GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Someone help timing done wrong

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 10:28 PM
Sinnerav
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone help timing done wrong

So my brother did the timing on my 2000 gs 30 3.0
L 2jz ge vvti.
after he was done started fine ran fine. the next day the car is running like **** there are 8 different obd codes now. come to find out he set the timing with the lines on the top and he said the crank shift turned a lil once or twice trying to get to the crank shaft seal. also the vcs and vcs off light is also on now. i am running with no rear cat so the engine light is always on. But when I started it the engine light started to blink. i shut it off and havent touched it since that was 5 days ago. some one please tell me how to fix it. I can do it myself, i just didnt know exactly how. I watch him take it apart so I can take it apart fix it and put it back together now. I just dont know how to readjust/reset the timing. some one please help. thank you
paul.
Old 12-07-16, 11:39 AM
skidmarcx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I don't have any pictures I'm doing this from memory...

Assuming you have everything apart already you'll want to set the crankshaft to TDC before you remove the belt... align the crank gear using the dimple and mark on the block (the crankshaft turns twice per revolution of the camshaft)... make sure that the cam gears are relatively close to their markings since you can be off one full revolution on the crankshaft. Once the crankshaft is at TDC you should be able to spot which cam gear is off timing (or both). You need to remove the tensioner in order to remove the timing belt (once removed use a vise or big channel locks to SLOWLY collapse the tensioner and insert the locking pin if you kept it... I've used an Allen wrench to secure it I can't remember what size though, but a piece of bailing wire will work too. After removing the belt you'll need to reset the cam gears and line up their markings then reinstall the timing belt... you want to start with the belt on the crankshaft and work your way around going counterclockwise keeping the taut on the opposite side of the tensioner, so that when you reinstall the tensioner it takes up the slack. Once everything is back together you can verify by rotating the crankshaft two full revolutions and making sure that all the gears line up with their markings.