GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Broken Hose question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-17, 09:24 AM
akobari
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Hose question?

Hello all,

I was doing a Valve Cover gasket replacement job on a 2004 GS300 this weekend, and by accident I damaged part of this hose shown in this picture by red arrow, it has a white color marking on the top. It was extremely hard, compare to the other hoses when I removed, Is this because of being very old an getting brittle, or it is made of special material being extremely rigid. Can some one please explain, what the name of this hose is and also the purpose of this hose, what does it do? I noticed it does not have any metal clamp! is this normal? I assume whatever it is , it does not have high pressure, fluid or air inside. Can I buy it from Auto Zone, or need to be ordered from Lexus. One last question, if I get another replacement part, do I need to take out IMF out which is a lot of work, or I can just replace this hose with no other disassembly. because I can see both end of this hose attachment, it' just very hard and inflexible.

Thank for any help or clue I can get for above questions.

t
Old 01-19-17, 08:00 PM
DWCOILE
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey akobari it is just a vacuum hose that is brittle and hard from getting hot-cold. You can get any type of hose but keep in mind it is pre-bent for a reason, so if you do get a hose from auto zone cut it longer that the original because it will bend and close of any vacuum flowing. thats why an oe part works best. Or you can see if they carry a pre-bent hose you can cut to fit. NO need to remove any other parts if you can get it off. One trick to remove it is get a razor knife and cut the hose along the white mark and peel it off.
Old 01-23-17, 05:52 AM
akobari
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DWCOILE, Thanks for reply and advice, As you said it was a vacuum hose as part of emission system, because of 90 degree bend , I did not bother, I just ordered one from Lexus for 20 bucks. I was surprise how soft the new is, and the old one is so brittle, that I have to crack it open.