GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

No master key?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-17, 09:42 AM
crossface
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No master key?

So, after reading numerous posts on this subject, all of them extremely helpful of course, I'm still not exactly comprehending the concept of no master key. I am looking into purchasing a GS400 with NO keys whatsoever. It is however a one owner car & the seller can't find ANY of the keys. My question is, to make sure this is possible, is it as simple as obtaining a copy of the key from the dealership, then following all the directions on programming a remote key? Will this solve the issue? It surely can't be this simple. If not, what other alternatives can I explore to remedy this situation without having to change out the ECU? The nearest Lexus dealership is 150 miles away from where the car is located. Thanks for any suggestions & any replies.
Old 03-08-17, 10:25 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

you will need new keys and a ecu,as a courtesy lexus will do this one time only free of charge , you just pay for the labor, around 150$,just have it towed there, do a search online it has happend before to others.
The following users liked this post:
crossface (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17, 11:15 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I don't understand not having a master key but it does happen. I came across a 2002 SC430 recently that I want to buy as a second car and all the owner has is the valet key, none of the master keys. At least I wouldn't have to tow it to Lexus to get a new master key made! But I guess that's how he bought it from the previous owner and was fine with it.
Old 03-08-17, 11:38 AM
crossface
Driver School Candidate

Default No master key?

Hey, thanks for the quick response, lextout, but I actually called the dealership in Lexington & explained the situation. They said I was looking at around $800 total for the same procedure you just mentioned. They said the cost of a new key would be about $200 & the cost of the ECU replacement & reprogram would be about $600! Plus not to mention that's not even my cost for having it towed some 150 miles away! Now you can see why I was trying to get by on paying for a new key being cut from the dealership & hoping I could program it myself. Obviously that's not possible. Oh well, I've even thought about getting in touch with the locksmith company Lexus suggests on their website to come out & cut a new master & reprogram the ECU onsite. The name of the company eludes me currently, but according to their website, $25 for a service charge, anywhere from $150-$300 for the cost of a new key & I believe $200 for the flashing of the ECU. It does seem pricey, but given the haul all the way to Lexington 150 miles away, not that unreasonable. I don't know. Perhaps just play the waiting game & see if the seller can locate ANY key. Thanks again for your advice & quick response.
Old 03-08-17, 01:36 PM
crossface
Driver School Candidate

Well, just got off the phone with the folks at American Best Locksmith Company & they can't help me either. Seems they don't have a tech within my area that's willing to travel. Albeit when I explained the situation to the person who answered my call stated, & I quote, "oh man, that sucks." So if I can't say anything else for that possible solution to my problem, at least I can say they are a sympathetic lot. Anywho, back to the drawing board I suppose.
Old 03-08-17, 01:58 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

OP one thing you might consider is to negotiate the price down on the vehicle to replace the key. That's what I'm doing right now on the SC430 I am considering buying. He took some off to have a master key made and to fix the convertible top (sometimes it doesn't go down all the way, we think it's a sensor). Now, the owner might not take $1k off but anything is helpful...maybe meet you halfway? Also, in my case the owner agreed to let my Indy check out the car before purchase. He's actually going to drop the car off next Friday. I highly recommend you do this. I'm more than happy to pay the $120 diagnostic fee vs. getting into more problems later. There are some things my Indy can see that I can't.
crossface (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17, 02:29 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Guys, cant he just by a used ECU with a matching master key? Ive seen them on ebay numerous times sometimes for only $200. Or would he need the matching igniter too? I dont know if igniter is the word, im talking about the piece under the steering wheel that amplifies the key signal to send to the ECU under the hood. I dont know if they are ECU specific (or need programming) but it would seem like they all just only amplify the key signal so as long as you have a master key and Matching ECU from Ebay, it should crank.

You might have to program the door locks too I am not sure.

EDIT: Also getting a new key cut to the VIN of the car, or key code and replacing the transponder chip from key case to key case.

Last edited by GS400V8; 03-08-17 at 07:09 PM.
crossface (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17, 02:43 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

If the owner doesn't provide a key it's really anyone's guess as to the condition of the car. I would have the owner do a hard search and locate a key to make it easy on everyone. If you go through all this trouble how do you know the car will run?
crossface (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17, 03:03 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

You can buy an ECU with a key, but the trick would be turning the ignition to "ON" to get to programming mode if the cut isn't right. The only conditions the ECU needs to enter programming mode is to have the ignition "ON" and a master chip be recognized. Then you do the dance and stick in the key you want to add to the system.

If you can transplant transponder chips from a key with the wrong grooves, that should work.
crossface (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17, 04:58 PM
crossface
Driver School Candidate

Oh, Kevin3344, I do know the history of this car & I for sure know that it runs. My former boss's mom & dad bought the car brand spanking new off the showroom floor in '99 & have been the only owners. I say former boss because unfortunately the company they owned & operated went out of business after 58 years, & I worked for them for eleven years, so there's no trust issues as far as the car is concerned. And besides, they have a 2008 LS so they're not really too concerned with the '99GS with +240k miles. They are really good people & I could NEVER talk them down to a lower price than the literal STEAL I'm getting it for. To kind of set the tone for the kind of people I'm talking about here, I was concerned about having all the money to pay for the car upfront. I was told not to worry about it, get the alternator fixed (you know, the ever present leaking power steering pump, by the way, that's the only thing wrong with the car), get it licensed, transferred, tagged & insured & they said we'd worry about paying for the car later. Good people. I just wish they were better at keeping up with car keys. Haha!
Old 03-08-17, 05:18 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Why not just tell the seller to cover the cost of a new key if he wants to sell the car? That really doesn't sound unreasonable unless it's so cheap that the cost of a new key is still worth it.
crossface (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17, 05:38 PM
crossface
Driver School Candidate

Believe me when I say firelizard that the cost of what I'm getting the car for is very worth it. To be honest, they're not selling me the car because they HAVE to, it's because I've wanted the damn thing for so long, so they WANT to. As a matter of fact, when my boss sent me the text telling me they couldn't find the key, he was just as upset. He said he would tear his house apart to try & find it. I'm just expecting the worst & trying to see what other options I have. That's why I chose to become a member of this VERY knowledgeable website. And it's because of all the feedback that I've received so far, & still hope to see plenty more yet to come, that I remain optimistic.
Old 03-08-17, 06:05 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, seems like you know the car! If that is the case why not have the car towed to the dealer, have them do the work, and have a friend drive you out to drive it back? Yes, it's a cost but I would feel more comfortable having the dealer do it than to switch everything out. Btw, my 1999 GS400 has 224,000 and I'll never sell her! These cars run forever. As I mentioned in my post I'm looking for an SC430 for just a summer / weekend car. My GS400 will always be my daily driver!!
crossface (03-08-17)
Old 03-09-17, 07:24 AM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

How pissed would you be if I buy it out from under you?
Old 03-15-17, 06:37 AM
crossface
Driver School Candidate

Default No Master Key?

Alright. So an update as far as my situation is involved. Just got off the phone with the seller. He said he was able to locate an old key with the proper key cut, issue is the transponder chip is gone from the shell casing. So I suppose now my question is where do I go from here? Does the key blade he possess of any any use to me at all? Can I replace the immobilizer chip on the inside of the broken shell casing? Ugh! Please someone give me good news.

Quick Reply: No master key?