GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I have these 4 code and I don't know what else to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-17, 09:03 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I have these 4 code and I don't know what else to do?

Hi guys,

I have not been posting anything for a long time because my work is consuming me a lot of time. This is the 4 code that I have found on my car.
B0116
C1201
P0420
P0430
And please, before you write or answer to me, search here on the search bar or in google web, I've been doing it that for the last 2 week and everything what I find I've tried before post this. Even in the web all the thread that I read, does not have an upgrade. The check light, the vcs and vcs off turn ON again after I try something new to try to fix the issue but only when I driving about 40 to 55mph or driving slowly. Is when the 3 light come back. If I driving the car on the high way all day, the lights no turn ON. 🤔🤔

Let me say all that I did it already to try to fix the issue and only one month with this issue.

1. All 4 Denso O2 Sensor have only 3 months old. Also, I put the scanner 3 day ago and all 4 sensor work perfectly.

2. I changed the Exhaust Manifold for one that I had extra with a little mileage the same year as mine and the light come back. 😣😣

3. Spark Plugs are not even a year old same a the spark wires. I take out the TB to check the coils and spark plugs and everything look normal in that area. Just a little oil leak come from the valve cover and I say normal because that cover valve gaskets was change it more of 4 years a go. So, that's why I say that is normal. Is just a little oil leak by piston 4, 5 and 6. As normal on 2JZ engine. 😊

So, this thread is to someone or guys that had those codes previously, what you discovered it was and how you fixed it?

Thank you in advance for the help you can give me.
Old 02-05-17, 09:44 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

I forget that the car no given me any idle issue in anyway and in gas 18 to 19.5 miles in city and 21 in highway. So, I'm out of idea how to fix this?
Old 02-05-17, 01:10 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcon
The check light, the vcs and vcs off turn ON again after I try something new to try to fix the issue.
When that happened to my '99 GS400 it was the throttle body. Take it to the dealer and have them check it out. It will run you about $100 for a diagnostic but at least you will know the issue.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (02-10-17)
Old 02-05-17, 04:01 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Just for the record, definitely has nothing to do with your throttle body. There are at least 100 different reasons the VSC lights are on, including the throttle body.

I'll PM you in a moment MC
tiguy99 (02-10-17)
Old 02-09-17, 04:30 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 4 trouble codes

Firs how many miles you have on the car. Two main codes r the po420 and 430 they r catalytic converter codes b1 and b2. Possible both cats r bad. Didyou had any type of repairs done lately?repairs done on the car lately?
tiguy99 (02-10-17)
Old 02-10-17, 01:44 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Just for the record, definitely has nothing to do with your throttle body. There are at least 100 different reasons the VSC lights are on, including the throttle body.

I'll PM you in a moment MC
Hi Mr Jokster,

When I said, I pull the TB out, was to check the coils, spark plugs and spark plus wires on the area to see if any coils, any plug wire on the coils, spark plug wire or spark plugs was in bad condition. I know for sure like you saying; definitely has nothing to do with your throttle body. But you finish saying; including the throttle body. lol
Always, too many thank you for your help.
Old 02-10-17, 01:53 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by burteboy
Firs how many miles you have on the car. Two main codes r the po420 and 430 they r catalytic converter codes b1 and b2. Possible both cats r bad. Didyou had any type of repairs done lately?repairs done on the car lately?
First, My Baby is only 112,xxx miles
Second, I know Code P0420 is Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold B1 P1 and Code P0430 is Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold B2 P1
Third, No a repair for the last 2 months. Like I said; 3 Months ago I change the 4 O2 Sensor because my OBD II/ EOBD told my P0153 Sensor Circuit Slow Respond Bank 2 Sensor 1
and that was the reason to change all 4. Just because I want to change all 4 because still under warranty and I change it. But again, nothing work or repair after that.
Thanks anyway
Old 02-10-17, 07:08 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default trouble codes

Before the codes did you had any work performed on the vehicle, your problem could be electrical.
Old 02-11-17, 06:41 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by burteboy
Before the codes did you had any work performed on the vehicle, your problem could be electrical.

