla-gorilla/ )should find some pictures. However I think the GS is such a better car, the G35 is A sportier ride for sure but the GS is a lot nicer all around in my opinion
Thanks for the info. Yeah I was pretty much going to buy a 2004 G35X before I got the GS430. The G was at a Kia dealership but it had problems with a lot of tire vibrations/noises. If it had not been for some of that V6 drone and the suspension issues, that would have been my choice. I'm definitely a corner man. But after I discovered my GS, of course I loved it. Styling wise, the G35 wins hands down, but on interior quality and rip-roaring hard core power the GS400/430 can eat up anything in its path.
Old 03-23-17, 09:15 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Well update: no word and no contact from the other parties. But I also had another idea which was also on my list of vehicles. Looking at an early to mid 2000's 4Runner. I really like these. Practical and considering where I live in winter snow country - a nice vehicle. And it's a Toyota. I really like that. Opinions?
Old 03-23-17, 09:53 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Well update: no word and no contact from the other parties. But I also had another idea which was also on my list of vehicles. Looking at an early to mid 2000's 4Runner. I really like these. Practical and considering where I live in winter snow country - a nice vehicle. And it's a Toyota. I really like that. Opinions?
I've never been in a 4th gen(03-?) before, but I used to have a 3rd gen 4Runner. I never had any problems with it and it still ran great when I sold it with 245k miles. They're great in the snow as well. Only thing I didn't like was interior space, cause I'm a big guy. That's why I sold it and got a 100 series Land Cruiser, now I feel like I drive around on my couch
Old 03-23-17, 10:16 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
I've never been in a 4th gen(03-?) before, but I used to have a 3rd gen 4Runner. I never had any problems with it and it still ran great when I sold it with 245k miles. They're great in the snow as well. Only thing I didn't like was interior space, cause I'm a big guy. That's why I sold it and got a 100 series Land Cruiser, now I feel like I drive around on my couch
Yeah, my same issue too. Tall guy in a 4Runner. I guess that's what makes them a little better in handling. You sit on the floor but you have nice ground clearance. I test drove one before I bought my GS. Very impressive and nimble. I can't imagine how good it might be in deep snow etc.
Old 03-24-17, 06:03 AM
DWCOILE
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

My 2001 GS430

died may 2015. I walked away with no injuries
Old 03-26-17, 01:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry to hear about your GS, sucks when you have a nice car that you love wrecked like that.

Since you are in Canada, you need to buy a Toyota Aristo. Its the JDM version of the GS, looks like your car, but under the hood is the 2JZ-GTE twin turbo Supra motor. If you thought your GS430 with the V8 was fast, try driving one of those with the boost turned up just a tad.
Old 03-27-17, 07:37 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Sorry to hear about your GS, sucks when you have a nice car that you love wrecked like that.

Since you are in Canada, you need to buy a Toyota Aristo. Its the JDM version of the GS, looks like your car, but under the hood is the 2JZ-GTE twin turbo Supra motor. If you thought your GS430 with the V8 was fast, try driving one of those with the boost turned up just a tad.
Thank you. Yeah the GS is a fast car with the 2JZ-GTE. I guess I don't want to tempt fate with a RHD in a LHD world. A kid in my town had one of those and it was "something wicked" fast. He was trying to sell it to me, but ultimately I had my GS, so that was that. We drove on the main drag and it was downright quick. At this point I've become the old man. Practical, fun and looking at a wide spectrum of cars. 4Runner or Accord V6 coupe with a 6 speed manual.

Quick Reply: Another sad, mad accident/collision thread