GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

ebay projector lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17, 06:11 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay projector lights

looking to buy some projector lights from eBay. Has anyone dealt with seller "nyc-retro-guru".
here is the link to the listing for the custom projector lights he sells.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-GS-300-400-1998-2005-Custom-Headlights-With-Infiniti-Q45-Projectors-/221774813422?
Old 01-05-17, 07:18 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Have been away for a while but wow....can't believe they actual sell retrofits on ebay!
As a former HID retrofitter on here I always caution end users to deal with actual members of this site.

I used to warranty my work for a period of time in case anything went wrong.
Not sure how buying it via auction would benefit you if you run into any problems.

With that being said, I'd search the seller's username on here (and or hidplanet) and see if they're an active member.
If so, I'd ask whatever questions necessary before purchasing then proceed once you felt comfortable
Old 01-05-17, 07:29 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Have been away for a while but wow....can't believe they actual sell retrofits on ebay!
As a former HID retrofitter on here I always caution end users to deal with actual members of this site.

Not sure how buying it via auction would benefit you if you run into any problems.

With that being said, I'd search the seller's username on here (and or hidplanet) and see if they're an active member.
If so, I'd ask whatever questions necessary before purchasing then proceed once you felt comfortable

thanks for the tips man.
I only recently started looking into retros but there doesn't seem to be many around here any more. or at least not now
do you guys know of anyone else on here that does retros or is selling some?
I did look into luxuarymods but they were very expensive. 450 for labor plus all parts. I imagine that's an easy 1200 for everything. A little too much for headlights I think (or for me at least).

thanks guys.
Old 01-05-17, 08:02 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm willing to bet he's buying brand new NON oem housings and retrofitting them. If having OEM housings is something you want, you might want to ask if they're OEM. Reason I think he's doing that is because he only offers these retros for NON HID GS's and he mentions he can make them to fit the auto-levelers. Also, the clear lens's dont have the same sheen as OEM's have, they're more of a cheaper looking transparent plastic like a polymethyl methacrylate rather than a polycarbonate.

Not a huge deal, but some rather use all OEM stuff. I think its a great idea though on his part, it costs the same for brand new non oem housings as it is for used ones, brand new looking housings are easier to sell for such a high price, great margin of profit.
Old 01-05-17, 08:06 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by robertoyou
thanks for the tips man.
I only recently started looking into retros but there doesn't seem to be many around here any more. or at least not now
do you guys know of anyone else on here that does retros or is selling some?
I did look into luxuarymods but they were very expensive. 450 for labor plus all parts. I imagine that's an easy 1200 for everything. A little too much for headlights I think (or for me at least).

thanks guys.
Off hand I don't.
Check the lighting section and post a request there.

I'm sure you'll find some reasonable people who may do it.
That's where I used to hang out back in the day!

You could also attempt to do it yourself and save $$$ for other mods.
GS headlamps are more simpler and forgiving for a beginner vs some other cars

Last edited by tiguy99; 01-05-17 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-05-17, 09:19 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I'm willing to bet he's buying brand new NON oem housings and retrofitting them. If having OEM housings is something you want, you might want to ask if they're OEM. Reason I think he's doing that is because he only offers these retros for NON HID GS's and he mentions he can make them to fit the auto-levelers. Also, the clear lens's dont have the same sheen as OEM's have, they're more of a cheaper looking transparent plastic like a polymethyl methacrylate rather than a polycarbonate.

Not a huge deal, but some rather use all OEM stuff. I think its a great idea though on his part, it costs the same for brand new non oem housings as it is for used ones, brand new looking housings are easier to sell for such a high price, great margin of profit.
Whats up man! We havnet talked in forever lol.
I did ask him about the headlights. He uses both! You can choose new aftermarket headlights or used OEM ones which he says he does polish up and get them looking clean. I mentioned to him that i'm looking to replace some foggy ones so that i'm looking to get something cleaner. He said he would send me pics before he did the project so I can see what I'd be getting. He sent me a picture he had of quite a few headlights he has to work with.
Any thoughts if aftermarkets are really that much different than OEM? That's a tough call for me.
Old 01-05-17, 09:28 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Off hand I don't.
Check the lighting section and post a request there.

I'm sure you'll find some reasonable people who may do it.
That's where I used to hang out back in the day!

You could also attempt to do it yourself and save $$$ for other mods.
GS headlamps are more simpler and forgiving for a beginner vs some other cars

I was definitely hoping to deal with someone on CL but couldn't find any for sale.
I'll try to post right now. I'd feel much safer.
I did think about doing the mod myself but I'm a little iffy on this one lol.
Old 01-06-17, 02:33 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Its MY opinion, but I personally see a difference between oem and non oem. But my eye is pretty keen on certain things. The quality I believe is the same, which is probably more important. As for looks, it just has a weird cheap look to it which IMO you can tell that 'something just doesnt look right'. The chrome texture is slightly different and as said, the clear lens is (kinda funny saying it) TOO clear LoL