No Sr. Any work on it.
Thanks for you help
Old 03-28-17, 04:08 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Uptade,

I buy a new exhaust manifold and that fix the problem with all the code. Finally
Old 03-28-17, 04:11 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Upsss,

Update is what I mean.
Old 03-28-17, 04:25 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Im confused. How did the exhaust manifold fix the problem. the factory manifolds are made of stainless steel and not likely rusted out. plus, they have separated flanges so the possibility of cracking is also not likely. do you by any chance mean the y pipe after the cats? maybe by chance replacing the manifold you put new gaskets on between the manifold and catalytic converter and thats what ultimately fixed your issue. BUT!!! if you only put one manifold on, how did you resolve both banks codes? im assuming this is the v8.
Old 03-28-17, 10:40 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by badblackgs
Im confused. How did the exhaust manifold fix the problem. the factory manifolds are made of stainless steel and not likely rusted out. plus, they have separated flanges so the possibility of cracking is also not likely. do you by any chance mean the y pipe after the cats? maybe by chance replacing the manifold you put new gaskets on between the manifold and catalytic converter and thats what ultimately fixed your issue. BUT!!! if you only put one manifold on, how did you resolve both banks codes? im assuming this is the v8.
Hi badblackgs,

First, Please don't misunderstand with what I'm going to say or answer to you.

Second, I want to say that you maybe right in your comment o idea, but you need to remember that all pats of any car or equipment can fail in different ways when they want and many times there is no reason o explanation why something like this happen, but happen no more what you, I and everyone read who the part is made with all the specification, right?

Third, The second exhaust manifold that I install when I bought it from a junk yard and I don't the time that was out side, but I saw the cluster when I put a battery turn the ignition key the miles was 108,xxx . What always made me think that the car that I buy the exhaust manifold the head of the engine was losses and not set to the engine that this exhaust was clogged. Long story shot. The junk yard sold it to me for $50.00 and that's why I bought it. When I bought something cheap, this is what you get, right?

Four, Finally, I went to a local muffer shop that the owner is a very close friend of mine for years and he had removed the small cat that is in the Y pipe, but he also told me that he had a new exhaust manifold for my car and that he guaranteed that my code problems would be over if I installed that exhaust manifold that he had in his shop. He offered me 5 years warranty on the exhaust. I wait a week to be 100% sure that the problem not was the little cat in the Y pipe. Well, I came back to him to buy the exhaust. I at first doubted that it was the little cat in the Y pipe and so I waited a week before returning to my friend. He installed the new exhaust and I deleted the code and it's been a month and the codes have not returned. I'm very happy.

Last edited by Mcon; 03-28-17 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Ad comment
Old 03-29-17, 09:10 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

ok, lesson in terminology. the exhaust manifold is what bolts to the cylinder head and directs the exhaust gasses out of the motor, down to the catalytic converter, and out thru the Y pipe onto the third cat, than out the rest of the exhaust system. Sounds like you had your Y pipe replaced. That is the pipe that is shaped like a "Y" that attaches to the outlet of the catalytic converters. Glad you got your car back on the road.
Old 03-31-17, 03:05 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by badblackgs
ok, lesson in terminology. the exhaust manifold is what bolts to the cylinder head and directs the exhaust gasses out of the motor, down to the catalytic converter, and out thru the Y pipe onto the third cat, than out the rest of the exhaust system. Sounds like you had your Y pipe replaced. That is the pipe that is shaped like a "Y" that attaches to the outlet of the catalytic converters. Glad you got your car back on the road.
Hi again badblackgs,

Again, you are right with your comment about the exhaust manifold and catalytic. But maybe you don't about that 2001 to 2005 GS300 the cat come all together with the exhaust manifold. This exhaust manifold for 2001 to 2005 are different from 1998 to 2000 on the GS300 and I think, but I'm not 100% sure the GS400 you can buy the cat separated and install just the cat on the manifold. That's why I said all the time exhaust manifold on my comments, because both catalytic come together in one full piece ( for my car 2005 ). But again, you are 100% right. Thanks for you comments and help Sr..

Quick Reply: I have these 4 code and I don't know what else to do?