If you want to deal with a CL'er, most likely I'll be parting my car completely out by the end of the year. I cant say when, but I will be. I'd be selling my headlights for a very stupid ridiculous, here have them for free price LoL but only because they'll be needing some fixing (if the minor issues are really a matter). They look brand new, but tabs are broken a few alignment problems, but they look brand new and function perfectly fine... So something to think of if you're willing to wait.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr Jokster:
robertoyou (01-07-17), tiguy99 (01-06-17)
Old 01-06-17, 05:57 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Nathaniel, you are correct...those are Eagle Eyes headlights. You can barely make it out on the lens...
Old 01-06-17, 08:22 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

One other thing I'd confirm with any Q45 retrofit is that they're using US left hand drive projectors. Ebay is littered with cheaper RHD projectors that will have the cutoff patterns reversed.
Old 01-07-17, 01:47 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Its MY opinion, but I personally see a difference between oem and non oem. But my eye is pretty keen on certain things. The quality I believe is the same, which is probably more important. As for looks, it just has a weird cheap look to it which IMO you can tell that 'something just doesnt look right'. The chrome texture is slightly different and as said, the clear lens is (kinda funny saying it) TOO clear LoL

If you want to deal with a CL'er, most likely I'll be parting my car completely out by the end of the year. I cant say when, but I will be. I'd be selling my headlights for a very stupid ridiculous, here have them for free price LoL but only because they'll be needing some fixing (if the minor issues are really a matter). They look brand new, but tabs are broken a few alignment problems, but they look brand new and function perfectly fine... So something to think of if you're willing to wait.
Jokester. thanks for making this even harder for me to decide LOL.
ANY idea when you'll be parting? I guess technically I can wait. Its just that urge that ive been wanting to do this for years lol

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Nathaniel, you are correct...those are Eagle Eyes headlights. You can barely make it out on the lens...
good catch thank you for pointing this out too!

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
One other thing I'd confirm with any Q45 retrofit is that they're using US left hand drive projectors. Ebay is littered with cheaper RHD projectors that will have the cutoff patterns reversed.
ah very important! I did not know this at all. I will definitely be asking. Now that you mention this, I wouldn't doubt if he is offering the JDM ones since his price seems to be so good at least compared to other prices ive seen
Old 01-07-17, 02:08 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Nathan, I just re-read your retro DIY. you kind of just got me the guts to do it myself. you made it look pretty simple!!!! too simple if anything lol
I know I can find it elsewhere, but since I already have the thread up. Are the LS projectors better than the Q45s? I really love the look of the q45s lol
Old 01-07-17, 02:13 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How nitpicky am I being that I am turned off by the poor grammar? Whether he just does not care to correct or also is using a phone to describe a 900$, modified item, I see that as an issue. You are going to take great care of your work but cannot grammar check your listing?
Old 01-07-17, 06:41 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by robertoyou
Nathan, I just re-read your retro DIY. you kind of just got me the guts to do it myself. you made it look pretty simple!!!! too simple if anything lol
I know I can find it elsewhere, but since I already have the thread up. Are the LS projectors better than the Q45s? I really love the look of the q45s lol
I believe there are others that are better now, however, the last I heard the LS430's are the best and actually the Q's are one of the worst.

One thing that practically NOone understands is that ALL projectors have the exact same output in lighting. The difference between all the projectors is how wide the beam extends from left to right (the degree of the angle). Obviously its pretty much impossible to get a headlight pointing forward to go anywhere behind it for output, so best width of the beam would be 180*, the LS430 projectors are somewhere around the high 160's due to the shrouds they use which is pretty damn close to perfect. Most other projectors are like this ----> \ / yes that bad like a 60* angle of output, so basically you dont see anything to the sides of your car, just directly in front of you. Its not a huge deal to see straight to the sides since when you're driving high speeds, anything directly to the side of you goes by in a fraction of a second thus no reason to see it, however when driving, its cool to be able to see everything

Originally Posted by AmanO
How nitpicky am I being that I am turned off by the poor grammar? Whether he just does not care to correct or also is using a phone to describe a 900$, modified item, I see that as an issue. You are going to take great care of your work but cannot grammar check your listing?
Actually, his grammar is rather well considering English is his second language...
Old 01-07-17, 07:29 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe there are others that are better now, however, the last I heard the LS430's are the best and actually the Q's are one of the worst.

One thing that practically NOone understands is that ALL projectors have the exact same output in lighting. The difference between all the projectors is how wide the beam extends from left to right (the degree of the angle). Obviously its pretty much impossible to get a headlight pointing forward to go anywhere behind it for output, so best width of the beam would be 180*, the LS430 projectors are somewhere around the high 160's due to the shrouds they use which is pretty damn close to perfect. Most other projectors are like this ----> \ / yes that bad like a 60* angle of output, so basically you dont see anything to the sides of your car, just directly in front of you. Its not a huge deal to see straight to the sides since when you're driving high speeds, anything directly to the side of you goes by in a fraction of a second thus no reason to see it, however when driving, its cool to be able to see everything

Actually, his grammar is rather well considering English is his second language...
100% agree with you Nat. GBU

Quick Reply: ebay projector lights